1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wondering ...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by RMCF, Sep 16, 2000.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Neildo's post below set me thinking. My 1st ever DVD bought was The Matrix, from Virgin at 19.99. I didn't mind paying this price as it was just to have one ready and waiting for my newly ordered player when it arrived. But since then I have not bought a single DVD from the likes of Currys/Dixons/Virgin etc, due to the price that you can pick them up for on the Net (admittedly most of the titles I buy are R1 that I could not buy here anyway). So I was wondering - does anyone out there buy there DVDs from the likes of these stores? I have seen posts from people mentioning 'good deals of 2 for 30.00' - that to me isn't such a great deal.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never buy any DVD or CDs from high street stores. They do not deserve my patronage.

I recall Virgin selling Fargo for GB£27.99 and this really did put me off getting into DVD for at least a year. That's part of the reson why UK Region 2 is still naff.

As for CDs I can buy most top 75 stuff from www.cd-wow.co.uk for £8.99. And this is all the way from Hong Kong.

Virgin, HMV et al are dead in the water. Heh heh.

Gary

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

www.aphasedplasmarifleina40wattrange.com

[This message may have been edited by Jack Straw, MP]

[This message has been edited by APPRIA40WR (edited 16-09-2000).]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK - I buy from the shops you mention occasionally. The reason I got my player multi-region (american player) is so that I could buy and play region 2 discs in case region 2 discs were better than the region 1 equivalent (unlikely I know but still...) but also so that I could make impulse buys. I occasionally like to be able to go into a shop and just buy a DVD off the shelf. Nothing planned, just see if anything catches my eye. I'm more knowledgable about region 1 releases than region 2 so most of the time I'm suprised at what I see on offer.
    I don't have much choice as I usually have the films I want on region 1 already but it is nice to be able to not consider delivery, shipping, etc.

I recently bought Vertigo, Glory ( both from WH Smiths) & Trainspotting(£10 from HMV) and am more than happy with my impulse buys.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I agree with Paul J. I buy the majority of my DVDs online (Region 1) due to the sorts of stuff I want e.g. cult horror titles, banned movies, Japanese anime, etc. Region 2 is good if either you can't get the title on R1 and if on those rare occasions when an R2 title is better than the R1 equivalent.

Plus, I love to browse in high street shops!

Oh, and whilst the difference is marginal, I think that PAL DVD's have slightly better picture quality than R1, but like I said, the difference is negligible!

Pooch

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    It seems from these few replies that Currys/Dixons/Virgin etc do not do a roaring trade from those in the know. I appreciate what is said about it sometimes just being nice to go into Virgin and buy off the shelf, but I would rarely do that any more. I think that the prices that these retailers charge is disraceful, but they will always get customers like Joe Public who has no Net access/no knowledge or just too much money. But if these people knew what you can get DVDs at over the Net most would be shocked. I usually buy R1, but any time that R2 is bought I still buy over the Net. I don't see why I should pay 19.99 when I can get the same disc for 11.00 and have it delivered in 3 or 4 days. I also have to mention music CDs that Gary mentioned above - it has been about 2 years since I bought a CD from a high street retailer - I mean 15.99 for a single CD !! This is the year 2000 - the days of paying that are long gone.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK you need to get out more mate,single cd's are now £9.99 at Andys Records the most anyone charges is £12.99.

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    Sorry Rizzla ...

... but there are countless single CDs in my local Virgin at 15.49.

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my stuff is R1 via mail order, but every now & then HMV or MVC have a sale. You can get some decent discs for £9.99-£11.99 sometimes. I always check at DVD Rewind that the disc is worth having. i.e. not cut for UK distribution.

--------------------------------------------- www.baldyplex.com

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 19-09-2000).]

9. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i read this post i started wondering when was the last time that i got a R2 disc and i have to say that it was a long,long time ago.All my mates buy R1 and have done for what seem's forever.I've even supprised myself by not even looking at them in HMV when my missus is looking up her latest Corr's torture.