1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just why is normal Dialogue volume on DVDs so low?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Saya2001, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Saya2001

Saya2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there :thumbsup:

Not sure if anyone agrees with me on this but watching DVD's, I find the explosions and effects to be loud but have to really put the sound up (to -20dbs) to have a decent hearing of normal dialogue. Has anybody else had this?. Don't get me wrong, I do like effects etc in films but as you know the fairer sex prefers dialogue volume to be loud and effects balanced.

I have a Denon 2805, MA silvers , for fornt and side and sfx for rears. I have tried manually balancing the centre channel through settings but I am sure its no just me or my setup?
    IS that the way DVS's are recorded? Or is it the AMP?

2. chrisp1

chrisp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine movies - epecially action adventure and effects driven films probably are mixed to emphasize events like explosions or whatever (that's my assumption - I may be wrong). If you find dialogue is playing too low in the soundfield, would it help to manually adjust the output level on the centre channel - hence raising the volume of dialogue relative to other sounds?.

I think I'm right in saying most multichannel (if not all) amps allow the level of individual channels to be adjusted to suit.

Dunno if that helps?.

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Do a search for 'calibration' or 'calibrating' using the button top right for threads on how to get your setup right. Setting up all channels to the correct level is vital to get a coherent sound.

4. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Does your amp have any kind of compression feature? Maybe you could put this on to tone down the volume of explosions etc.

I know on Sony amps you can do this and its adjustable as to how much the effect works

5. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dialogue on DVDs isn't too low. It's recorded like that to give a decent dynamic range for effects. I assume you are using your amp to decode the signal rather than the DVD player? Your amp will likely have an option to alter the dynamic range (usually Min/Norm/Max), this turning it down should help keep the missus happy :)

6. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also noticed this,while my HomeCinema sounds better than most Cinemas here in my country,but i always find that it lacks the very high volume dialogue like found on the Cinema.

7. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's worth noting that the AC3 (Dolby Digital) compression algorithm requires a higher data rate for louder sound, so many movies are purposefully mixed with low volume to allow a higher quality of signal.

The end user can then compensate for the low volume by cranking up their amplifier.

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Use the Dynamic Range compression or activate the "Midnight Modus" (or whatever it's called on your amp). This will make the dialogue louder compared to the rest.

Adjusting individual channels is not going to help, it will just mess up the balance.

9. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent been impressed with dialogue of dvds either :rolleyes: Ive owned or tried many many combos but i always resort to rather crude/simple methods to cure this annoyance :) I always find that the centre speaker is my problem.I own an Eltax Linear Response Centre at moment which is the biggest,heaviest centre i have owned.Its bi-wirable but i ownly connect to the high frequency posts.This has the wonderful effect of seeming to make the dialogue a bit more prominent.If this does not satisfy me i try taking the foam out of the box or/and tell my amp that the centre is further away than it really is.This gives me a bit more volume to centre speaker and a less muffled dialogue.If all else fails i take some Toshiba tele speakers i got and stand 1 or 2 on top of my centre.I then piggy back them to the centre so in effect i am driving the high frequency from my eltax and 1 or 2 silly little satallites.These solutions are not for the purists but most people say that they are really amazed at the results i get.Even better is it doesnt cost me any money.

:laugh: GOOD LUCK