1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just who are these companies....?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I read a lot of posts on this forum that despite the plethora of companies, some well known and some lesser known, now in the LCD tv market, only a handful of manufacturers actually make LCD t.v.'s As a point of interest, do we know who these manufacturers are? After all one could argue what is the point of paying a premium for a well known brand if the actual manufacturer is some generic company based in the far east.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At the lower end of the market, LCD computer monitors and smaller TV's - there are quite a few 'well known' companies just sticking their own logos onto virtually identical units. Certainly, Hitachi, Relisys and Acer are supplying vitually identical 17 Widescrenn Monitor/TV's at present.

Further up the TV food chain, this is less obvious. What does tend to happen a lot though is that the actual screen you are viewing on your Sharp (say) is the same screen somebody else is looking at on their Philips. This is commonplace, but it by no means means (hee hee) that the quality of the image is the same.

This comes down to individual company's different processing technology. This is where the real money goes. Take your pick: Wega Engine (Sony). PixelPlus2 (Philips). Viera (Panasonic) etc....

Most screens are made in the Far East, but not all TV's are assembled there. My Philips is made in Belgium. My word, you don't hear that every day...Made in Belgium!

Certainly there are an increasing number of lower cost TV's coming to us here now, and don't knock them - the Far East are turning out some pretty good wee TV's now.

Jimmy

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unless it's on the side of a bottle of Stella !

I'm not sure about LCD's but I have been told before that there are only 4 companies who make Plasmas. I think they are Philips/LG, Sony, Panasonic and Hitachi/??.

Richie.

4. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DMTECH is Samsungs new "budget" brand. The company is Korea based but owned by Samsung. I don't think their screens are rebadged Samsungs though?

5. JonathanCassar

JonathanCassar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know SONY dont make Plasmas; thats why there's romours of them leaving that market (They cant control Costs as they have to buy their screens in)

Incidently, does anyone know who supplies Sony?

6. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if im not mistaken ,
    plasma = pioneer,panasonic,lg,(fujitsu/nec)
    lcd=sharp,panasonic,lg,samsung

plasma pioneer and panasonic use their own lg i think do philips and loewe

sharp use their own and supplie to loewe , panasonic use mostly their own as far as im aware these 2 companies have the highest tolerance on missing pixels if 1 goes and its :confused: green possible ? they will replace the set
    last year sonys where made in order of size so below 23" was lg above 23" was samsung but then it changed for some reason some argument to do with lg supplying philips summat like that but none of this matters now as matsu****a group (panny,jvc and so on) are going to produce another company this year to mass produce lcd screens, and yes dmtech is buget samsung we call them the boomerang tele for obvious reasons

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Very interesting replies, thank you very much. I glean from this information then that the screens start life as very similar units, but it's the chips that the individual manufactures put in them that make them stand apart from each other.

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Very much so Faust. The main hardware (screen) is common. It's the individual manufacturers software and additional hardware, features, chassis design and build quality that set them apart.

Jimmy