1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just when you make your mind up here comes the 42VR5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SILVERBACK, Jan 8, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    its getting to a point now where buying a plasma is just becoming a massive reading on the forum on a daily basis lol.i still want the pw6 BUT now this has reared its head im starting to give this a sly glance :D anyone got any reviews or views on this panel or indeed have one? i have read the thread but there seems to be one scathing attack on it and one happy owner.now compared to the multitude of happy panny owners,so should i stick with the tried and tested or go for the new kid with sky + compatabillity (even though i wont be an early adopter as im not giving up sky+) anyone?

2. dan23

dan23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    leave it out will yeah :laugh: no i havent considered the LG mate.the nec is the only one stopping me from buying a pw6 as i ahve heard conflicting reports on the lg but thanks for the reply:smashin:

4. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hil Silverback,

A couple of the guys on the forum have bought the NEC's and are currently installing them. I am going to demo one next week at NexNix in Horsham.

Will post my view next week, hopefully the other guys will post their findings aswell in the next couple of days.

Steve

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    superb :smashin:im strongly interested in the sky pic quality than the dvd side as its pretty much a given that dvd with component= nice pic so if possible try and get a sky test or some form of freeview box etc.

6. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    very interesting :thumbsup: let the pw6 vs th nec battle commence :D

8. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ha Ha :laugh:

Would be mayhem on the forum if the PW6 was to be replaced as the best value SD screen :rotfl:

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lol i have no allegiance so if one screen is better than the other then i want the best one.a lot have tried to beat the panny pic wise and such a low price and all so far have failed BUT is the NEC the one to knock out the old fella? thats the question or will it simply be another pretender to the panny dominance.

10. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Steve, when are you going to demo ? I am intrested. Have they got the NEC XR3 in stock to your knowledge ?
    Thanks
    Andy

11. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Silverback - Spot on. The best screen for my budget is the one I want. If it turns out to be the Panny then so be it.

Andy - I am planning to go on Monday evening. Have been emailing Russell there. They have both the VR5 and XR3 there and have said that both are very good, especially the XR3.

Steve

12. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Visited Nexnix last Thursday.

Loads of pannys in stock Necs needed overnight delivery from suppliers.

I now understand they are so impressed with the VR5 they are taking delivery of several on Monday to commit to stock!

As of last Thursday only 3-4 RX3 at the suppliers.

Whilst I was there, some really positive noises about the VR5 especially shadow detail versus panny 6

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i too hope to see the 2 screens duel it out as well (but as i am neither buying or selling i really dont care which is better...........) BE aware that PWD6 stock is not endless and there are few remaing units at AV-sales 16 last time i checked, so if you leave it too long the PWD6 may not be an option (i am more concerned with PW7 comparison especailly reagrds HDCP (have heard that the HD NEC looks poor with 720p over DVi so while it may accept it it doesn tlook as good as it should 10 bit processing etc but we will see

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    im looking forward to unbiased reviews :) either way you cut it it`s a win win situation as either way im getting a plasma :)

15. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi All,

Went to see the NEC VR5/XR3 at NexNix tonight. First of all have to give a big :thumbsup: to Matt and Russ there.

Right, have never owned a plasma before and all I know about them is what I have read on this forum. This is both a benefit and hindrence :rotfl:

Look of Nec was good. Silver bezel looked smart. The control buttons on the underneath were good. Inputs on the side look good and were set in about 4 inches from the edge of the screen so you could not see any cables. Nice and easy to get to if you wanted to change things.

Picture quality - Am a bit mixed here. The VR5 was in the centre of the wall with the NEC XR3 on one side, the Panny PWD6 on the other side and the Hitatchi 5200 on a table stand below it. Hitatchi looked terrible. Matt did comment that the picture settings had probably been changed. Panny looked really good. I can see what all the fuss is about. It had good detail, was sharp and colour looked bright. Only thing I didn't like was that it looked a bit forced. Can't quite explain it but it looked as though the picture looked too sharp, a bit over done.

The VR5 - picture looked fantastic. I found it to be very cinematic. It was sharp but was almost just off focus which gave it a real nice smoothness. Sky looked really good also. Obviously not as sharp as on a normal CRT tv or rear projection one but one that I would be happy with. Demo'd a couple of DVDs aswell(Day after Tomorrow and Driven). The dark scenes didn't lose any detail. Blacks looked black. I just found the overall picture to be very easy and pleasing on the eye. Again, all I can compare it too is watching a film at the cinema. It was also very hard to concentrate on 4 plasmas at the same time :D

The XR3 - AWESOME!!!! Picture was so crisp. The detail was immense. You could just see every little detail and it looked so life like. If only I had the money :(

Matt also hooked up a PC and we watched a couple of HD demo's. Again the XR3 looked fantastic. The VR5 looked brilliant aswell. Have no idea about all the technical details of SD screens scaling the HD picture, all I can say is it looked really good.

The downside - I couldn't fit it in the car :laugh:

The only 2 things I noticed were 1) that when you were right next to the screen you could see some of the pixels flickering between black and green. This was in all the black displays on the screen. As soon as you got 2-3ft away you couldn't see it. Don't know whether this is a common fault on NEC/all plasmas or if the Sky signal was just a bit poor. 2) the picture had a slight green/yellow tinge to it. Matt played around with the picture settings but you could still notice it, only just though. This could just be where the screen has only been on for about 3 hours and has not been calibrated at all. I didn't even notice it until Matt pointed it out!

So, will I be getting one. Not sure yet. Will like to read a few more reviews from the more experienced people on the forum before making a decision.
    Have to say though for the price and all the connections you get I think it is very good value. Just a shame that the XR3 is a £1000 more!!

Cheers,

Steve

16. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard any more on Hornydragon's comment that the DVI picture on the NEC HD screens is poor??

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    oddly your opinion is almost the exact opposite of this one http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178174 Odd eh?

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i actually had a call from nexnix today and i asked them how they rated the nec to the pana and they said the vr5 was on par if not better so whats the deal here then ? im a good 4 to 5 hour drive away so probably wont be able to see it for myself.

19. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    HD - I guess we have met the golden rule then: a screen that is good for 1 person is not necessary good for another!

I think with regards to some of the comments in the other thread I didn't expect the NEC to have the same look(I mean cosmetically) as a pioneer or other brand that is £1500 more. Yes it was a plastic trim, not as nice as the Hitatchi but it looked good and I was more interested in the picture! All I can say is I thought the pic on the NEC did look cinematic. As I said above, it maybe wasn't as sharp as the Panny but I quite liked it being just a touch softer. Maybe it was where the NEC was brand new and the Panny had been in for a few months that made a difference in the picture?

Silverback - Are there any AV Shops near you that you can demo the screen at? I think you have to go and see the NEC before just deciding on the Panny. Where are you based? I think all the connections you get as standard and the fact that it is HDCP compliant is a big plus point over the panny. I guess it just comes down to which picture you prefer!

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    to be honest steve i would rather have the best possible picture over connections and HD as im not gonna get HD for another few years yet and id rather customise my connections if it meantgetting the best pic quality.thanks for your review though and im based in merseyside so i will try and get a demo this weekend if possible.thanks again for your review mate :smashin:

21. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    No problem Silverback. If you can afford to wait a while it could be worth hearing what HD has to say and also from MAW as they are going to be looking the both the HD and SD versions of the NEC. Also, the other guys on here that have bought them last week will hopefully be posting some reviews by the weekend.