1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just what the hell do you expect from your AV rig?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by General Skanky, Oct 8, 2004.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just what the hell do you expect from your AV rig?

Tonight has been a revelation. As per the title just what is it that you expect from your home cinema.

What I'm going to say next may be argumentative, but it is my belief that it is accurate.

For me, the sound needs to be gripping. Exciting. Raise the hair on the back of your arms.

I currently use a Yamaha E800 processor. Fantastic when the wick is turned up with a good soundtrack, but it is lacking.

Tonight, I've had a few drinks, the wife has been out, and I've had loud rock dvd's on, and I've had a cosmic revelation. :clap:

In this game, imho, the sound needed is one of pure excitement.

What can deliver this?

I have been through many systems and many speakers and have come to a simple conclusion, all I want is to be turned on by the sound. (I wish I was The BeeKeeper when it comes to picking the right gear :D )

As depraved as that sounds, I am already half there, with ATC Active speakers. As you know, I love Naim, but cost is an issue.

So, what I'm looking at is something to get the blood churning so that I can enjoy everything I watch, from the spoken word to the rock god concert.

Naim is now top of the list again above Tag and Arcam. Arcam DV27A/29 is top of the list to be partnered with the Naim or Tag or alternative processor.

What do you think?

At the end of the day, all I want to do is have my guts spilt over the floor and love it when I watch a film. Forget accuracy and precision, enjoyment is top of the agenda.

Without going crazy on price, what do you lot recommend for a processor for approx. £1000 to allow me to achieve the above?

Lots of luv, Skanky. XXXXXX

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,681
    Skanky, I love alcohol too and it makes me post over enthusiastic threads too! Great innit!!! Hee hee hee!

I don't know what piece of kit could help you get want you from your rig but I'm after the same thing as audio is more important to me than picture so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Consequently, I've found occasionally turning it up a little louder than I normally have it puts a grin back on my face.... Oh, and I also turned the subs up a little too so I am more aware of them at lower levels...

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When i've had a few i'm more interested in what kits on my old girl then my stand.

I've only got a tv dvd and normal hifi now, so i cant help

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it makes me sleepy........... mmmmmm nice dry white
    anyhow with activites choice is somewhat limited..... AS good processors are £££££££££ and cheap ones are just that......
    i would love to say lexicon etc i think S/H serious demoing has to be the way forward...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You must have had more than just a few drinks if you expected to get sensible answers in General Chat.

I'll transfer the thread somewhere more appropriate but I am also a firm believer in listening to the film and not the AV Equipment which is why I have been in no hurry to upgrade my kit.

6. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know it's creepy saying what i've got, but there you go.

At the price you it is hard to beat the rotel kit i've got. General give the RSP-1068 a go, turn the wick up and just enjoy it don't be consious of what you have spent just enjoy the sound.

I spent quite a bit recently getting my setup and it's weird because I used to be able to say ohhh that effect is coming from x speaker etc... and it was fun but I cannot do that now, not because it doesn't work but because im so immersed (oh, I know I cannot spell) in the soundfield that I am just lost in the sound.

It's still expensive but bang per buck it's hard to beat.

Steff

7. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skanky,

I can sympathise - music is more important to me than the video/mutli-channel audio but that doesn't mean I don't want to enjoy the AV experience. As you said, it's not a case of how 'good' it is but rather how enjoyable it is.

As a Naim hi-fi owner the best piece of advice I can give is to never, ever, listen to anything you can't afford :suicide: :D

I'm in a similar position at the moment - about to embark on the AV experience and would love an AV2/NAP175 combo but can't justify the price so also need to find something that will perform processing/3ch amp duties for around £1k (preferably less) but has the same 'enjoyable' qualities.....

If I find anything I'll let you know....

Cheers,
    Mark

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    what about saving for abit longer and trying to get closer to £2000?

second hand meridan 568.2 or maybe even a second hand arcam AV8 for about £1600.
    ex-dem Halo C2 for £2000.

CaM

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gs i used to have yamaha ax592 integrated and added the yam a5 simular to e800 but is 5 channel so could be used on its own,found a5 to be lacking in sterio ,so used 592 driving fronts the a5 for center+rears, in general not a bad set up apart from having to balance the a5+592 volume controls,

then sold kit and got 3802 not so sure that ive in fact made a sideways move in some respects, slightly better av, but lost out in sterio terms.

ive also tried lots of kit to find a pleasing balance av 2 channel so what improves av more impact etc,seems to make sterio a bit too racous.

mark i agree its all about finding a combo that is pleasing ,something thats enjoyable, for both seems to be hard to find.

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are talking about the Krell Showcase, unfortunatelly a bit over your budget... :rolleyes:

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Blimey, found it here.

Sober, it's all so different. :blush:

It's all doing my head in. I've read and re read so many posts about the pros and cons of all processor/dvds that I'm back where I started.

Had many demos too.

Arcam, Naim, Tag, Bryston, Lexicon and Meridian and the core selection with all their various models.

Thank God for the deals that crop up around the place that allows me to eventually pay for them. :)

Peter Baker's posts from when he was looking around are still my reference guidelines as to what to consider.

Naim is still my favourite, but with a DVD5, just so expensive.

I'll get there one day. I just don't want to regret not getting it exactly right, unlike times before.

'Don't listen to what you can't afford.'

So true, just too late for me, No turning back now. :suicide:

12. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Skanky, is this all serious or you're simply kidding here?
    >2k posts and asking about pre/pro-s. If I recall it correctly you were having Prmare surround amp at home etc..

Must be a joke. Cheers and drink one for me too.

13. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had Primare, but sold it all on to buy ATC actives.

The reason I ask is to double and triple check.

I have read a lot and bought and sold a lot, but by no means am I an expert.

There's always something else to know and learn.

But I will do my upmost best not to do this all again when I finally get what I want.

Well...............

14. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi Guy
    Still agonising huh!
    You probably could get a Proceed AVP for approx £1500, but I would suggest that it is the combination with the AMP% which makes the magic. Available for £3995 here
    www.infidelity.co.uk/saleslistP3.htm.
    Otherwise, I would certainly see the Naim AV2 as a good substitute.
    It never ends though. Whilst I am happy with my sound, I can't resist tweaking. Latest bits to get tried are an isotek minsub II mains filter unit, which certainly improves separation and detail (but at £500), and nordost reddawn speaker cable, which is very fast and removes a veil over the sound (just a staggering £1300 for a 4m pair)
    Glad you enjoyed my experimentation
    Peter

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Agonising is right :)

My local dealer offered me a Proceed set up last year. Might have been a good idea to look at it.

I've downloaded the mauals to have a look at what the kit offers. £17500 to £4000 is a big drop! I know it's discontinued etc, but a very big drop never the less.

16. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    And having talked to a number of high end hifi dealers since purchasing, all hold it in great respect. Of course they might be telling me what I want to hear.
    I also met a Lexicon rep, who unprompted said that Proceed was better 2 channel than Lexicon MC8, with the MC12 just about comparable.
    As for HT, it seems pretty realistic and locates sounds precisely. Of course no PrologicII, or fancy DSP modes.
    I have heard some pretty bad things about the DVD player however. Tray mechanism difficulties, and unwillingness to read many discs.
    www.sound-stage.co.uk have an AVP for £1795,and are in Chelmsford so not so far away.
    If you want to stay close to £1000, there's a Myryad MDP500 for £995 at Chantry Audio 01777 870372, or a Primare P30 at Choice Hi-fi 020 8392 1959, either of which might be worth a listen
    Best of luck
    Peter

17. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Money no object I'd go Bryston and match it with our upcoming Performance range :zonked:. My Dad has the AV2 with Naim power amps and a Castle/REL setup and its good but not where my money would have gone for that money.

Back in the real world, I'm happy where I am with my AV setup. It performs well enough for me to forget about it and enjoy the film. Its about to get a bit smaller but I'm confident it will stay satisfying.

Stereo is a different matter- I know I need a Tube Technologies CDA64 and a Marantz PM11 but for the moment that's a complete pipe dream.

18. HiFiFan

HiFiFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General Skanky;

You have my whole and unreserved sympathy and understanding!

I'm another Naim fan, caught in the world between 2 channel stereo performance and the desire to experience similar levels of satisfaction re HT.

Having invested many thousands in a Naim 2 channel setup, the main problem for me with the Naim route to AV is one of cost, the lack of suitable speakers to match my SBL's for rear channel duty within the Naim range currently available, (at an affordable price - SL2's etc) and, as music first designs the arguable suitability for back-to-the-wall designs such as the SBL's and Allaes with their limited spatial dimensionality, for HT duties.

The AV2 plus Naim speakers brings wonderful PRaT to the HT experience, however in the context of visual 'distraction' (i.e. the picture), and importantly the sense of sounfield size 'matching' the picture (assuming front projection) the Naim lacks somewhat IMHO.

To me, whilst one can 'make do' with say mismatched rears in an HT setup, once you've heard properly matched speakers all-round, there's no going back. IMHO, an immersive, seamless soundfield that puts you 'in' the action as a semi-active participant is always more involving in a HT context than a system more musical such as Naim leans towards, that has excellent PRAT, but on the the soundfield side of things leaves one more as a passive viewer of a high quality movie 'event' rather than being the afore-mentioned active participant.

PRaT has it's rewards for HT, but soundfield immersion is fundamental to the being there HT experience IMHO.

IMHO, and as a Naim Fan, unless one can perhaps contemplate the AV2/175 in the context of a complete Naim Matched speaker setup, things become limiting quite quickly for the cost involved and the return on performance. Other speakers brands can of course be used, but again Naim electronics seem best matched with Naim voiced speakers.

I'd suggest upgrading you Yamaha 800 to something more modern and capable, but continuing in a hybrid mode with your 2 channel system (I do this with a Sony ES TADA9000 all digital amp) or running two separate sytems - Naim for 2 channel, and something else dedicated for HT.

The top Denons, Yamahas, Pioneers and Sonys of this world offer a level of HT performance barely aproached by high-end exotica a few years back, and at a fraction of the cost. It's not just bang-for-your-buck either; the quality is also there in components, build, engineering and finish - certainly something one can be proud to own.

Hope this helps

Best

John...:)

19. ajwoodhouse

ajwoodhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go the Naim route for the ultimate music/AV experience (IMHO)

20. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I know what you mean when you say don't listen to what you can't afford.
    this is my friends kit.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Theres alot of money there if you know your kit :eek: :eek:

Dave.

21. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too much for the size of his room... :eek:

22. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Indeed there is a lot of money there...shame about the TV though...and those are Rotel amps in there as well?....quality imbalance springs to mind...seriously though,a very nice stereo setup.

23. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Yes he has the Denon top of the range amp but only uses the dsp of it and perfers to use the Rotel power amps 7 x 200w rms which do so sound pretty good to me, but you have to hear his stereo rig, those Musical fidelity KW amps have so much power !

Dave.

24. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Do the burst footballs absorb any sibilance?
    If I had so much kit in my house, my wife would certainly be bursting my footballs.
    With nutcrackers.
    Phil

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's alot of money there but some serious power aswell :eek:

John

26. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Awsome KWPs, the most powerfull amps on the planet I believe :eek: Serious imbalance though, he needs a better display than a telly :confused: to go with 18K worth of monoblocs :D

27. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi thunder he only uses the tv for watching telly and uses his pull down six foot screen and Panasonic ae100 for watching DVD's.

[​IMG]

He also has this in his room (his old musicl fidelity 3000 I think )

[​IMG]

Hers the remote for the KWP its the same size as a brick and weighs as much :eek:

[​IMG]

Dave.

28. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,158
    Sod the power amps, he needs new curtains:D

29. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Bet he doesn't need to turn the radiators on in that room.

Toastie.:)

30. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After spending that much on all that kit i bet he can't afford them :D hey but who cares about curtains when the system must sing ;)

John :)