1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just what is ASIO ???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JSW, Feb 14, 2003.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    and is it important ???

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    In the context of playing music on PCs an application that uses ASIO such as the WinDVD ASIO plugin can bypass the Windows 2000/XP kmixer and allow the sound bits to reach the sound card untampered. It can help sound quality basically. To the pro audio world, ASIO is simply an audio transfer protocol for multichannel audio, developed by Steinberg I believe.

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Ok I have a dreaded Audigy 2 for its DVD A player, but I also have all my cd's stored on the HTPC in APE format and use J River media centre which has ASIO support.

I choose the creative ASIO output in the player options and as soon as I try and play any music get the error the device you are trying to control does not support 41khz ?

The only option in Audio HQ for spdif output is 48 or 96 khz.

Take it my only option is to bin the audigy 2 and get something else ?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It sounds like the creative drivers are reliant on the kmixer for resampling to 48 or 96 Hz. CD's use 44.1Hz which isn't supported in hardware by the Audigy 2 card. Your best bet is to find a player that resamples to 96Hz, WinAmp has a resampling plugin.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I pinched this from:
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/community/world_of_vst/technology/index.php?sid=0

The Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) architecture forms the backbone of VST*. ASIO addresses any needs a professional audio recording solution might have. It does this by supporting variable bit depths and sample rates, multi-channel operation and synchronization. As a result, the user gets low latency, high performance, easy set up and stable audio recording within VST.

Not very helpful I realise, but put into English(!?!), Lower latency, stability, and flexibility (with applications and hardware which support it.)

For what it is worth, Asio drivers tend to be the drivers of choice in Pro-Audio PC work, when available.

*The Virtual Studio Technology (VST) interface was developed by Steinberg and first launched in 1996.

VST enables the integration of virtual effect processors and instruments into your digital audio environment. These can be software recreations of hardware effect units and instruments or new creative effect components in your VST system. All are integrated into the host application.

Being an open standard, the possibilities offered by VST are steadily growing. New virtual effect processors and virtual instruments are constantly being developed by Steinberg and other companies. Leading VST instrument creators include renowned software companies such as Waldorf and Native Instruments. Companies such as Spectral Design and TL Audio have contributed virtual effect processors.

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Ok will look at some plugins.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, you need to resample content to 48Hz or 96kHz beforehand (using SSRC etc) to use the ASIO plugin in Media Jukebox. I used to use that program all the time but now I only use it for rips.

For playback I use Foobar2000 which has a 32-bit floating point audio processing pipeline, can SSRC resample on the fly and uses kernel streaming to bypass kmixer. It does sound considerably better than any other player I have ever heard for playing 44.1kHz music, upsampled and dithered to 24-bit/96kHz using kernel streaming. Slightly limited in terms of functionality, but fine if all you want to do is listen to sweet, sweet music. :)

"Dreaded Audigy 2" - I think it's a great card, dammit. :D

MuFu.

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S. The kernel streaming plugin (foo_out_ks.dll) doesn't seem to be hosted on the official site anymore but I have a copy I can mail you should you want to experiment.