Just what has Sony done to you ?????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Evil Engineer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sony seem about as popular as a fart in a space suit around these parts.

I was just wondering. Why?

Just what have Sony done that's so bad ???????

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    :confused: Sony make some good products. I don't think many people have a specific dislike for Sony - they've arsed up the BluRay introduction though.

3. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    looking around and thinking back, ive got fond memories of PS2, walkmans, PS1...stereo systems and TV's

I have no recollection of sony putting a gun to my head or making me watch videos of them torturing fluffy kittens, but reading some of the things posted, it seems that sony have done both of these things to some people here!:D

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Lots of lies regarding the power of the PS2, a lot of arrogance surrounding the PS3. Only reasons I can think of.

5. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Lies about console games are like politicians broken promisies. All to common and best ignored.

I dont think theres been a console launch that wasnt supposed to change how we live forever, tho sony overdo it with their naming 'emotion engine' lol.

Sony as a business has bad, anti cunsumer, practices.

They release new closed formats that attempt to tie consumers into their systems. For example, there not happy just to sell you a camera, they want to own you and force you to buy their media too (memorystick). same with the minidisk (that only worked better once they opened it up a little, but that was way to late).

They release overpriced average consumer electronics which dont quite have the longevity they used to, recently sony corp have been very proped up with the PS2 profits as the rest of their business struggles, thats why they realy need the PS3 to do well.

And onto the prime reason I personaly wont buy another of there products.

The Sony Rootkit fiasco.

Now personaly I dotn buy those 'non' CD's anyhow, I dont think adding a layer of protection helps the music buying, legitamate consumer at all, and if you want, you can ALWAYS download an illigal copy.

So when sony music chose to package a number of CD's with ILLIGAL rootkit software that compromised peoples PC's without their knowledge, impacted severely on performance of the PC, had no install notification nor UNINSTALL option and left their PC open to unseen attacks and dead cd rom drives I think that was WAY beyond what any company should do to their VALID PAYING customers.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would never buy a CRT unless it was a Sony Trinitron. I am writing this on a Sony Vaio laptop. I have a 17" Sony LCD as a TV in the dining room, have owned various Sony branded camcorders (Video 8, Hi-8, Mini-DV, HDV) and only use Sony branded tapes. My parents had a Sony Betamax video. I own a PS1 and PS2 but use neither on other than intermittently. I also have an old Sony Cybershot camera.

However I bought a Sony Clie. The last model that they made. They hyped it up something big, then discontinued it so none of the accessories were easy to obtain. I bought a Memory Stick Pro to fit inside it to store music on but my PC won't talk to the pro version so I have to use a proprietry Sony music format. Many things on the Clie are proprietry so standard Palm applications do not work.

Sony use to be great for a number of things. Now they often rebrand other products but charge for the Sony name - ie Sony's version of Digifusion FVRT200 is £250 when Digifusion version is £140ish.

But the moment they come up with something that they want to milk, they lock you in with proprietry formats. I got stung with the Clie, stupidly on more than one occasion.

They now hype everything up and up and up. Sony are no longer a cutting edge electronics manufacturer, their media arm means that they have too many conflict of interests. You never know were you stand anymore, what you are buying. You could always trust Sony. Not any more. Their promotion of all things blu-ray, to the unblinkered, is simply more of the same old hype.

7. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I did buy quite a lot of Sony products but they broke down prematurely so my belief in paying a premium for their higher quality product was shaken.

The thing I dislike most about Sony though is their usage of proprietry formats as has been stated earlier. It's a real shame too because Sony make some really great products but then force you into buying their batteries and memory which is always way overpriced compared to other manufacturers.

In my opinion Sony only really make one thing any good now and that's their TV's. Everything else can be bought cheaper, more reliable and no proprietry accessories from the competition.

-Neil

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,779
    This is true - and it can really hamper their products - a good example is UMD. With the PSP Sony could have fitted an internal HDD and pioneered a video/games download service. This would almost certainly have been considerably more successful than UMD video which has completely flopped. Who wants to carry around dozens of video/game discs in a portable? If they were all internally stored on a HDD it would have been so much better. Not to mention prices could have been a fraction of what they were!

9. Uruloke

Uruloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Personally, I have nothing against Sony. Their arrogance does grate on me a little though, and their employees are stupid:

:rolleyes:

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Gone are the days of excellence (Trinitrons) when we aspired to own a Sony, and stirling products like Walkmans (esp the Pro). Now we have many me too products, which is fine, what I don't like is the retoric like MP3, rootkit, DSD.. but on the other hand I was enquiring about one of their excellent projectors today, and we still have Superbit DVDs ;)

They need to move away from changing everything back to excelling at everything, which is what they did really well. Quality....

As it stands, I still buy Sony products and will continue to do so but will look at each one in turn and perhaps not give them the benefit of doubt they would perhaps have got from many 10 years ago. Role on a quality BD player though....

11. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    True , there real time weapons switching for MASSIVE DAMAGE realy has caught my eye.

12. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Arrrrgggh, yes their media arm. Now that REALLY annoys me!
    They own music labels and film studios, release a non compatible format and only release music and movies on their format.
    Of course the're trying to protect and promote their product but it still makes me mad at them when they only release music and movies on their format.

-Neil

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    and I thought this would be a quiet thread ;)

14. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    I bought a brilliant Sony amp last year that I still can't stop smiling about, I'm itching to get a 9100ES DVD player (if only it did 576i ;) ) we have a Sony 36" TV (that has successfully fought off a 50" plasma) and that will probably be replaced with an SXRD TV, and a BD player is on the cards. But I wouldn't call myself a loyal customer.

Nick

15. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    The way they are making PS3 purchasers fight their war on the HD movie market. They could of done a DVD version and saved every one a boat load of money, EVERYONE EXCEPT sony says DVD has enough space for games.

It might be ok for some, but I have real problems with a company using childrens/teenagers to fight there format war, and the parents having to shell out said somes of money at christmas to buy the things. And yes plenty 30 year olds who will buy them, but I am not on about them, I am on about the younger generation, I dont know to many people with kids/teenagers/20+ who have HDTVS in there rooms so a dvd player would of done, the games will cost more to produce and it makes sony money even more as there on BR media, everything is more expensive because its BR.

And there SPIN, I hate there SPIN, just stop with the SPIN SONY, stop now while you have some cred left.

16. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056

in hindsight, sure. But all other HDD based video devices are, frankly, a bit cack. At least the PSP can play stuff back for about 5 hours.

and when PSP was designed, download services for movies were but a twinkle in the eye - apart from some limited universal movies they still are. Discs are well known by the retailers and studios, but they had to be smaller. I think the only mistake they made was pricing. if they'd have been a fiver or even perhaps a tenner a pop they'd have still been going on.

I do think the movies will be phased out and replaced with downloads - what with 4 & 8GB sticks coming out. But that wasn't really feasible when it was made.

As for memory stick, I give you xD cards - an even more stupid idea. At least Sony have the market share to make Memory sticks number 3 in the market even with just their products. And even without them there were still two competing formats, so they'd have peed someone off if they'd used SD and you had CF for example.

Yes, they overprice due to their 'brand value'. But what company wouldn't if they could get away with it? Its called business.

And they do try and innovate. Their Clies were always way better than palms. Gorgeous double resolution colour screens, virtual graffiti areas, proper headphone out with mp3 playback

Playstation bucked the trend when it came out, and wiped the floor with the competition. PS3 is *very* expensive but lets see if they get away with it. Sony know they need a huge userbase to make the sums add up, so they won't keep it priced high if it won't meet their targets.

and how have Sony bodged the bluray launch? The first player is a Samsung, the first discs are from a mix of Sony and non-Sony studios, the bluray alliance has lots of members.

Was there something in the bluray articles of association that said Sony would produce all the tools? Yet seemingly they are the target for the bad feeling from the bluray launch. (I'd have thought one of the formats being rubbish would have made us happy as it could shorten the battle...)

phew, off for a lie down now :D

17. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    It shouldn't be hindsight though, they have people just sitting around thinking this stuff up, its just sony yet again pushing a Sony format, making money off a format they own. Clear as day to me.

18. nehalem

nehalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Indeed - every company has some bum products and Sony is no exception, but thats surely as a result of innovating and trialing new products and concepts on the market. They are moving away from propriatry formats slowly - new alpha camera take CF cards as standard with a memory stick adaptor, HD camcorders were engineered to accept standard mini DV tapes, VAIO have SD and memory stick slots.

Give the price of flash memory is dropping all the time, it wouldn't suprise me if there was a hard disc PSP soon, but yes UMD movies were a bit of a strange move - nothing wrong with UMD as a format though as it provides massive portable secured storage. But pre-recorded MD never sold in great volumes either so not suprising video UMD hasn't really

Bizarre statement to make. Summing up an entire company because of some gaff at a games conference:boring:

lol - do you have any commercial experience? - All companies want to get a return from the fruits of their R&D!

19. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Thats because its in effect a minolta camera with a sony badge stuck on. they have only just bought minoltas dSLR business and havnt had time to fully integrate. Give sony time and they'll shift waya from CF cards in their dSLR's

Decent commercial experience would show you that open systems tend to make more money than closed systems, Apple's ipod wouldnt have sold if it couldnt play mp3's, DVD wouldnt have worked if it was proprietry (checkout the other failed dvd format), same with VHD, CD's etc. None of those would have worked if not being an open standard.

Sony should be happy selling a device or media, not restricting you to their media.

20. nehalem

nehalem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Now you're just being cynical to try and backup your point! Why would they re-engineer a brand new camera body, which has only just gone on sale so it only supports MS?

Fair point, sure open systems may be more sucessful however, my point still stands that any company that creates something open or closed need to get some form of revenue back! They are control freaks so whilst they might not be maximising revenue, they are still maintaining control.

21. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    They've done nothing to me, thankfully I wasn't affected by the rootkit fiasco which is something that has done definite damage to them.

I've got PS2, PSP and had a preorder in for a PS3 since christmas :)
    My old PS1 is broken, but so is my original XBox.

Regarding cameras, Sony have offered a CF slot on at least one previous model (thinking the 828) and their current DSC-R1 has CF as well as MS compatibility.

In case anyone accuses me of being "fanboy" or similar I have a X360, DS Lite and a gamecube. Oh, my camera's a Canon.

22. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748
    Who said MS? Personaly i think the dSLR market will move away from CF cards at some point anyhow, as other medai gets quicker & larger (and cheaper) I'd expect sony to go with memory sticks tho.

23. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    That's not true! A few game developers have said that Blu-Ray space is essential in this generation.

24. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +748

lol what? show a quote.

Theres a limit to what fits in the consols memory, a limit to how much dev and art team time you give a game, PC's dont have these limits yet their games fit happily on a DVD (actualy a number of CD's but DVD for convinience).

The only reason you'd need more storage is for lots of HD full motion video. Personaly I'd hate to sit through all that if I was actualy wanting to play a game...

25. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    You dont see many other companies making up formats to put in the technology products, most use what is available, Only Sony seem to come up with formats specific to their hardware.

And thank god its that way because if other companies took the same attitude as Sony we would have god knows how many formats out there, its bad enough now. without Panasonic having there own technology, and Samsung theres, and then one for Phillips and then one for Yamaha, and then one for HP. Its clear as day for me to see, would be having 45in1 card readers if every one thought the same as Sony.

I can see how bad it could be if they all took the attitude that Sony have in that they want the royalties and dont want to pay them to some one else, the other companies seem to pay the royalties ok and its easier for the consumer.

26. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The HD-A1 knocks the socks of the NS9100ES in both, 480/540 and upscaling to 720/1080, and to boot the HD-A1 plays HD 720/1080.
    Before you buy a NS9100ES (i hope not just for the i-link!)make sure you demo the A1 and a few other first.
    Secrets review NS9100ES:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...arch&articles=127#SonyDVP-NS9100ES (Component)
    Secrets review HD-A1:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/toshiba-hda1-dvd-player-5-2006-part-1.html

27. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Memory Stick is incompatible within their own product range. Its not a physical thing, its purely arbitory copy protection mechanism. On one side they are promoting copying (remember the Minidisc adverts?) and include a nice looking media player with their Clie's but the Magigate (sp?) bits on their MS Pro prevents you from using it due to an incompatibility between their PC supplied software and the MS Pro sticks. They showed no willingness to correct the problem and unfortunately their media player was so proprietry that it would not playback anything unless it was formatted the Sony way. And as they pulled out of the Clie market, they aren't going to do anything about it.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Completely agree on that one, everytme I pick up my PSP I just cannot understand why it didn't come with a HDD. If for anything else, at least we'd have quicker load times!

29. strewth_bruce

strewth_bruce
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SonicStage.

And then, in a truly Frank Spencer inspired move, Sony decided they weren't content with one ****-poor software package, and bestowed Connect Player on their customers. :suicide:

Worst music management tool(s) ...ever!

30. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    And at one stage iirc they didn't even allow raw playback of MP3's, you had to convert them to ATRAC first!?!?!?! :laugh: