1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just watched Gangs Of New York

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Dimmy, May 11, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has my vote for the worst movie I've seen in a long long time.

I really couldn't stand it. Full of carricature characters done badly, poorly filmed (Scorsese, where did your talent go!?), and generally irritating.

I was especially irritated by the overcooked characters of Daniel Day Lewis & Leo DiCaprio.

Everything about it was just - OH so bad!

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Very much "The Emperor's New Clothes". Critics felt they had to go easy on it because of the talent involved. In fact, as you know, the film is a total mess. Scorcese's talent is on the wane and Daniel Day-Lewis is one of these actors who always makes you aware of the fact that he is "acting".

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was a mess, nothing to do with the actors as such, it was poorly filmed and had an awful plot. At the end, I just thought, so what? It looked like a TV mini series that originally ran for 8 hours or so and had been edited down to three. If you know what I mean. There was an interesting story in there somewhere, about the creation of New York as the city we know today, immigration, racism and the riot and so on, but it was all background to a tedious revenge type plot that has been done a million times before and a million times better. Scorsese, I want a refund.

4. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. It was bad. I thought DDL's acting was top notch personally, but Di Caprio? oh please no!

About an hour and a half/2 hours into the film I found myself wondering 'what exactly is the point of this film' and a quick scan around showed me I wasnt alone in this.

An unfocused, badly directed mess featuring two groups of thick ill educated scum neither of which make you care one way or the other. The dialogue and plot was laughable and the end sequence utterly appalling (plus completely out of character for Di Caprio's character).

Fortunately 2 weeks later I watched Catch Me If You Can, where Di Caprio was perfectly cast. An excellent film.

PK

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    I thought GONY (or should that be "PONY"?) was a lot better than I was expecting.
    I wasn't expecting a lot though. And I won't be buying the DVD