1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Watched... Finding Nemo

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by michaelm, Sep 3, 2003.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now this IS a good movie. Good storyline, funny characters, stunning animation, excellent picture and sound quality - everything needed to make a good movie. 10/10 :smashin:

My 12 year old, who's normally very grown up and sophisticated, went as far as to say it was the best movie she'd seen in a long time.

2. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I had a house full of screaming kids and it quitened them all down for about 70 minutes of peaceful bliss!

Gotta say I enjoyed it too though ;)

The animation really is stunning, and the turtles are touch of comedy genius!

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Where did you get a copy from please? Cinema or DVD?

4. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Downloaded the DVD (4 GB) - I'll buy the proper one when it comes out for the extras of course, as I have with every other Pixar Film, but in the meantime this is perfect DVD quality with 5.1 sound.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SPOILER..

The bass level when the girl pounds the fish tank is amazing! My room has pulsing

END OF SPOILER

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah, downloaded it as well.

7. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask where you downloaded the complete DVD (4Gb) and not just the DIVX version.

Cheers,

Dave.

8. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dunno if it's allowed by PM (Moderator please advise), definitely not in these forums. Wait until a Moderator posts a reply, if it's positive then PM me, if negative then please don't.

I downloaded Stitch The Movie last night, X Men 2 the night before. They were all bittorrent files, if that's any use to you. You would also need at least a 1Mbit broadband connection.

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, but no it is against forum rules.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I want the DVD now not next year- bl00dy cinema releases

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    FB
    The issue of Disney's choice of marketing is an issue to take up with them. However much I disagree with staggered release schedules, it does not give me the right to view their movie without paying for it and without their tacit approval.

If you were desperate to see FN you could have seen it yesterday in a large number of Cinemas. But what you are talking about has nothing to do with the DVD release which you will be able to buy & import from N America very soon - Disney are hardly holding that one back considering the film was only released in the States this summer.

But even if FN was a legitimate target, what about The Matrix Revisited? a film released just about simultaneously in USA & Europe where the DVD will be available at the same time less than six months after the release date.

Don't kid yourself that most people downloading are just fans who are so crazy about movies that they have to have them early, they're humans for goodness sake - If they can get something for nothing then great.

This is a different league from music file sharing a la Napster - you aren't downloading a few tracks to see if you like an album, it's all or nothing so once you've seen it and you didn't enjoy it as much as you would have liked well perhaps you won't get it after all.

And as for the "DVDs are a rip off so it's ok to resort to Piracy" well that's a bankrupt argument. What about art - bit of canvas and paint, no more than a few quid & they have the cheek to charge millions or Rolex watches or Designer Clothes or Dior fragrances. We cannot choose which things are "right" & "wrong". The law is there for all society and we can't just have the bits we like & conveniently ignore the bits we don't like.

There got that off my chest - I know it won't change your view in the same way that you won't convince me that downloading these items isn't piracy.

13. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Simpsons did best when they got cable free and it came with the booklet "So You've Decided to Steal Cable"
    Cable Companies (movie makers) are big faceless corporations so your individual actions do not directly show up. Therefore it's alright to illegally steal calbe (download movies). :D

14. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair points, one and all.

However ;) If you get right down to it, the imporation of R1 discs from N America is, if not illegal, is certainly against the wishes of the Studios. ie they dont give their tacit approval. If you ordered a £50 boxset with got through customs without being charged VAT, would you ring customs and offer to pay? If not then you are technically breaking the law, as you are if you do 75 mph on a motorway.

All I'm saying is that, as with all laws, its not 100% black and white.

15. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Are these any good? Where from?

16. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    You aren't breaking the law if you do 75 on the motorway as you are allowed 10 % error IE 77 mph max, sorry to be picky.
    Dave.

17. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    R1 discs being sold outside of N America - was what I meant about tacit approval - one studio (might be paramount) have asked exporters not to send discs outside of N America, the remainder it seems shrug their shoulders - after all they're still getting paid.

I would agree that this is a grey area

It is customs perogative to charge VAT / duty on goods over £18 in value, they choose to not investigate most parcels. As long as I have done nothing to disguise the value of the goods (ask the retailer to lie about it's value) then I have done nothing illegal.

I think this is an issue of manpower but I think that there are no laws being broken.

I do break the law from time to time on the motorway but I try to be good. I believe strongly in enforcing speed limits on all other roads & try to observe the limit. I have recently been given a parking ticket which I resented but accepted :blush:

This is cut and dried - go faster than the speed limit & you are breaking the law

18. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    You are breaking the speed limit if you do 75 on a motorway.

The speed limit is 70, not 77. Usually the police give 10% allowance over the speed limit. If you do more than 70 you are technically breaking the law, whether the police choose to stop you until atfer the 10% or not is another matter.

You

19. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think that's what I said since the value of the goods (as determined by the exporter - admitedly some lie) is declared on the package

21. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Talking about ripping is one thing, but talking about downloading pirate DVDs from Kazaa is another thing altogether. Well out of order.

22. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, but these are important and complex issues for the industry from whichever viewpoint you take, and ignoring it wont make it go away.

23. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That 15.99 pricetag includes:
    :lesson:
    *royalties for the DVD forum/rightholders
    *royalties for the copyrightholders of the film (more than one company make a film and they all need some money for it)
    *transport of said DVD from the pressing company to the retailer and the shop
    *the wages of all those working on the DVD from pressing down to the bloke who sells you the DVD
    *and many other things
    :lesson:
    you didn't need to pay for all those so your DVDs are much cheaper. now assuming you still buy the legit DVD after that then it's sortof ok, but if you don't and just keep the pirate: all the above won't get any money...

Staying OT (as I have to add something to it ;))
    I'm using ISDN and 56kbps= waaay too slow= waiting for cinema and DVD

24. Ferris_bueller

Ferris_bueller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then how come we can legally obtain DVDs for about tenner including international postage, and sale dvds for 5.99? I'm pretty sure they dont lose money on 5.99 DVDs.

Dunno, maybe they need to overhaul their distribution - or just make less profit ;) http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030807/media_pixar_5.html

I wouldnt bother on isdn either ;)

25. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    This is the real problem here - "I can't wait for it....". Chill out mate, it's just a cartoon. There are lots of other things you can watch/do until the official release date. :smashin: Anticipation and all that......

26. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there is of yxourse another problem:
    disney doing Pixars films and Disney being the extreme example of money grabbing (although even they have financial problems)

I guess DVDs get cheaper when they have past their first shelflife and have generated enough primary revenue.

27. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Including the guy who didn't bother to check the soundtrack, the team who didn't see the whole film was mis-framed, the lady who didn't put the correct information on the cover, in the person who can't quite figure out how to put the disc into the case properly.

28. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought the same about Disney until one year my family went to Disneyworld for a holiday. It coincided with my daughter's first birthday and we booked a party for her in Chef Mickey restaurant in the Contemporary Resort, complete with birthday cake.

When we arrived there was no cake and so they hastily got a cake put together and a great time was had by one and all, buffet carvery, all you can eat etc and the suds flowed for hours.

When we finally came to reckoning up we were told it had been taken care of by Disney Corp :D . We reckon the whole thing would have cost a couple of hundred dollars. Since then I've had (sort of) nothing but respect for Disney.

29. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep including all those:D
    now just imagine how much a DVD would cost if they did their job properly;)

@michaelm. that is great to hear. very kind of them.
    but being very sceptical I have this explanation:
    their films esp Pixar go quite well so DVDs are a sure thing and they can charge the hell out of us. (incl rereleases)
    Their parcs disney florida and esp. disney euroland, however don't go well so they have to convince people to come back.

PS I think my comment before was too strong. I believe that columbia are just as bad. and at least Disney gave us some very happy memories of their parcs;)

30. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Okay guys and gals...., I think we need to all take a deep breath, please! :)

NOw, technically, we all do a lot of things each day, that are probably illegal, whether that be doing 31mph in a 30mph zone, or not paying Import because HM Customs hasn't registered the package properly, or duplicate a CD onto blank tape to listen to in the car. All of these, are techniclaly illegal, and can't really be condonec. And yes, technically none of us should be buying any other regional DVD's, except Region free discs or Region 2 films.

However, regardless of all this, piracy and the downloacing of any film material, for personal use or otherwise, is very, very illegal, and any talk on the subject in the AV Forums is potentially a legal nightmare for the Moderators and for Spectre as well. Not to mention the website's hosting company.

Personally, I think piracy and downloading of a film is stupid, and shows little respect for the people who make the films and DVD's. But that's my opinion. And I also find that the excuse of "Well, I'm still going to buy the R1, R4 or whatever DVD" is just a lame excuse to make the downloading of illegal material justifiable.

No matter what, downloading films from the Net, is NOT JUSTIFIABLE! If you got caught out, no court in the UK or USA would tolerate it, and a short prison term, or heavy fine would be imposed, whether you distributed the film onto other people or not! Ultimately, it's not worth the risk!

Anyway, as various downloading sites have been mentioned, I can't let AVForums be seen to be condoning or advocating pirated films, no matter what the reasons given are! As such, I am closing this thread, and referring it to Spectre and the other DVD Talk Moderators, for their view.

I'm sorry if some of you feel aggrieved about this, but the Forums as a whole are more important to me, than who sees a film first or not.

Pooch