1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just watched Donny Darko

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by bonzobanana, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    That has to be one of the most boring, steaming piles of crap I've seen for a very long time. I'd just watched Battlefield Earth and thought that was meant to be the awful film but it seems 1000 times better than Donny Darko.

I have absolutely no understanding what people find of interest in DD. Theres nothing remotely clever or interesting about the directing and the story is just stupid and pretentious. I give it a definite 1/10 and it only gets a 1 because of the decent soundtrack. :thumbsdow x1000

2. spondle

spondle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    each to their own I guess

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Donnie Darko is an absolute classic IMO, strong storyline, good characters and as you say, a good soundtrack.

Maybe you need to have another go at watching it, it confused me the first time.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I consider Donnie Darko to be one of those near-perfect films.

But it's definitely non-traditional, so I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy it.

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207

I thought exactly the same thing after one viewing, but when i watched it again it all started to become clearer.

I have watched 5 or 6 times and really enjoy it now.

Go on give it another go you may surprise yourself ;)

Adrenochrome.

6. parkender

parkender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Directors cut is due for release soon with extra scenes, scores, songs and lots more. Richard Kelly supervised the whole process and I think anyone who liked the film is in for a treat. Anyone know when it's due for release in the UK?

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What specifically do people like about this film? I can't get my head around the appeal of it.

SPOILER!

The way I see it (which I realise people are going to take issue with I'm sure) is the film consists of mainly the first reality where the engine doesn't hit donny and events take place which end with the killing of the bloke dressed up as a rabbit. Then at the end another reality replaces it where the engine does kill Donny and so the rabbit character doesn't kill the girl and therefore isn't killed himself. So really Donny Darko is the story of an unfortunate boy with mental problems who is killed by a jet engine. Obviously the time travel element of the story creates the possibility of the two realities. Also the engine of the airplane seems to have come back through time to hit donny. As I say I didn't enjoy it and don't think its a good film. There were no scenes that I found particularly appealling and nothing that I wanted to see again. I enjoyed some of the music especially the 'echo and the bunnymen' tracks. I must admit I didn't think the Donny Darko character was particularly interesting. I'm not criticising the actor as such and recently watched him in 'the day after' and thought he was good in that. The film frankly has no appeal to me at all. I'm frankly surprised people aren't saying how bad it is generally.

Still I've just looked on imdb and the ratings seem to be almost love and hate with very little middle ground.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frankly, I think I would enjoy the film even without all the time travel stuff. I thought the writing was terrific, and I really got to know the characters.

Take one of the first scenes, where the family is sitting at the table for a meal. I just love the writing and performances in that scene, and I could watch it over and over again.

9. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should have watched Donnie Darko and not "Donny Darko"

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That's funny. I wasn't aware there was any actual "acting" in 'The Day After Tomorrow', and it certainly won't be remembered for anyone's acting ability.

11. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I would agree with that. Summed up by Quaid yelling at his partner who had just collapsed in the freezing snow, "Heeeeyyyy are you allllllll rightttttt ???"

Like he half expected the guy to look up and say "yeah im fine.....just having a quick snooze before we walk a bit further"

As far as Darko goes...... I found it very watchable but ultimately confusing. Needs to be watched again.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Just an absolute cracker of a film IMO.. :thumbsup:

The thing is some people just won't be touched by it, no matter how many times they watch it.

Other people (me included) spend the last 10 mins with a lump in their throat, no matter how many times they've already seen it.

All depends on who you are, and where you've been I suppose..

It's an emotional film, based around the characters rather than the story.
    If you connect with the characters this film will get to you, if you dont you'll wonder what it's all about.

NB if you like Donnie Darko you should definitely see 'Dazed & Confused' ;)

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was hooked on Donnie Darko like no other film. For some reason I couldn't leave my couch for a second. Don't really why but I was totally mesmorized (sp?) by it. Great movie I think.

14. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I enjoyed the film but can see why people see different things within Donnie Darko - I only saw it for the first time last weekend, and felt slightly cheated as I had to visit a couple of websites to get the full story and the details of Grandma Death's book. (donniedarko.com is worth a visit if you haven't been there).

Unlike The Usual Suspects (where all the information is on screen and you therefore don't feel cheated). Donnie Darko seemed so vague that you could create your own version of events, details seemed to be missing. Maybe that was the point, or maybe I need to watch it again to pick up on more subtle plot clues.

A friend of mine also watched it for the first time at the weekend, and came up with a different but viable explanation that didn't involve wormholes in time....

SPOILER!!

His take on the film was "Donnie can see into the future, he lies in bed playing forwards the events we see in the film. He works out that the best thing to do is stay in bed and get hit. The end."

15. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apparently you can take a whole religious point of view on the whole set of events - God gives him the opportunity to change the world (by staying in bed and thus hurting his family but saving the girl's life).

Or something like that anyways...

Thought it was a stunning film myself, perfect song to end on too :)

Saw Etnernal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind the other night - had me mesmerised, absolutely gorgeous piece of cinema... but then I loved Lost in Translation and The Station Agent too!

16. Alan1975

Alan1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is a certain amount of "band wagon jumping" going on when it comes to this film!

17. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll start this review off by using one of my favorite movie dialogue quotes, this one from "Repo Man": "People get so hung up on specifics that they miss out on the whole thing." There are people scratching their heads left and right, arguing about whether "Donnie Darko" is a cult film, an art film, a horror movie, a teen-angst movie, a fantasy, a self-important, overrated piece of crap, an underrated classic, blah, blah, blah, and, etc., and etc. (I know this very well, I've found myself to be one of them. :> ). Anyhoo, regardless of whether anyone can pigeonhole this movie or no (especially the jerks out there who call any fan of this movie an idiot and a sucker), this is a great movie. If you have to categorize it and slap on a label on it, why don't we say it's almost everything? This film is full of moving emotional intensity, regardless of genre association or whatever else. It has a lot of truthful things to say, and, despite what some think, it's no teenybopper flick either. The sign of angst is not illustrated in this film by Donnie (played DAMN WELL by Jake Gyllenhaal) looking out from under hair, okay? That's the sign of someone on the verge of complete madness! Get it right! And that one feature on its own does not illustrate this alone, either, because this is well-written, well-acted, and all-around WELL-MADE. If it hurts your head to figure out what's underneath it all, let your mind go and watch it as a MOVIE. Chances are you'll still enjoy it, if you're not looking for a reason to condemn it.

This is one of the most moving, entertaining, and deep films to come out during the past few years, and it is one of the few non-schlock movies of recent times that I actually give more than a flying squirrel's ass about. Some say there's nothing deep and thoughtful about this. Again, people get hung up on specifics. Anyone who knows what it's like to be a teenager in the US should see that this movie has depth, especially since it's not one of those "Heathers" rip-offs. As far as Frank the bunny rabbit, doesn't anyone see that this character is not from the far-off future? Who in the HELL came up with that one? This guy looks to me like he has very much in common with Donnie. I think he is a tortured, young artist who stumbled upon the truth in an unexplained way. (And, believe me, with many movies, including this one, some explanations are BETTER LEFT UNEXPLAINED.) I think that, somehow, he saw something in Donnie that was very important to him, so he wanted to pass his knowledge on to Donnie. Does it make sense that way? Well, this movie is mainly about very unstable people and their personal demons. When the characters you care about are unstable, the movie is unstable, as well as the message. So it will make sense to some, but not everyone. In any case, it certainly makes more since than Frank being from the year 3000, or some garbage like that! Anyway, I love this film, even as I understand that it simultaneously begs to be read into and isn't easily read into at all. Regardless, "Donnie Darko" is one of the best movies ever made, and no one should be called a moron for enjoying it.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I thought Frank the bunny-rabbit, was just the guy going to that hallowe'en party at the end of the film, and travelled back in time to talk to donnie.

19. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    given that donnie sees frank in the mirror and hears his voice, I think we can safely say that 'Frank' and the character who dresses up in the same rabbit outfit at the end are 2 different people....

slightly off-topic, but some people really respond to a film and others don't - no-one is a moron for thinking differently to someone else!

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Why would they be two different people?

Donnie ask him to take off that stupid outfit, he takes off the head and reveals his eye shot out. Donnie shoots him at the end in the eye too.

For me there is no question that Frank is the bunny rabbit suit wearer that talks to Donnie. He travels back in time to talk to him.

21. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Personally, I don't think it's a film that should be 'explained'. It's way too good for that.

But this might help.. It's not a spoiler as such, so I won't tag it...

For me, the key to finally getting the film was Gretchen.
    She makes a couple of what seem throwaway comments which are anything but that.

Then, at the very end of the film, Is Gretchen the same girl we meet at the beginning?

Watch out for the other clues given to Donnie and you'll soon see what's going on in this film.. will probably take you 4 or 5 viewings to get them all..

22. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just watched the film for the first time and my mind is reeling with all the possibilities. I'd be interested to know what you meant.

Excellent, well written and well acted film. Very different, which is no bad thing these days.

23. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The original theatrical cut of this film is very good - all the enigmatic possibilites have made the film such a fevered topic of discussion.

The directors cut tries to explain things which takes away alot of the reasons that make the film so good,my advice would be to anyone that hasn't seen it watch the original first.

If you enjoy it,leave it at that and don't watch the new cut unless you want everything all tied up in a neat bow(However I think most people who like this film
    prefer something to think about).

Red1

24. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, one of the reasons I liked this film so much is that I didn't understand all of it. It made enough sense to hold together, and that was good enough for me. I even avoided all the website stuff that went into more detail, because I liked the film the way it is. But, I just got my Director's Cut yesterday (£8.99 at Play!), so I guess I'll be diving back into the whole meaning of this one again.

But regardless of the underlying plot, this film has great characters, superb acting, dead-on writing, and is very very touching. Take away all the "funky stuff", and this would still be an excellent film.