1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just want to watch TV! :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by richard plumb, Jan 6, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    My old Sony KV-WF1 32" widescreen looks like its about to give up the ghost. So I want to be prepared when it does to have a replacement ready (wasn't planning to replace until the current flat panels come down in price)

Now, I have a projector for DVD watching, so the TV is just for day to day Sky watching, via Tivo (so not perfect source image in the first place)

I'm naturally leaning towards a flat panel, because it'd free up a precious corner of the lounge, which would be perfect as a little activity corner for my little boy (its amazing how much your lounge 'shrinks' when you have children!)

Now, I want lovely pictures from my projector, as its so big, but will I be OK with most 'normal' LCD or plasma screens for normal Sky watching? Even if I watch a DVD on it, it'll probably just be Piglet's big adventure anyway..

I don't want anything smaller than my current 32", so I'm looking at 30/32" LCD/plasma - maybe the philips LCD or the 32" Hitachi plasma.

Any thoughts? Can I do this and wall mount for less than 2.5k?

Other alternative is a cheapo 32" CRT and hang on for another couple of years.

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've been contemplating an alternative to my RP tv for some time, following plasma postings. Unfortunatly if you read many of the threads people seem to be complaining about plasmas for several reasons. Having said that it seems most owners don't want to go back. Perhaps I'm tight but I don't think I can face paying £2 k + to have so much disatisfaction. People are regularly posting they've spent about £3k and report problems with Sky viewing, sleepless nights about screen burn, dead pixels, digital artifacts, sound sync - not only on Sky. I believe LCD will oust Plasma for large screens over the next few years. I think I'll be waiting for lcd to be sorted. About 3 yrs ago I bought a 15" PC monitor for nearly £700. Now they start at £200. I believe Dell will be entering the lcd tv market this year. A few more manufacturers joining in may see tvs prices similarly fall. It goes against the grain to pay more for a 32" (lcd) than a 42" plasma, yet I remain unconvinced about plasma. Hopefully time will sort out prices & screen sizes on lcd. Lets see what plasma owners say about that . I say perch on this fence, it may not be comfortable but the view from up here's not bad.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    I'd love to perch, but my TV might have other ideas! I reckon its got 3 months left in it.

I currently feed everything into the TV via S-video, so I probly only need a simple monitor. I can do without *another* box - I already have 6-7 boxes in a big cupboard, and there's no more space.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I should carry on that way then, s-vid would be an OK signal for a 30" panel, and as this is viewable area not the bit under the bezel as well, it should match up your tv for size. Sharp, sony, philips, relisys, NEC all do them in that size, and one day very soon perhaps so will Iiyama who've been threatening me with stock for 5 months.... The NEC is just a monitor, and very nice, the others are TV's, relisys quite reasonable, but maybe not as nice as the others. See what you can out of that lot.

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a plasma as a CRT-TV replacement. I have two kids that watch cbeebies and fox-kids all the time. I have had no problems with screen burn, logos, regular sound sync problems, artifacts, or any other problems. In fact, it's just a new TV.

My wife and I also watch regular TV on it as well as DVD'd

6. billywizzo

billywizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    taimur what plasma did you get as i am after one but it has to be a good picture when watching tv or the wife wll send it back.

7. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pioneer 433 mxe. I didn't need a tuner box (ie the 434hde which has the same screen) because we're either watching NTL or a DVD. We relegated the VCR to the bedroom. I compared both the pioneer to the series 6 panasonic and the pioneer just pipped the post for me. Both screens are excellent