1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just want to watch the Telly

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Angusdoit, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Angusdoit

Angusdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a question ................. I came into some spare cash and fancy buying a 32" lcd, so I read these pages for a few weeks and am totally confused.

If I want a smart looking thin tv, purely for watching analogue and maybe digital freeview (which I receive) then is an lcd the answer ? I'm not, nor ever will be, interested in connecting pc's, skyboxes or anything else, maybe just a 'normal' dvd player for the kids to watch.

I just want a telly with a good picture to watch and decent quality sound to listen to.

Thanks

Angus

2. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purcharsed the Sharp LC32GA5E with that criteria and I'm very very pleased with the results via NTL digi box, its not the best at via analogue source, but digital and DVD's look fantastic, also got 3 free years warranty through Sharp with it.

I got it through beyondtelevision.com and at the moment they are selling it for £1048.90

3. dukenuke

dukenuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Toshiba 32WL48 last month after seeing good reviews in the press. Unfortunately it has developed a fault and has been returned for a refund. I was unimpressed with the picture quality. Initially I was horrified by how bad it was compared to my 28" Sony crt. However after tweaking the set from comments at this forum I found settings I could live with (just) I never got to test it with progressive scan DVD or at a higher res but my sky digibox feed left me feeling it was a waste of £1300 so to be honest I am glad it broke down so I could get my money back. Take a look at the demos in a high street shop. They are unlikely to be set up properly but they give an indication of what to expect. If you want a thin tv fine, if you want a decent picture I would think long and hard about LCD.

4. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its horses for courses, that said LCD viewing is a totally diffrent from CRT viewing it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, lots of hours spent annoying the wife by constantly tweaking the settings, also the viewing distance can make a good screen look bad if your too close.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you do watch a fair amount of Terrestrial analogue, then the Philips 9986 is the champ with poor quality feeds. It can produce amazing pictures from fairly poor analogue sources. £2000 too much? It has a plenitude of other benefits too....as you may know if you've been scouring this Forum!

Jimmy

6. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    better still use the money on a month long stay in Thailand, you'll never look back and have the time of your life. :clap: :clap:

7. bfinteractive

bfinteractive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the new Hitachi 32PD7200 with motorised base...awesome!

8. deep_thought

deep_thought
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Angus - for a 32" TV I think the answer is 'yes' and I'm happy with my Sharp. The big motivator for my wife and I buying was just elimination of BULK. Picture is good on Sky and I expect the Freeview would be similar. Good becomes great with the right DVD and connections but that clearly doesn't bother you!
    What doesn't get a lot of comment is the other 'downs' of CRT - shiny, curved screen that looks odd at more extreme angles, reflects a lamp in your eyes wherever you sit and accumulates a quarter inch of dust each day.
    I like the fact it just sits where it's wanted not taking up too much space, displays pictures when required and does so while staying cool and quiet.
    Tony

9. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok then the 32' Sharp and a 2 week break in Thailand.....get it done Angus..... :smashin: