1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just upgraded from AE100 to Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DJW, Apr 16, 2004.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another satisifed Z2 user here now .

Although I only project on to a Magnolia wall, until my basement is sorted, the difference between the Z2 & the AE100 I just sold is substantial. Even the kids shouted WOW when they saw how much sharper the definitiion was !!

So if there are any existing PJ owners out there wondering if it is worth upgrading to a Z2....easy answer YES :clap: IMHO I think it out performs most Plasma's I've seen !

Picking up my Arcam DV89 this weekend hopefully, so looking forward to another jump in quality. Then get the basement finished with some GOO on the wall & I should be in heaven ...well a basement actually, but you know what I mean ;)

Downside is this forum is costing me a fortune :devil:

Dave

2. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just done the same thing - sold the AE100 on Wednesday, ordered the Z2 on Thursday, received it today (Friday).

So far it looks a lot better, and I haven't started to tweak it yet. Using a HCPC at 1280x720p, and watched parts of Finding Nemo, how come I'm seeing more bubbles and floating crud everywhere? hehe, so much more detail. Just need to find out the best HCPC/powerstrip settings are for 60Hz/NTSC and 50Hz/PAL!! Anyone know?

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I also would like to upgrade from my AE100 to a Z2 but funds do not permit :) you lucky buggers.
    My Bro will be getting the Z2 next week so I will be fairly depressed :(

I would be interested in your results with the Goo screen, I take it that you are spraying it, as results with a roller sound a little iffy on the forum.
    Good luck.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Would recommend spraying unless you are very very careful when rolling.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    Hate to say it but you'd probably have got just as good if not a better picture with something like the Yamakawa 365divx for £130 cos it's got a DVI output and will upscale stuff to 720p which the Z2 just loves! Trust me, I've hooked one up to mine and it's bloody amazing for the money, 95% of my HTPCs picture quality and that's about as good as it gets to be honest. I'm sure you had your reasons for going for the Arcam but I think there were better ways to spend that sort of money to be honest. Don't take offence, just my honest opinion backed up by experience..

Cheers
    Andy

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    zandy1, what is the movie sound quality like with something like the yamakawa though?

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence taken. I'm learning new stuff all the time.

Main reason for the Arcam was I have a decent Linn setup, with a KARIK CD player that I wanted to replace with a single AV player. The Arcam was the nearest I can get to the CD quality of the KARIK & I'm a sucker for half price sales ;)

Anyone else got any opinions on Andy's advice......tempted to buy the player mentioned just to compare it :zonked:

Dave

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    Sounds ok to me! I'm gonna watch something tonight on it so I'll let you know (kill bill vol 1). From what I've heard so far I've no complaints anyway.
    Seriously, for £140 odd it's the bargain of the century, plays Divx/Xvid/MP3/JPGs as well! Almost a HTPC replacement apart from the lack of hidef playback, can't have it all I suppose...

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    Well, watched kill bill vol1 tonight and I have to say I'm very impressed with this player. Sound was fantastic, picture was fantastic, no skips or anything, amazing stuff for something so cheap. Thoroughly recommended and easy 1:1 mapping on the Z2 at 720p with it..

Andy