1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just took delivery of my new Denon 11SR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stewart C, Dec 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to Glasgow yesterday especially to listen to the Denon AVC 11SR at Loud and Clear (I didn't buy it there and I'll explain why later).

The service was good and so was the amp. The bass seemed a little light but the ex decoding was sensational. The Pod race had no low end grunt but I knew this must have been the set up. Even the worst amps out there would have low end grunt at this part of the film. Heard a couple of movie soundtracks and was convinced that my M&K speakers would sound even better than what they had attached to it. Ruark sattelite speakers and a separate subwoofer, don't know the make. The sound was very clean and clinical. I was expecting the usual Denon warmth but it was not really evident on first listening. To be honest the speakers really didn't do it justice.

I would even go as far as to say it was a touch bright (for a denon !!) but I would later realise that this was the speakers. I didn't mind the slight brightness as I prefer a slightly sharper and clearer soundtrack than a muffled and too warm soundtrack. The amp has a Cinema EQ mode on it that takes out the exceptional brightness of soundtracks if you wanted to use it. This is over and above the THX modes that would also aid this process. The vocals were exceptional. I couldn't quite believe the realism and cinema like quality the vocals had. Good news indeed.

The decoding was superb though. I auditioned an A1Se in my home for two solid weeks before listening to the 11SR and I can say that the processing hardware is exceptional and I couldn't really detect much difference to be honest.

I asked the chap is this is just a rebadged 10SE and I was assured that it was not. The SHARC processing chips are new and the PLII board is also new (well I knew that bit though).

Initially, there did seem to be less power and drive compared to the A1SE but I can't be 100% sure as the amp was fairly new in the demo room and probably needs a good thrashing to get it going (within reason of course). We would all expect this though wouldn't we. Maybe the labs will show an increase in power as the 3802 did over its rated output by Denon. I am quitely confident it will.

Don't get me wrong there will be enough for everyone. I haven't fully tested it yet at volume for control and accuracy.

The box is nowhere near as impressive as the A1SE and is 8Kilo's lighter. The box is still quite a beast though weighing in at 24kg's and leaves no room on my shelf what so ever. Is it my imagination but is it marginally longer than the A1SE.

My last Yamaha Amp was 14Kg's !!

I had to strip my speaker cables as I couldn't use the banana plugs. Anyone any idea how I get the inserts out. I used an alan key last night and they wouldn't budge. I didn't want to push any harder ?

As far as I remember HCC put the A1SE through it's paces and in the lab under 5.1 or 7.1 there was a notable drop from 170w per channel to around 140 before 0.3%THD. This was undetectable to the ear though.

Looking at the 3802 the labs also got about 130w before 0.3%THD. This bodes well for the 11SR which may also be higher than the 125w rated output. If so the power on offer maybe similar. I am not sure though at this very early stage and I want to run mine in first before I let rip.

Unfortunately I don't have the space to to down the EX route but my 2 pence worth is that is is very impressive indeed, at least on the denon. The THX Phantom Menace was extremely impressive with the extra surround. I may have to look at how I could integrate this in my small room.

The purchase itself

I had already been promised a price from Sevenoaks in Glasgow as I like firms to be competitive. I am not the type of person that takes the first price but service counts too. I offered the same package to Loud and Clear to see what they would offer. They wouldn't deal at all. They would rather have an £1800 sale than a sale at a lesser price. Fair enough. I think the deal would never of worked anyway as I had a bad experience with Loud and Clear in the past but wanted to put it behind me and give then another chance for my business. Unfortunately they couldn't and didn't want my business. I went straight round to Sevenoaks and picked up my 11SR, which incidentially was the last one in Glasgow (apparently except for Loud and Clear who have one) and was supposed to be sent to that wonderful publication What Hi Fi !! Sorry to the boys and girls at What Hi Fi but I've got it and you ain't getting it back. So get lost !!

I wouldn't actually want to give it to my beloved HCC, as it would come back exhausted and in bits !! LOL.

Anyway back to the receiver. Unpacked the box last night and connected up to my M&K SS-150 THX speakers and subwoofer. The sound right from the offing was stunning to say the least.

I was waiting for rubbish because everyone tells you that all amps are crap when they come out of the box. I am rubbing my hands together thinking what it will be like when it's warmed up.

First up was Pro Logic II. An advert was on BBC1 about Christmas Films (BIG WOW) but the clip was Rush Hour. One of the kicking sequences and my rears lit up with exceptional rear soundstaging. This was within 10 seconds of switching it on. I was happy. Brought down my VHS Phantom Menace and again found a new level of clarity and preciseness with PLII.

Music too was very rewarding even in this very early stage.

On to Dolby Digital. Did not really test properly last night as time was running out. But first impressions were very good. One thing though I did not have my SPL meter so the settings are not right yet. When I get it back from my mate it will be even better.

All set up display's and functions seemed to mirror the A1SE to the letter. I could not find any deficiencies to speak about. The facia is not as complete as the A1SE when moving the input knob you don't see on the unit where the DVD is or the TV or DBS etc. You just have to shuffle all the inputs until you get to what you want to use. Use the remote is easier.

One thing the A1SE does not have at the moment is the Variable crossover. Set it to THX and forget it at 80Hz. However, I could set it to 40, 60, 80, 100 or 120 Hz. NICE.

The remote I have always said was a poor relation to the U.S. version but hey, all my components are in and it is surprisingly easy to use. I like it. It doesn't look as good as the Pronto's or the Atkis Model, but as I said it is very functional.

I'll have more fun tonight but if you can find one I'd certainly recommend an audition.

Cheers for now.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi

Glad you´ve got your new amp!!

To remove the rubber bungs in the binding posts try a small screwdriver they should just pop out.

The amp will also improve with time, mine did!!

cheers

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have been enjoying my avc11 for 10 days now,though to be honest it's taken this long to get the 7.1 set-up right.
    Now it sounds lovely(especially pod race)
    Have just ordered some 6.1 discrete disks.
    Regards

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you compare it with the A1SE. If you have that is

Regards

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I havn't compared it sonicaly.More fiscasly.
    I figured to get the A1 with the sound feilds that the A11 has would require me spending around 900 pounds extra (with hardware/software upgrade)
    Once I had decided that I couldn't warrent that,there was no reason to audition it.
    I bought the A11.
    Regards