1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just to satisfy my curiosity.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by torimusic, Jul 18, 2002.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were going to buy a high end pre-amp/processor, which brand would you choose ? :

1./ Tag McLaren
    2./ Theta Digital
    3./ Lexicon

If none of the above, which brand would you recommend ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    If money was´nt a factor then I´d have a Lexicon MC12.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I could live with all three. They are great processors. With my money I bought my Tag but the others are still great bits of kit. You would not go wrong with any of them. Just give them good matching equipment to allow them to stretch their wings...;)

Money no object I think it might be a MC12 but a Tag DVD and matching processor is VERY hard to beat. You need to look at the whole package. Tag DVD32 / AV32 or Theta David 11 / Casablanca will both see off a MC12 with most NORMAL DVD players.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A yamaha DSP-E800;)
    Nah, I got to agree with Jase, the Lexicon is king.

5. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would add a few other worthy contenders to the list (in no particular order):

Meridian
    Proceed
    Mark Levinson
    Classe

But having heard most of the aforementioned, I ain't heard anything yet to convince me to ditch my Theta David II/Casablanca II, and buy something else. :)

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony 940 kicks all that junk into touch. No, it does.

7. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. All opinions are welcome I suppose. Glad you like your Sony 940. Do I take it then that you've now decided not to 'up'grade to the TAG then? :rolleyes: ;)

8. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Money no object I think it might be a MC12 but a Tag DVD and matching processor is VERY hard to beat. You need to look at the whole package. Tag DVD32 / AV32 or Theta David 11 / Casablanca will both see off a MC12 with most NORMAL DVD players.

True Nic but anybody with an MC12 probably will not have a "normal" DVD player.
    BTW do Lexicon make a DVD player?

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only joking about the Sony. I am in a state of confusion over what to do next. I think I'll hold off for a while and check out the Tag 192R which I believe is out next spring (?). I would like a Tag but the 32 seems a little limited on inputs. I like the look of the new digital link, similar to the Denon link which will carry unprocessed data straight to the Dacs in the processor for DVD-A etc. Apparently the new DVD192R will have this feature too.

Anyway, I have not auditioned anything yet and I'm just making vague plans. I think it will be Tag in the end though as I like the upgradability too.

What about power amps? Can anyone suggest a good match for when I audition the Tag. Should I stick to the Tag one or try something else (preferably cheaper too)

S

10. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having recently made a decision in favour on the Lexican MC-12B I can tell you that this has to be one of the best pieces of kit that I have ever owned. I listened to Tag and Meridian and actually liked the sound of all three but the Logic 7 on the MC-12 just tipped the scales. Having now used the beast for a couple of months I have no regrets and would make the same decision in favour of the Lex.

The Lex processed sound is incredibly smooth and natural and unlike some processors, seems to be able to generate surround sound without adding other artificial effects.

Facilities are awesome and I'm sure if Sony ever decide to license SACD, it could be added to the Lex without too much of a problem.

I appreciate that it's not much of a measuring stick but my previous amp was a Yam A1 with a seperate power amp for the front speakers. When I replaced the Yam with the Lex and listened to stereo without any processing, the difference was amazing. I guess you get what you pay for!

I don't think you will go wrong with any of your listed choices.

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TAG DVD + AV + Bryston powers...

You can buy the AV32R now, and upgrade to the 192 when it is available, I will upgrade my 32 to 192, and get the DVD192 when they are available, also want the full digital output for video and processing of DVD-audio...

12. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i beleive that Lex do indeed have something in the pipeline, although nothing official appears to be out there, yet! i would go for a Lex MC12b with m&k active 150s all around. not the most extravagent, but still very good value for money at that price point. saying that, the integra research stuff is not bad...