• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just to clarify...?

john-boi

Standard Member
Ok in a day or two SIbeer will have kindly copied the game saves to my memory card and I will be ready to mod my Argos xbox.

A couple of what I guess are really basic questions.

I want to retain my original xbox hard drive untouched/unmodded but obviously need to access it via FTP and in order to do this I need to start the mod process as far as creatng a back up of the eeprom.

WIll this work can I start the mod back up the eeprom C and E drives in order to build my bigger drive then just come out of the process? Or once starting the game save have I started on a road of no return and if I come out of it I won't be able to boot my xbox??????

THis is a really basic Newb question so bear with me.

In order to get HDTV signals coming out of my xbox I need to use the video switcher and change to NTSC does this mean that the modded xbox will not play PAL DVD's/Games?

Can I change back to PAL with the same program as one house I go to does not have an NTSC enabled TV and need to use my xbox on that now and again

thanks

John

scumball

Distinguished Member
I want to retain my original xbox hard drive untouched/unmodded but obviously need to access it via FTP and in order to do this I need to start the mod process as far as creatng a back up of the eeprom.

WIll this work can I start the mod back up the eeprom C and E drives in order to build my bigger drive then just come out of the process? Or once starting the game save have I started on a road of no return and if I come out of it I won't be able to boot my xbox?????? The softmod installer I used (SID v3.0) has a FTP server built into it when you boot from the gamesave. This should enable you to get the files you need without actually changing anything. I'm sure the other installers offer this too.

THis is a really basic Newb question so bear with me.

In order to get HDTV signals coming out of my xbox I need to use the video switcher and change to NTSC does this mean that the modded xbox will not play PAL DVD's/Games?
No, most PAL games will play fine on a NTSC machine, however some do not. Mainly EA games releases like Fight Night, Tiger Woods etc. For those you will need to be in PAL mode for PAL games and NTSC mode for NTSC games.

Can I change back to PAL with the same program as one house I go to does not have an NTSC enabled TV and need to use my xbox on that now and again. Yes you can keep changing back and forth easily....

thanks

John

john-boi

Standard Member
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I've already got the joytech component cables so should be fine there just waiting for my memory card to come back then I'm good to go:clap:

Its fun when you first mod your box, just take your time and if you do not know do a search or even post a question and someone will help you.

Doing my first box took a while as I was careful with what I done, if I needed to do it again it would take about 10 mins.

Good Luck :smashin:

blisteringblue

Established Member
Just make sure whatever you do the first thing you do before you use any exploit is make a full backup of the MS Dash and your Eeprom, after that you can mess up all you like (to a fashion), it's quite easy to restore things.

john-boi

Standard Member
At first the whole process seemed really daunting but having read a lot of the posts on here and Sibeers modding guide it is slowly making more sense day by day.

As long as I can get FTP access and back up my original drive then I'll be happy as that will be my fail safe in the unlikely event it goes wrong.

What I read about what a modded xbox can do does seem too good to be true considering I got it in the Argos deal for £49.99 and I'm hopefully going to get a media centre aswell as a games machine thats amazing value.

Much appreciation to all you people on this forum what a great friendly resource this is:clap: :clap:

triplea4uk

Established Member
You could create a restore disc which is simple use Krayzie package you just have to drop few bits in the correct folders already in place then burn the disc.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Modded my two Argos Xbox's today using the softmod method. I already had a hard-modded xbox so didn't really know how difficult it would be to soft-mod but it was quite straight forward.

The most difficult part was adding the necessary files onto a USB stick, but once I had solved that it was plain sailing!

john-boi

Standard Member
You could create a restore disc which is simple use Krayzie package you just have to drop few bits in the correct folders already in place then burn the disc.

Thats interesting never come across a restore disc before.

Is this done by FTPing from the xbox to PC with the Krayzie disc in the xbox.SOme more info would be appreciated I like the idea of being able to go back if it doesn't work.

triplea4uk

Established Member
This is taken from readme in Krayzie pack

-Restore from rescue disc:
This option will remove the exploit files and lets you select what parts of the xbox you want to restore from a rescue disc.
For how to create such a disc read the Rescue disc section.

The Rescue disc:

This may be nice to recover from messed up systems (or even to set up bigger hd's).
In your rescue disc folder you will find three folders which you can use to put files in:

C drive: In this folder you should put the files you wish to use to replace the C contents. This could either be stock files
(from HD backup, slayer's AID disc etc.) or it could be modded files (gathered from pc backups in modded state).

E drive: In this folder you should put the files you wish to use to replace the E contents. This could either be stock files
(savegame folders: TDATA and UDATA) or it could be modded files (gathered from pc backups in modded state).

Dashboard: In this folder you could put a dashboard in case the dashboard on the Xbox is gone or damaged. the dashboard
folder on E will be replaced by the dashboard folder on this disc. You can put any dashboard in here as long as it's
executable is named default.xbe

So basically:

To recover to stock:

Put stock files in C drive folder.

Fill the E drive folder with the UDATA and TDATA backups from your Xbox. If you didn't back them up you could try to get ftp
access prior to using this option and ftp over the UDATA and TDATA folder from your Xbox. If you don't have or want any
backups you could just leave the UDATA and TDATA folders empty. There should be no folders other then TDATA and UDATA present
if you are reverting to stock.

In the disc menu choose the restore system option.

To recover to modded state:

Put full C drive backup from modded unprotected state in C drive folder. (You can get the full C drive files by ftping in
from the gamesave installer's menu).

Put full E drive backup in E drive folder.

In the disc menu choose the restore system option.

To recover dashboard

Put dashboard in dashboard folder. (dash's xbe named default.xbe)

In the disc menu choose the restore dashboard option.

Setting the network settings: (in case you want ftp access)

You will have to do this prior to burning the disc because they can't be edited while running from disc. Default is set to
DHCP. To do this open the xml file and edit the network settings to your likings.

Burning xbox discs:

Make an Xbox iso from the Rescue disc or Extras folder. You can use any Xbox image creator app for this.
I prefer Qwix (http://www.teamavalaunch.com/qwix/).
Then burn the iso as an image using any disc burning app.
!!!Make sure you use discs you know your Xbox can read!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom