1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just taken delivery of the Hyundai HPT-4240

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by shaunrs500, Jun 23, 2004.

1. shaunrs500

shaunrs500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new on here..... so take it easy on me!!!! lol

I have been looking at purchasing a Plasma for some time now and have always found reasons to hold off on purchase. For the past few weeks I have been looking at the Hyundai HPT-4240. Admittedly the price drew me in to begin with, but I really wanted to know what I would be sacrificing against a screen that could easily cost over twice as much.

Unfortunately I was unable to find anything of any consequence regarding this screen, apart from a few specs but never any personal testimants on what it was like (and I scoured the internet for weeks). At the end of the day £1800 is a lot to spend if the set proves to be a total piece of junk. If the set was crap then I would of course looked at spending a lot more cash...... but you have to look in to these things and a lot more cash doesnt always mean that "I" will reap the benefits.

I had been in to Comets on a number of occasions to see the Hyundai along with many other sets, but of course having a spurred composite signal shared by many sets will never give you a true indication of the capabilities. Because of this I asked one of the assistants to plug a direct feed in to the Hyundai (DVD Player) to see what that was like. Along my travels on the web I received mixed spec's on whether the set had SCART RGB, as this input was very important to me (as I used this for all my sources on my present CRT). I looked at the back of the set and didn't see the normal three dots above the scart socket so assumed the worse. I asked the assistant about this and he looked and also concluded the same. "Oh well" i thought and still went ahead with the demo. The image from the DVD player was sharp and smooth and impressed me enough to take the plunge and buy it.

Since I had to wait for delivery, I did a bit more research on these and many other forums to find anything else out I could. I also contact JS Technologies about an RGB to Component and RGB to VGA convertor to get me around the lack of RGB SCART issue. Big thumbs up to John for his help and guidance..... excellent response and help!!! :clap: At least I now found a way of connecting via component now.

I must admit I did start to get abit concerned to how the picture would look from my Sky box... which is not Sky+ hasten to add, as I started to see so many negative posts about this type of source.

I took delivery of my set yesterday and got straight to work to get it setup.

Upon setting it up I tuned the set in via the analogue in built receiver (well twin actually as it has PIP) just to get a quick look. To be honest I was well impressed by the aerial signal on such a big screen.

Next up was Sky connection. Since I hadn't had chance to sort out a convertor I used SCART to SCART (full 21pin) between decoder and Plasma. Once I set it up I couldn't believe how clear the picture was, especially after reading so many posts on how these things looked on a Plasma. As I was playing I looked at the setup of Sky to change the format to 16:9 and noticed that the menus in Sky were pin sharp.... very strange for composite. After more playing, I did indeed find out that the SCART input on the Hyundai is in fact RGB..... BONUS!!!!!

With this happiness in hand I slapped my SCART RGB switch box on and connected everything up. :)

I was amazed by the overall quality of images on such a cheap Plasma Screen and am overjoyed with the purchase. With the added benefit of the SCART RGB input, meant all my analogue sources could be connected at there native highest output of quality.

I am no AV purist, so if a purist looked at it he may moan, but for me it is ideal and a well worth while purchase.

The screen has all the inputs I require should I need and looks really cool sat on my glass table. I expect that much dearer screens are better, but it's horses for courses and this horse certainly is a winner for me! :)

I managed to wangle 9 mnths interest free credit and free delivery from comets, so for £1800 I am over the moon.

Game consoles are a sheer joy to look at through this screen!! :) I havent had time to connect my progression scan DVD player up yet, but that should be really cool as well hopefully.

Hopefully this will give some others an much needed insight to this screen, which is something I never had.

Any specific questions, I will be pleased to answer as well.

Regards,
    Shaun.

2. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to the forums, and thanks for this detailed report, Shaun. :)

3. cmw14

cmw14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just wanted to add, I also took delivery of one of these sets and have to agree very pleased with the quality.

My only nag is the setup menu obscures the screen when adjusting. Makes it difficult as you have to make a change, come out check, then go back.

Anyone got any good sources on best setups re temp, contrast, brightness etc

4. lutonian

lutonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It's a top tv, especially when you use the dvi connection via a htpc :)

Yeah, my only complaints are regarding the naff menu system :-(

5. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you watched any DVD's like LOTR or Blade (I/II) where there are a lot of dark scenes? Does the Hyundai turn the dark areas into blocks of colour or do you get some detail? I'm interested in seeing how this compares as I recently bought the Goodmans 42" plasma (a rebranded LG unit) which I'm considering returning. The posterisation is also noticable sometimes on skintones, sometimes described as looking at an ordinance survey map, personally I would describe it as an 80's pop video.

What comes with the Hyundai out of the box? The Goodmans came with a handy wall bracket which saved me a hundred quid or so!

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the same problems on a Fujitsu plasma...any experts out there throw some light on this? Only using S Video at the moment. Would RGB or component sort this out? Or is it a problem with the source?
    Only picked the plasma up last night, and on bright scenes, like live feeds on Sky news, it's nigh on perfect. However, Men In Black II via Sky + was an utter mess!! Do I need to learn to live with it, or can I expect a marked improvement when I get the screen to eye level and a decent distance away...?
    Any suggestions would be good suggestions...apart from "Stick it up you 'arris - that should improve the picture..." :D

7. banzo

banzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone,

I own a Hyundai HPT-4240. I was really enjoying it until last week. Two main problems: If I switch on the screen from standby, it sometimes struggles to come on. It used to normally come on and then say "video2 no signal" or say "video2 Detected" when my sky+ box, for example is switched on. I can now hear the screen clicking away a number of times and never coming on. Used to click once and then turn bluish and display what ever the input was. Sometimes if I turn it on from standby and quickly press video2 on the remote then it operates normally. Once it is working normally, I find a large spread of pinkish grains appearing on the screen and splashing across the images. What is going on? Does anyone know? I know the kids use the screen/tv but they could not have pressed any buttons that messed up some settings. Surely??? I am lost and worried. Anyone experienced this? My screen is still less than a year old, how good are Hyundai or Comet at sorting these problems. Do I need to check any settings? Someone please help. I really miss my crispy nice pictures. I am waiting. Many thanks.

banzo :confused:

8. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news! Pleased to hear that you're happy with your choice and thanks for the detailed write up. I know it's been said before, but it's also great to see a post on here that isn't about a bloody PV500! Hope your DVD experience is as good as the rest and please no flaming about the panny commment. IT'S A JOKE GUYS! :thumbsup: :D :rotfl:

Bigfatsi

9. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have to say that I was watching a "cheap" (as earlier described on here) Techwood 42" plasma the other night in a pub. I have to say the PQ was really quite OK. Ok, not as good as my Pio but for the money it was good. Colours were a little dull but that could just be the settings on the panel. There didnt seem to be any artifacts or blurring while watching Eastenders and the usual low quality drivel.

I do tend to spend a little more money to get better quality and so I doubt if I would have bought it myself but for those who aint got the money to spend i would say that some of the cheaper screens would be very adequate

Steve

10. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just add a little to your comments not that its much help just that it reminded after reading your post but I too was in a pub last night and they had a 42" Relisys plasma on the wall showing the golf and I must say it was bloooody awful. Everything was blurred.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Interesting reading, since Hyundai, relysis and Techwood are pretty much the same thing. And Brian, you haven't sold the panny already have you? Do you have any kit over 3 months old?

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the date of my post Martin - it's over a year old...I don't get time to watch the gear these days, let alone trade it... :thumbsdow

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    LOL! Missed the year!!!