Just switched to SkyQ - Feedback

Twin Turbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Switched to Q on Monday, and while it's a slick piece of kit, there are a few things that I feel could be better. Maybe there are solutions to these "problems" already, but here are my thoughts....

- Please reinstate the "green button reminder" option. It's all well and good being able to record loads of things at once, but sometimes you want to be reminded something is starting now as opposed to watching it later ie. football matches.

- You can no longer scroll through your favourite channels by pressing the blue button.
Instead you have to go into the TV Guide, etc.
That's not ideal, but I feel this could be incorporated into the "press right for last channel" option that's there at the minute. ie. press right, last channel appears. Press right again, your first favourite appears. Right again, second favourite, and so on.

- The option to hide all adult content is very handy with the kids. Would it be possible to include other options ie. religion, shopping, etc.?

- UHD recordings appear on the mini box planner even though they can't be viewed. This means that unless I'm 100% sure I'm going to watch the program/series in the main room, I'll have to record them in HD so I can watch them in the either room. Bit of a faff.
Ideally the mini box could handle UHD.
But seeing as that's not currently an option, maybe either of the following could be implemented....
1. Hide the UHD recordings on the minibox planner.
2. When recording something in UHD, an option pops up saying "This UHD recording will not play on the minibox. Would you like to
a) Record in UHD only
b) Record in HD only
c) Record in both UHD and HD.

Option a), the UHD recording only shows in the planner of the main box.
Option b), the HD recording shows on both boxes.
Option c), the UHD recording shows on the main box, and the HD recording shows on the mini box.

- I navigated into the UHD movies, and saw the Skull Island icon. Decided this is what I wanted to watch, and pressed "record" to . Nothing happened. Instead I had to press "select" to go into the icon, and then press "select" again to download. Why not allow the option to record from the icon page? That way you'd never have to navigate away from said page. Instead, just highlight/record, highlight/record, etc. If I'm unsure of what the movie is about, then I have the option to "select" it and read the info.

- Pressing "backup" while watching tv should bring you into the TV Guide at the last channel you selected. As it stands, I navigate through the tv guide to find something I want to watch, say 402.
After a few minutes I decide to change.
I've already been through all the channels up to 402, so I know there's nothing I want to watch. But I still have to go back into tv guide, navigate back down to 402, and then start my search from there.
Pressing "backup" and returning to where I left the tv guide would be a lot more user friendly.

- I love the "long press" implementation of the power button to turn on/off the tv. I feel this "long press" could be implemented elsewhere.
At the minute, if I want to continue the last recording I was watching, I need to press the home button, into continue, scroll to program, and select.
A more usable solution would be to "long press" the play/pause button, and the last watched recording would continue from where it stopped.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the minute guys. Like I said, maybe there are solutions available already. If there are, please share.
But as it stands, I reckon the above changes would make the SkyQ experience even more user friendly.

TT.

You can get to favourites while watching a programme without needing to go into the menu. Instead of pressing right for last channel, try left.. IIRC there's a way of changing to favourites there..

Reminders aren't part of the roadmap for Q at the moment. They are more complex than it first appears - which box should they appear on, for example.. what if they're set from the app.., etc.

Record wouldn't work on Skull Island because there's no broadcast to record. Instead you're selecting to download. The second screen you see after selecting it allows you to select the format to download (SD,HD, UHD)

Thanks for your reply rs. If I can reply....

You can get to favourites while watching a programme without needing to go into the menu. Instead of pressing right for last channel, try left.. IIRC there's a way of changing to favourites there..

Will look into that, thanks.
Obviously I haven't seen the favourites shortcut you mention above, but does it just list them, or does it work like the last channel one ie. real time window?
I still feel it'd be better/cooler to have it integrated into the "right button" option, and have the realtime feed appear at the bottom.

Reminders aren't part of the roadmap for Q at the moment. They are more complex than it first appears - which box should they appear on, for example.. what if they're set from the app.., etc.

Maybe I'm stupid/naive, but couldn't they appear on both boxes? I know they worked independently on SkyHD, but surely have it showing up on both/all boxes is better than not having them appear at all?

Record wouldn't work on Skull Island because there's no broadcast to record. Instead you're selecting to download. The second screen you see after selecting it allows you to select the format to download (SD,HD, UHD)

Calling it "recording" or "downloading" is only splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned. I was browsing the UHD section, so surely the format would be UHD?!

Anyways, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and thanks for your input.

You can totally see how hard it must be to design/implement/release a new system!

I believe you can browse favourites with live preview, the same as for last channel, or any other channel..

Reminders popping up on all boxes would suit some people, but drive others mad. I can imagine annoying child setting reminders for lots of programmes, just to annoy everyone else watching TV..

Calling it "recording" or "downloading" is only splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned.
It's not splitting hairs at all. Your comparison above is like comparing apples with pears as rs101 was not using the two words synonymously which is apparently how you have interpreted his usage. The method of delivery is completely different. It appears that you can record 'live' TV from the satellite but not downloaded over the internet stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom