Just starting out...

Artfuldodger

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased this game, I had not played an f1 game for years so was looking forward to playing it. I have found the graphics and set up to be great and enjoyed playing the game, untill now that is.
I joined the williams team, set everything on easy, A.I driver's amatuer ect. as knew to the game decided to learn before advancing.
In Melbourne I came 4th, doing well I thought but alas things are now not going to well. China, difficult track, I can not do better than 1.44 which puts me way down the field. I have the fastest speed with oversteer set up from the garage.On qualifyer I overtake many cars, I follow the line to almost a tee yet can not improve my timing, average being 1.46. The car's I overtake seem to get a better timing? I use the ps3 controller, which is I know not ideal for this type of game, it also make cornering very difficult.
Has any one else, when starting, had this type of experiance? If you got a better time how? I have tried everything bar the manual set up as I do not really know what im doing.
Thanks in advance

The way I see it practice makes perfect. For you it's still early days with F1 2010, but you'll get better. Having used both PS3 controller and Steering wheel I prefer the controller for this game, although like most games it takes a little time to get used to the controls,. Get to know the tracks, set ups and what not's and play the game a little more and you'll get faster and faster. Hope this helps. :)

Remember, your set ups will need to alter between circuits. Having the top speed setting (fastest top speed, minimum downforce) is fine on a circuit like Melbourne as the majority of the track is made up from straights, or long fast sweeping bends. You can get away with minimum downforce and less grip.

However, Shanghai is a more technical circuit with lots of medium speed corners. If you are running the minimum downforce set up then yes, you will be fastest in a straight line. But you will probably find that you cannot take the bends as quick because you do not have the downforce to do so, thus losing time.

Try running a few practice laps with different setups (increased downforce) and see if you can improve lap times.

Hi I am new to this game as well and have found a steering wheel and pedals much easier, I have also turned braking assist and auto gearbox off, as I too could not lower my times. I have stopped racing and now do Time trials to practice at each track. I have found that smooth driving and balanced turns make a lot of difference. Last night I took 3minutes of my track best on the Italian F1 track.

Hi I am new to this game as well and have found a steering wheel and pedals much easier, I have also turned braking assist and auto gearbox off, as I too could not lower my times. I have stopped racing and now do Time trials to practice at each track. I have found that smooth driving and balanced turns make a lot of difference. Last night I took 3minutes of my track best on the Italian F1 track.

3 minutes:eek::confused:

:eek::facepalm::eek:

It is quite a bit easier with a wheel for this game but you can still do well with the pad

You're probably making a lot more mistakes than you realise, usually one of them is being a bit too tame through
some of the corners...you should see how fast you can take each corner until you spin, then go backwards from there a little

You get the hang of it. Playing without Traction Control is quite difficult in the beginning.

I really mean 3 minutes...honest!

...so maybe you still have a bit of work to do in this area :)

i find with this game if you play it enough you eventually get zoned in as to what is required to be competitive - but most importantly of all, consistent. one superfast flying lap counts for little if you cannot keep it on the track lap after lap (that applies to online racing too).

one of the best things about this game is how it simulates the change of grip in the car during the race, so the real skill is being able to change your pace as a driver up or down depending on the limit of the car at any given time.

i generally race on the hardest setting with no driver aids at all except auto pit limiter (because that feature never seemed to work properly). if i am really off the pace during practice sessions then i will put tc back up to medium for that race or that session. a lot of the driver aids slow the car down - take them off! another good piece of setup advice which seems to be proving true is to run the car with as little wing as posible on most tracks except the likes of monaco where it is more or less maximum

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom