Just some advice please

Mark306

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a windscreen TV but I read somewhere on here it is not worth buying TV's with Dolby pro logic as this has been superseded by Dolby Digital. In which case I am thinking about buying a Nicam TV then buy a DVD player with Dolby Digital.

I assume this will enable me to watch DVDs in DD but what about DD programs shown on normal Television, will they be played in DD? Also will the DVD player be backwards compatible with Dolby logic? I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in Advance
Mark

Oh and Merry Christmas !!!! :p

Hi Mark,

First of all, I presume you mean widescreen and not "windscreen"? :D

I suggest you go for either a Nicam or Dolby Digital set. You'll find that most of the new televisions have Dolby Digital (and some even DTS!) decoders built-in. Either way, if you have a DVD player with DD decoding then yes, you can watch DVD's in Dolby Digital 5.1.

In order to watch your television programs through your speakers (which I'm assuming will be connected to your DVD if you're getting one with built-in DD decoding), you'll need to carry the signal out of the TV and to the DVD player with a seperate cable.

Bare in mind, that most television channels are still using Nicam Stereo if you're using analogue or maybe Dolby ProLogic if you're using Digital. However, unless you've got a Sky+ box, no channels are sending audio out in Dolby Digital 5.1 quite yet! :(

If you are using digital, or satellite, then instead of carrying the signal from the TV to the DVD, you'd use a cable (probably a co-axial I think) to carry it from the set-top box to the DVD.

Hope that helps. I'm sure the others will correct me if I made any mistakes! ;)

Happy Christmas!

thanks for the reply, oh and I blame my spell check :)

I own a Panasonic 32PF10, 32" W/S telly. This has superb picture quality but is only NICAM stereo. The new Panny tellies have DD & DTS 5.1 surround + progressive scan for Region 1 DVDs. The only channels from Sky with DD 5.1 are Sky Premier W/S & the Box Office PPV W/S, you will need a Sky+ box for this.
Ta, Neil
:clown: :clown: :clown:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom