1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just some advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark306, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Mark306

Mark306
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about buying a windscreen TV but I read somewhere on here it is not worth buying TV's with Dolby pro logic as this has been superseded by Dolby Digital. In which case I am thinking about buying a Nicam TV then buy a DVD player with Dolby Digital.

I assume this will enable me to watch DVDs in DD but what about DD programs shown on normal Television, will they be played in DD? Also will the DVD player be backwards compatible with Dolby logic? I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in Advance
    Mark

Oh and Merry Christmas !!!! :p

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,529
    Mark, if you read up a bit about the various sound formats in the FAQ here, you will learn some stuff.
    There are no 'normal programs' shown on 'normal' television in Dolby Digital. Suprisingly few are in Prologic, even.
    The only sources for Dolby Digital are DVD and a very few programs transmitted on Sky and received using a Sky+ box.
    When buying a TV, concentrate on picture quality. Nicam would be fine for sound. Then buy your DVD player. You can feed the stereo left+right output into your TV (as yes, all DVDs are prologic and stereo compatible) until....
    you buy a Dolby Digital amplifier, 5 speakers and a subwoofer.
    Then you feed the audio signals from the DVD player and your cable/sky box into that.
    Read some of the basic intro articles on the What Video site and the Total DVD site. Both of these have 'connection up' articles which should help clarify things.

3. Mark306

Mark306
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, the Total DVD sites seems to have loads of info, so i'll read that :)

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying a windscreen TV but you can't get the wipers for them.