Just sold my Mission 753 & 752 Freedoms @ £400 what to get now

Pjalchemist

Ex Member
Reaction score
Im guessing i did alright with selling the 753's and 752 Freedom's for £400

So thats my buget, whats good for the buck. My system is an Arcam Alpha 9

You've got a £400 budget, but what do you want the budget to buy you?

A pair of speakers, two pair, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1...???

Floorstanding, bookshelf, satellite?

I'm going to assume you simply want a single pair of speakers. Can you give us any parameters? How will the speakers be used; music (what style), music & movies, movies only, loud, medium, quiet, bass heavy or well balanced, etc...???

Also, what was it about the Mission 753 that made you want to get rid of it, and what to you expect from the new speakers, that the Missions weren't giving you?

Are you sure you can come up with a little more cash to expand your budget?

Just speculation on my part but the Tannoy Mercury F4 are about £300, and for about £330, you can get the Q Acoustic 2050.

Again, with no parameters or framework for our suggestions, it is hard to guess what will fill your needs.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
You've got a £400 budget, but what do you want the budget to buy you?

A pair of speakers, two pair, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1...???

Floorstanding, bookshelf, satellite?

I'm going to assume you simply want a single pair of speakers. Can you give us any parameters? How will the speakers be used; music (what style), music & movies, movies only, loud, medium, quiet, bass heavy or well balanced, etc...???

Also, what was it about the Mission 753 that made you want to get rid of it, and what to you expect from the new speakers, that the Missions weren't giving you?

Are you sure you can come up with a little more cash to expand your budget?

Just speculation on my part but the Tannoy Mercury F4 are about £300, and for about £330, you can get the Q Acoustic 2050.

Again, with no parameters or framework for our suggestions, it is hard to guess what will fill your needs.

Steve/bluewizard

Hey BlueWizard,

I'll need a pair for sure. I've been use a 2.1 almost (752F's then i got the 753's).

A proper 2.1 wouldn't be bad but also a 5.1 be nice.

Floorstanding is gonna be nice, i prefer the look and presnse of them.

Musics wise, R1, R1Xtra, R4, metal, rock, drum and base, dub step. Movies, TV, Loud, heavy, base

The Missions were well used and abused i think. The 753's has a tweater on it's way out.

Was hoping something moden could give more, better tech, materials, design, styles etc over the old stuff.

I guess i could add a few extra £100's into it, £300 maybe extra so total being £700

Dali Lektor 6 -

Dali Lektor 6 stereo speakers

Google-UK Shopping - Dali Lektor 6

Dali Concept 8, 3-way, twin 8" woofers -

Dali Concept 8 - Google Product Search

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 - Google Product Search

Monitor Audio RX 6 -

Monitor Audio RX6 - Google Product Search

B&W 684 -

B&W 684 stereo speakers

If you are more serious about how much ass you can kick, then how well you can kick it, the Dali Concept 8 are some huge powerful speakers. Though, they can kick just as well as they do hard.

For reference, these are you previous speakers? -

Mission 753 floorstanders - AudioEnz Forums

Despite having 4 woofers, I think this is just a simple 2-way system originally retailing for about £780.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Dali Lektor 6 -

Dali Lektor 6 stereo speakers

Google-UK Shopping - Dali Lektor 6

Dali Concept 8, 3-way, twin 8" woofers -

Dali Concept 8 - Google Product Search

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 - Google Product Search

Monitor Audio RX 6 -

Monitor Audio RX6 - Google Product Search

B&W 684 -

B&W 684 stereo speakers

If you are more serious about how much ass you can kick, then how well you can kick it, the Dali Concept 8 are some huge powerful speakers. Though, they can kick just as well as they do hard.

For reference, these are you previous speakers? -

Mission 753 floorstanders - AudioEnz Forums

Despite having 4 woofers, I think this is just a simple 2-way system originally retailing for about £780.

Steve/bluewizard

Bloodyhell Steve, what do you drink? What do you personly recomend me?

Yeah they are the Mission 753's i had. I'd stuffed socks into 2 ports which offered more base and did the tweater mod which made it sound nicer but it still was not enough!

Bloodyhell Steve, what do you drink? What do you personly recomend me?

Again, I just gave you a cross section to give you some idea of what was possible.

Right on your original budget is the Dali Concept 6. That would be worth a listening.

The Dali Concept 8 is a big speaker. I would expect this to really Rock the House. The most common price seems to be about £635/pr. This probably represents the most for your money is a quality respected speaker.

Next, I would say the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7. I've got the Diamond 9.6 and they are a pretty impressive speaker. The new 10.7 have 6.5 inch woofer instead of the 8" found in the Diamond 9.6, but the specs on the new 10.7 still look pretty good. Price on these is around £679.

If you are going to insist on your original budget of about £400, then the possibilities shift a little.

Monitor Audio BR5 @ £340/pr

or perhaps careful shopping on the Monitor Audio BR6 -

Monitor Audio BR6 - Google Product Search

Possibly the Mission M35i @ £350.

I have kind of mixed feeling about the KEF 'C' series, but the 'IQ' series is very well regarded, and you might find something like the KEF IQ50 -

KEF Iq50 - Google Product Search

I think off the top of my head, the two I would investigate first would be the Dali Concept 8, mostly because it is a big powerful speaker. Second, the Wharfedale 10.7. I've not had a chance to really listen to the new 10 series, but all indications are that it does have some improvements over the older 9 series, and they certainly look nice.

The difference is, the Dali Concept are selling at a discount, and the Wharfedales are at or near standard retail price.

If you search YouTube you can find some video demoing the Concept speakers. You have to choose your videos wisely, and take them with a grain of salt, as there are so many factors like the camera microphone, the speakers you are listening on, but I think with clear quality videos you can get some sense of the speakers. They also allow you to see the speaker in a normal environment to get a more realistic idea of the size. However, nothing substitutes for listening in person.

Here are a couple of tolerable videos of Dali Concept speaker, but again, there are a lot of factors clouding what you hear -

YouTube - Dali Concept 6 and XTZ 99 W10.16

YouTube - Dali Concept 6 & Dali Concept 1 Loudspeakers

In most cases, YouTube video are so poorly recorded as to be a waste of electrons.

Nothing will substitute for listening in person.

As to the suggested Focal speakers, I doubt you will find anything in your price range, but these are stunningly clear speakers.

The small bookshelf Focal run like this -

165mm, 55hz, Focal 706 = £350/pr
165mm, 55hz, Focal 806 = £499/pr
180mm, 50hz, Focal 807 = £599/pr

Again, stunning clarity, but these speakers are just too small for me.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom