just smoked the Pio XDE507 plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by df1603, Sep 9, 2007.

1. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Need help....Pioneer xde507 produces gray smoke and the plasma goes out with the bang...

I had following active connections to the plasma: skyHD via hdmi, xbox360 via component, dvd via hdmi, receiver composite to video1 (the only receiver output connected to plasma), pc cable vga, pc audio-in, plasma speakers connected to receiver center. xbox and dvd were on stand-by, sky and receiver were on, pc vga and pc audio were disconnected from pc.

Here is the sequence of events step-by-step:
    1. viewing the receiver's menu on plasma vid1, in the receiver's setup menu I select audio inputs for dvd (dvd on stand-by) and for sky (sky is on).
    2. I exit the receiver's menu while switching the receiver source for audio to sky (Sky Movies HD1),
    3. The receiver recognizes DD signal of sky but the sound is somehow distorted and low volume. Note that the receiver worked fine with analog CD connection before.
    4. In the same time I am selecting sky/hdmi input on plasma, sky picture is fine. Sound is still distorted.
    5. Wondering about sound problems I am switching off the plasma and the receiver and checking all the cables, everything seems to be fine.
    6. I am switching the plasma back on, selecting vid1 to view receiver menu and then the plasma displays the warning message in the middle of the screen, screen goes black with thick smoke coming from the back of the plasma (right side)
    7. Immediately switching off both the receiver and the plasma and checking all the cables again. All seems to be fine.
    8. Switching the plasma on - more smoke, switching plasma off.
    9. Turning on the receiver - and boom, sparks and receiver goes dead.
    10. Disconnecting ALL the cables from plasma - turning plasma on - more smoke....
    11. Suspecting power surge but all other equipment is fine....
    12. turning plasma on - no smoke but no sign of life except of blinking stand-by light. Turning on the receiver, it goes on stand-by but not further.

Anyway, plasma seems to be dead, receiver is dead, both still on warranty....I am suspecting receiver, any ideas what could have happened here?

2. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    I suspect you are right, some sort of surge, blown power supplies in both units.

3. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    but I had tons of other equipment connected to mains at that time and everything seems to be fine...

4. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Understood, but I see it all the time.

My 2 servers are on a 1500 watt surge protected ups, both the same and power supply to one server failed following a power spike.

The plasma and the receiver draw far more power off the mains hense I suspect the spike was more intense through those units.

5. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    omg, any chance to get this repaired under warranty or shall I start looking through the details of my home insurance?

6. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Go down the warranty route, but check your home insurance, did both units come from the same place.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If they both came from the same shop, and failed at exactly the same time, I personally would be questioning whether warranty is the route. You'd get away with it if the 2 came from different places, they'd never know.

8. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    That was going to be my next answer MAW, just say it stopped working, even if they came from the same place ring Pio customer services directly and tell thrm the tv wont come on, dont mention the amp.

However if the amp came from MAW then you're in trouble.:suicide:

9. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, Plasma is from JL, still with 1mo of Pio warranty and 4yrs of JL remaining, the receiver just came back from manufacturer service/repair yesterday, apparently replaced with new unit.

So, it all happened while I was connecting/setting up the receiver after repair last nite. The plasma went off with the smoke first, then the receiver went off after few minutes, when I tried to switch it back on again.

I opened the receiver this morning and found the main fuse 4A burned. Replaced the fuse and the receiver switches on but then turns off immediately after 2-3sec.

This morning the power went off for 10min. I think this can be related somehow.
    Double bad luck.:mad:

10. df1603

df1603

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    very interesting, when boxing the receiver for service today I found that I had in fact mains surge protection installed for both plasma and receiver.....:suicide:

So, was it surge or something else? Could it have been faulty receiver shorting high voltage to the video out burning plasma and then just collapsing on its own?