Just set up new Pioneer 506xde...

wiknerhacker

Standard Member
Hopefully, this post will help out other less than techically-minded people (or serial non-user manual readers) on the forum into getting the best out of their Pioneer 436/506 plasma set-up, as i feel that i may not be at the moment.

I've set the TV up on the stand and plugged in i believe all the relevant bits and pieces/aerials etc. Did the auto channel install which i presume has left me with 'analogue' versions on ch1,2,3,4 & 5?? (crummy reception IMO). haven't had a chance to look into the digital tuner/freeview or EPG yet.

sky (5-yr old panasonic box that'll be upgraded to sky+ tuesday) on input1. Connected via a QED p2105 cable in rgb. My 4-yr old but good in it's day Toshiba SD-330e dvd player is also connected via a QED p2105 cable in rgb. Contrast knocked down to 20, brightness 0, standard mode on, so it's not on dynamic...

First impressions:

a) the picture isn't quite as sharp as i thought it would be either on sky or dvd watching star wars silver trilogy edition.

b) the sound from the speakers is excellent

c) the panel looks brilliant

d) from 15" the picture looks good

e) vcr quality on it is pretty poor - but then you knew this anyway.

am i missing a trick here or does the above sound like as good as it will get? am not unhappy with it, just looking to optimise the setup without ISF'ing to make the £3k+ easier to justify. In short, i haven't been blown away by it but perhaps this has more to do with unrealistic expectations.

rubberducker

what your missing is any high quality inputs. your screen is built with HD and the future in mind, not the old tech of scart and alike. you want your dvd player to be connected via componant at the very least, if you have spent this much on a plasma.

go and buy an xbox 360 to see why your screen got such good reviews.

wiknerhacker

Standard Member
Thanks...

So you're saying that if i connected my DVD player by component video, rather than by all accounts a v good rgb scart, it would definitely make the picture better. At the start of the stars wars - empire strikes back dvd for example, the yellow 'play' bit looks quite jaggedy. am a tad disappointed as i thought dvd quality would blow me away.

doesn't help (and i found this out yesterday) that SW was filmed in 2.35:1 which means it doesn't fill the whole screen - and made me tempted to zoom in also.

any suggestions for improving PQ on football/optimising setup?

the picture on freeview is very very good so shows that it can look great.

does sky+ give a better PQ than an old panny sky box?

cheers, wiknerhacker...

rubberducker

componant is leaps and bound better than RGB in my experience.

images and colours will suddenly come into to focus.

kamaran

wiknerhacker said:
any suggestions for improving PQ on football/optimising setup?

the picture on freeview is very very good so shows that it can look great.

Turn off/low all image processing - PureCinema, Noise Reduction etc.

You will see the picture becomes sharper as long as you are using high quality sources.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom