Just set up my new PWD6 with TiVo and I hate the scart

TeresaTT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, you're all saying "We told you so!", but I had to see it for myself.

I finally got my scart on Saturday and so was able to connect my TiVo to the PWD6 for the first time. My TiVo is outputting RGB from my Telewest digital cable box which is also outputting RGB. I had done all the picture quality hacks on the TiVo and the picture looked great on my Loewe Xelos 32" CRT. When I first saw the TiVo picture on the PWD6, the immediate impression was that it had gone out of focus. The picture is definitely softer, but also very noticable is that the colours are washed out and muddy. Most scenes are brownish and some are yellowish or greenish. It seems to be lacking in red.

I am quite dissapointed with the scart. The main reason I went with the scart was the auto aspect ratio switching. This seems to work quite well, except that if I put the PWD6 into standby while its auto mode is in 16:9, when I turn it back on again, the Auto setting is lost and its in non auto 16:9 mode. I have to put back into Auto again. If I do the same with 4:3 mode, its still in Auto after powering up. This is annoying but can be rectified with a suitable macro in my Pronto.

However, I have discrete codes on my Pronto for each of the aspect ratios and so can change to a specific aspect with a single button press. This means that I will probably not miss the auto switching as much as I thought. Therefore I'm now seriously considering the JS RGB to VGA converter. I know that most people here use one and are very happy with it. What I need to know is whether it will improve the muddy colours that I'm getting through the scart. I had lovely colours on my CRT, so I know my TiVo is sending a good picture.

Will the JS RGB to VGA converter give me better colour than the scart?

Now, if I use my VGA slot for the converter, I won't be able to easily connect my laptop. I won't be doing it often, and buying an extra VGA board is a lot to pay for occasional PC use.

Will these boards be available for some time, or will they be discontinued and I'll have to add that as an extra immediate cost?

I love the PWD6, it looks great on my Stands Unique AV stand. I get a great progressive scan DVD picture from my HK DVD25 through component via my brand new Denon 3805 and my son loves playing his XBox on it. If I can get a better TiVo picture, I'll be ecstatic.

I'm sure the RGB to VGA will smarten up your picture considerably, (now there's that word) but there are PQ issues with Tivo, shame. Is the picture OK with the cable STB alone? How is it on passthrough? Are you using a good scart cable, you'll still need one for the converter. I'd do some investigating 1st.

Thanks for the reply MAW. I haven't tried the cable box directly, but using AUX Bypass on the TiVo shows almost identical pictures between TiVo and the cable source. The scart I am using is a fairly good one I think, Tech+Link Scartflex. I used it to connect my DVD player to my CRT and got a pretty good picture through it. So it's not the cable.

My TiVo is now running at Mode 0 which is a resolution of 720 x 576 and I've increased the bit rate to 9000000. Also I'm not using variable bit rate. I've also applied the modified fpga7114.o to correct the mode 0 horizontal shift and used the iicset command to reduce the garishness of the picture. The picture is pretty much as good as it's going to get from TiVo.

Has anyone with an RGB to VGA converter noticed an improvement with the colours?

Ok, now I'm worried.

Is the RGB SCART input on the Viera any better than the terminal boards used by the PWx displays, or am I likely to have similar issues with TiVo?

Andy.

Just got my pwd6 with the js box
I think my tivo looks great quality is different for everybody
I thought I would have to hack my tivo and record at best quality
But I`m happy with the quality (from 10 feet)
I will still be recording at high quality

Just dont try to compare it after watching a dvd :thumbsup:

Just so, mate. It depends what you are used to, and what your definition of 'terrible' is! Most of my clients are so blown away by the big flat thing they'd not notice if I connected everything with composite! And I've met installers who do just that. Scart RGB is just fine till you start to pick holes, but at least with a PW6 there are endless hours of fun in the pursuit of excellence.

TeresaTT

Dr John of JS Technology fame is a big TiVo fan so you can be assured his RGB Converters do a great job with a TiVo recorder.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get the JS RGB converter next month and I won't bother with an extra VGA board as I will only connect my laptop up now and then.

In the meantime, we're getting more used to the scart picture. Some programmes look a lot better than others and overall the PQ is better than what I see on most people's TV's at home. But I know I can do better, so I will have to get the converter.

By the way, it's amazing how quickly the screen shrinks. First it looked huge, but now it looks normal. Mind you, my old 32" looks quite small now.

I've just hooked up my shiny new JS Tech RGB to VGA converter and I'm impressed. The biggest difference I noticed first was that the blue and white TiVo menus looked so much better. With the scart they looked very harsh and the colour was not right. With the converter, they look much more like I remembered them on my CRT. Overall the picture looks better with less noise and better colour. I just hope my husband sees enough difference to justify the £125 of his money that I spent.

I've lost auto widescreen switching, but that isn't such a problem as I have a button on my Pronto for each of the different aspect ratios. I don't have to toggle through all the different modes until I get the one I want. Besides, the Auto setting on the scart didn't stick if I switched the plasma off when it was auto changed to 16:9. I'd always have to put it back in auto when I switched on.

Teresa - you may be interested Andrew_B's plasma aspect ratio controller...

Yes I am, but it's another £100.

LOL!! That is true. It its an expensive luxury item for those of us too lazy to press the aspect button!!!

I bought a 5m S-Video (Cambridge Audio) cable from Richer Sounds, that goes to a £30 pound "Source Selector" box from Maplin where I take S-Video from Sky+, DVD and Playstation2.

I am very pleased with the picture quality so far going this "cheaper" route :)

Can always go the J/S VGA route when I've saved more money up! ;)

Fedorov.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom