Just set up H/K AVR340. WOW!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by deksawyer, Mar 24, 2006.

1. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I previously had a Yamaha DSP-AX430RDS receiver which was getting on a bit, but sounded pretty good when playing movies, but 2ch stereo was appalling.

I was going to buy either a Yam 757SE or a Pioneer 1015. The problem with both was the depth of the cases.

Looking around I noticed that the H/K receivers were fairly shallow and would fit nicely into my TV cabinet. I didn't want the basic model, even though it was similarly priced to the 2 receivers I had in mind.

I spotted the AVR340 on ebay and got it for £450, brand new.

It arrived yesterday and I hurriedly tried to set it up. Nothing would work. I tried mapping the sources with the required inputs and the only thing I could get working was the analogue feed from my cable box. My Sony DVD rec. or my MCE PC wouldn't output any sound.

I was getting a bit p*ssed of by this time and the missus was telling me to leave it and have a fresh start tomorrow. I had a few pints in te pub, came back and managed to figure it out. Viola! Success.

Now to get the auto set up/eq working, as I was having problems with that as well. I eventually got it set up today and it blew me away!!

I played the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan and it was astounding. I always knew my speakers were capable of so much more and the H/K has finally released their potential.

Playing a DTS version of Dark Side of the Moon revealed a new depth to the surround experience. Wonderful!!

Finally 2ch music was also superb, with the double bass in Tom Waits Mule Variations having just the right amount of weight & fluidity.....I'm well chuffed.

Main spk: Kef Q6
    Centre: Kef Q90C
    Rear: Kef 60S
    Sub: REL Quake

I thoroughly recommend the H/K as a great surround amp and as a very competent 2ch performer.

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I meant to add - is it normal for these amps to smell when turned on?

I'm getting a whiff of that hot electrical component smell........even the misss noticed it.

D.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    My Denon generated that 'hot electronics' smell for a while when new. I made sure ventillation was good and checked for excessive heat but was never too worried. After a couple of weeks the smell wasn't noticeable. If it stopped or I got used to it, who's to say?!

The HK amps are famed for their 'honest' amplification. While not hugely popular in the UK (is it their looks?) they have quite a following elsewhere. Enjoy your purchase!:)

4. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi

Unfortunately, the amp is now not outputing any sound from the digital inputs.

I've tried 2 different dvd players, using coax and optical, as well as my MCE pc and none of them are working. All analogue inputs are functioning OK and all inputs are properly configured for the correct source.

It looks like the amp can't detect what type of signal to select as both dts & dolby are not auto selected.

Bummer.

I guess I'm going to be returning it. :thumbsdow

D.

5. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    How there. I had a similar problem when I first got my AVR430.

From memory I it used to switch to analgue input if I turned the DVD on before the receiver, or something along those lines. Which, until I figured out that was what was happening, made it appear my digital inputs were not working.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but have you set everything up via on the on screen menu correctly, assigned correct inputs to correct machine etc.

Suggest you play a DVD, and have a fiddle with the options. There is something specific you can do, and I cannot for the life of me remember what, but will check.

Oh, you could give H/K a ring. They can be quite helpful.

6. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yeah, the problem you had I think was related to the auto polling feature, which would enable the input to switch between analogue/digital depending on the incoming signal.

I'm just about to phone HK and I'll report back with the findings.

Many thanks

D.

7. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Waste of a phone call that was............:thumbsdow

D.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    im confused!

are u trying to run 2 different audios from say ur dvd (digi and analogue or digi coax and toslink) to the amp then wanting it to switch the sig auto?

or the toslink/digi coax simply aint working?

also i know mine defo selects dolby or dts ato depending on what iv selected on dvd.

send it back to hk if faulty theyl prob replace it for ya

9. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    You're confused? :D

No, I'm only using the coaxial from my DVD and the optical from my MCE PC. Both output no sound even though the HK is set up for the correct digital input and mapped to the correct input (ie DVD, Video 1 etc..).

My analogue cable feed is fine but I noticed on that, that I can't add Logic7 or any of the other DSP's. The sound just cuts out when I select this. This is with the EQ switched out. Can you do this on your 230?

The dealer I bought it from is arranging a courier to pick it up with a replacement due to be sent back to me shortly after.

D.

10. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    ok so u have dvd selected and coax1 or whatever number ur coax is so screen says something like

dvd/coax 1 ??

11. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Exactly. With auto-polling turned off, so it stays on the assigned input.

With it on or off, it will stay as selected, ie coax1, it recognises the type of digital stream, ie PCM 48KHZ for example, but it refuses to switch to DTS or DD when that type of material is played.

All with no sound output whatever type of bitstream is played and the L/R speaker icons flashing.

It's definitely not a set up issue because once I had it set up (after quite a struggle) I left it on standby overnight and the next day it wasn't working as I've described.

Never mind, when the replacement arives, I'll notice straight away if it's ok if the set up goes as it should have with this one.

D.

12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    hope next ones fine then.

when the speaker bits flash its because they are getting no signal btw, ie no signal at all
    infact its strange that just those 2 are flashing!
    if u were playing stereo then just those 2 would light up the others remain off.
    but no signal at all they should all flash.
    never mind new one on way ;)

13. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    just sold my AVR4500 and it did at one point fail to decode a digital signal properly- from my Xbox digital link up box- the speaker indicators were flashing and i tried all 7 digital inputs. But i think its the box as my dvd player was working fine.

Anyway, they're great recievers. I don't think i'll find a non- HK that sounds as good.

14. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    A replacement is on it's way; should be here mon/tue.

I can't fault the company I bought it from, they even picked up the tab for return & replacement shipping.

Plus the fact that it cost £450 instead of £699.

I'll report back when it arrives and what it's like.

D. :smashin:

15. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    good on em