1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen: Titan A.E. (R3)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Though I had no intention of purchasing this movie I could not resist when I say it for NT$400 in Taipei last week and bought it after my friend translated the Chinese label for me and confirmed it comes with DD5.1 in English.
    As mentioned in some other post I found that the label could actually be removed and gave way to the English cover, confirming that this was an original Fox R3 DVD, in fact it's an identical copy of the R1 release with just the region code changed.

Anyhow, the mix between traditional cartoon and CGI gives a breathtaking, nearly 3-D like picture and the soundtrack rocks though is missing something, I can't tell what but it could be better.
    The movie itself is probably more suitable for grown-up kids then children or adults, the animal characters don't really fit in - IMHO that is - though the aliens are quite unique and well "engineered".

For a perfect demo check out the ice crystal scene, chapter 11 I think. This is what AV and surround sound is all about!

As the DVD appears to be euqal to the R1 release it comes with a few extras though I didn't bother to look at those.

Out of 5:

Movie: * * *
    Picture: * * * * 1/2
    Sound: * * * 1/2
    Extras: * * *

2. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it DTS like the region 1 version??

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    This film is underrated in my opinion. The DTS soundtracks rocks to the extent that a clip from the ice field was used on the DTS demo DVD.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ups, I think I need to correct myself: it does not have any DTS track, obviously it has been dropped for the Cantonese and Thai 2.0 soundtrack and the content of the disc therefore differs somewhat from the R1 version (also does it have add. Asian subtitles).

In fact I did not know it was supposed to have a DTS track which I just confirmed from a R1 retailers site and found it missing in the disc menu.

My sincere apologizes for jumping into the above (wrong) conclusion ...

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104

This scene was included on a recent DTS Demo disc some members of this forum were fortunate to receive not long ago.

I still have it and indeed it rocks!