1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen - The transporter

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Shoka, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Just been to see the above, and I can say I was impressed.

The film is very much like Romeo must die IMO.

Jasan Statham was really good and pulled the role off well, there is a lot of martial arts in tghe film and he must have done a lot of training to look that good at it.

The story is pretty easy to get on with he transports packages but has his own set of rules, no. 1 dont look in the package.

So what does he do?

So the of inevitable tons of guns and car chases come into play. It has its moments of comedy, but still manages to pack in loads of action.

The film does have some major plot holes that leave you wondering what happened, but is one of those action films that you cansit back and enjoy it for what it is....... An action film.

In my opinion it is very like xXx but seems to be a bit more realistic. The soundtrack was a nice mix of hard dance tunes and a few hip hop beats thrown in. the only thing that let it (the soundtrack) down was the love scene, went from hard, to mushy crap.

Altogether a V. enjoyable film. **** out of 5

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The trailers do look fun. Very gung ho. Nice.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well i think i will go and see it on wednesday, I saw Chicago and 8 mile over the weekend and I'll have wait too see it, did you think it was as good/bad as xXx?

4. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thought it was on the same par as xXx, very sinilart type of film, turn of and enjoy.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    yep, looks pretty good this...think i'll try and see it this weekend...

6. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I liked the look of this when i saw the preview trailers, but all the reports of it being pants put me off a fair bit, good to hear that its not all bad. May well go see it soon

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the review Shoka. I had kind of decided to wait for this on rental DVD but might go along to the cinema and see it now, especially if it has the hard dance soundtrack you mention :)

I also read there's a really nicely done fight scene, carried out in a pool of slippery oil, which is meant to be worth the price of admission.

8. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes i saw a clip of that scene at it looked very good. Shame it was Jason and not Kelly Brook in the oil though.

9. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I saw "The Transporter" on Sunday afternoon, and thought it was fun, but nothing to write home about.

Some of the fight scenes are fun - The bit where Jason Statham's character takes on an entire house full of bad guys after they've reneged on a deal is head-thumpingly, bone-crunchingly intense - but the oil-slick fight in the bus garage is unintentionally hilarious, not to say bewilderingly homoerotic. I have to suspect that this wasn't the intent of the director ;) .

The car chases are pretty cool, though, and Jason Statham is a lot of fun as the hero with a very wavery accent - He has the same kind of cheesy cool about him that Arnie used to have, back in his late 80's/early 90's heyday.

I cautiously recommend this movie if you want to have a no-brainer time at the flicks, but I think it would work even better on DVD, with a couple of tins and your takeaway of choice by your side.

I just wish that Luc Besson would get back to directing his own stuff and not spend all of his time producing cheerfully dumb stuff like this...

10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    According to the credits he wrote it as well

11. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Errr Luc Besson didnt direct it Cory Yuen did.

Good news the dvd just been confirmed details from dvdfile
    Just in from Fox Home Entertainment are two new action extravaganzas hitting DVD on April 15th. From producer Luc Besson comes The Transporter, which is loaded with plenty of extras. This double-sided DVD-14 features a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen version of the film on side one plus an audio commentary by director Corey Yuen and 15 minutes of an unrated, never-before-seen extended action scene. Side two features the full frame version of the film, the commentary, a making-of featurette, and the trailer. Both sides feature English 5.1 and French and Spanish 2.0 Dolby surround tracks. Retail is $27.95.

Wonder what the Unrated extra action scene is - Hopefully its with Shu Qi ;)

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD arrived today. I can confirm it is NOT a DVD-14 as expected but a DVD-10 (single-layer both sides), but both pic and sound quality are excellent.

Unrated action scenes are nothing to write home about unfortunately.

That was rule No. 3 ;)

I thought the film was great fun. It lost its oomph a bit towards the end but was otherwise very enjoyable indeed. It's definitely a decent action movie, with a few good comedy moments as well. The car chase at the start is damn fine stuff :smashin:

13. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
  14. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The features for the R2 have probably not been confirmed yet, thats why they have them as only interactive menus and scene selection.

Rest assured Im sure it will have near enough the same features.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably be dual-layer too as chances are it won't have the damn 4:3 transfer on there as well.