Just seen: The Sum of all Fears

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Based on a novel by Tom Clancy this movie stars Ben Affleck as the young Dr. James Ryan who most of you will know from the excellent "Patriot Games" and "Clear and Present Danger" movies with Harrison Ford.
    However it is not to be seen as a prequel but rather an independent movie incidentially featuring the same character as it plays in the present time.
    And by that tackles a very present and most fearsome threat: terrorists get hold of a nuclear weapon.

The pace at the beginning is very slow but then picks up and things start to happen really fast. However one of the key scenes, which would also have made a good demo scene, is over faster than you can say "Oh ****!". (Can't say more without spoiling it but when you see the movie you know why I say that.)
    Not sure if it was intention (I guess it actually was due to the 911 incident) but you will be pleased with some great use of music (and it's loud, too) in a few other scenes which should give your AV system a good workout - I did miss some LFE here though.

Anyhow, when things picked up I was thinking "Wow, that's going to be a GREAT movie!" but unfortunately it ended faster than it started and somewhat dissapointing. The end came quick and swift, going to an ending scene which better fits into a movie of the category "Romance" or "Love Story". A real shame actually.

Oh well, at least it's not one of those SFX ladden movies we have to endure nowadays and the acting by Morgan Freeman and Benny boy is good, with some jokes thrown in ocassionally.

So in the end not a great but still good movie with a lacklustre ending costing it one star in my rating system:

* * * * out of 5

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hmm, not seen them, only the crappy ones!