1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen the PV500 up and working

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dapex, Jun 8, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, I managed to find a shop in Nottingham that had the 42" PV500 up and working. They first showed me a dvd which to be honest was OK but certanly didn't blow my socks off (DMREH50 fed via component) then they plugged in the ariel for normal freeview stuff and it was better than I expected. Not to sure if I like the look of the set at present, as i will be wall mounting mine and the silver at the bottom is annoying. I did see a Pioneer 435XDE which was lovely to look at, but i was shocked at how poor the freeview picture was eve though it was using the same ariel as the PV500 (they just unplugged it from the PV500 and put it into the pioneer media box). That put me off the pioneer because most of my tv is normal use though my sky+ box.

Didn't get to see HD on the PV500 but i did see it on the Pio and it was AMAZiING....

2. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Which shop has it on display in Notts? Is it John Lewis in the Victoria Centre? Went there last week and was told they would be getting one on display but couldnt tell me when.
    Tried Sevenoaks too in Sherwood but they only had the Pioneer and a Sharpe on display. Richer sounds had Hitachi 5200 and a couple of LG's.
    Is there one place in the Notts area that shows all the most up to date sets? :confused: I am getting fed up of travelling all over the city to view individual screens. Sorry... rant over

3. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Daz,
    Comet in the castle meadow retail park (thing its comet, the big shop, not the smaller one) has a 42"PV500 on display with a really picture, and I saw it in Castle Sound and Vision on Maid Marion way (very expensive).

Cheers

4. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    it really isn't the best pq in a shop if they are using rf. I have the Pio with a good aerial and my sky+ has almost full bars for signal strength and the pq is top quality on both. Still waiting for my dvd player, you really need to see both with good feeds to get the best out of them.

5. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They have it at Miller Bros in Netherfield also. I nearly went to Castle Sound and Vision, but they are expensive and don't throw in a free DVD recorder either.

6. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How much is it at Millers Bros in netherfield???

Cheers

7. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Dapex. Currys is the bigger shop at the retail park. Have tried to avoid those shops but if they have the beauties on display, i may take a trip out tomorrow. Cheers mate.

8. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Way too much. 1p short of 3 grand for a 42", without a free dvd recorder.

Don't touch Currys or Comet if you have any sense.

Just ring Leicester shop@panasonic, they were great with me, free DVD recorder thrown in and delivered and installed for £40, and the installers were here at 9.30am and had already put the cabinet together beforehand.

9. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Dapex,perhaps I'm wrong,but I have yet to see a 435XDE in either Comet or Currys.I have seen very poorly performing FDE's in both and I was shocked at how bad they looked.Are you sure you were watching digital on an XDE and not analogue on an FDE?
    Regards
    Ian

10. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Drd, sorry, I meant that the Pioneer was in castle sound and vision, not in comet

11. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made a 70 mile round trip to see my first PV500 yesterday in Shop@Panasonic in Blackburn, they had just got the TH37PV500CAB set up a few days ago. I've been seriously looking for a flat panel to replace my trusty top of the range Sony CRT for about a year now. I'd originally set my heart on an LCD, due to their higher resolution and compatibility as a monitor for my laptop, but my main viewing would be Freeview, and without exception every LCD I've seen looks atrocious using this as a source :rolleyes:. Reasonable sized plasmas have always been too low resolution for my liking until now, although every time I've seen a Viera, I've been blown away by the quality of the pictures.

The PV500 in Blackburn looked good with a Freeview signal, as have most Vieras I've seen, but I have to admit I thought the output from a normal DVD looked distinctly mediocre. But when the salesman switched to the Japanese supplied Hi-Def demo, I was absolutely blown away by the sharpness and clarity of the picture :D. A thing I hadn't really thought about was the sound, but again that astounded me with its clarity and depth :).

It looks like all my patience has been worthwhile, and far from an LCD that I'd originally thought I would end up with, a PV500 whether it be 37" or 42" looks like it'll definitley be the one for me after all this time :smashin:.

The only thing I didn't like, and it's only a niggle, is the silver trim around the SD card slot, as this detracts from an otherwise neat front panel. The addition of the SD card slot seems a bit gimicky to me, and I can't really see it being much use.

12. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I cant believe how much better the DVD playback was after changing to some decent component leads, also Sky is very good after updating my scarts. Tried my friends samsung HDMI connection dvd player and it blew my Panny e95 away. All I want now is a HDMI dvd player that can also play DIVX and I will be more than happy.

13. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    I also went to see it in Blackburn a couple of weeks ago, he has just set it up and the DVD player wasn't even commected. I did get a demo of the DVD player but he just connected a cheap SCART, where as the HD you saw was going through component.
    I will be getting mine delivered next week and I will be using a good DVD and high quality component leads, I will let you know how it looks.

14. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping to get a DVD/HDD recorder at the same time, but it seems that there are none available that have scalers built in. It looks like I'll have to buy something like a Panasonic S97 player with scaler, and then a separate DVD recorder :rolleyes:. Seems a bit of overkill, but that's the only option at the moment.

15. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might have explained why the DVD output looked average, although he used an old 1950's western as a demo for some reason! It will be interesting to hear what a more modern film looks like, played though decent leads. I was also contemplating getting a DVD player such as the Panasonic S97, that includes a scaler, so I can get the best out of my existing DVD collection on the HD screen :).

16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i went for another look today and im happy with the pic through hdmi but normal dvd`s through component isnt great imho.im going to take a nice collection of films upto tommorow,some like superbit fifth element,easy money (old rodney dangerfield movie) and england vs germany (the big win) dvd for a bit of range.

i will be using RGB scart and component to view my selection of films as these are the connection options i have and will be using so no point just yet watching stuff through HDMI.the film they had on was die another day btw and like i said while played through HDMI it was fine but a quick switch to component left me feeling dissapointed.im not going to buy a hdmi dvd player just to keep a NEW £2100 plasma happy i know that lol.

17. Harry1265

Harry1265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you who live in Essex, near Southend, Currys Suuperstore in Southend as a 42" model on display, price £2499.00

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    JL WGC had the PV500 hooked up to a PC via a DVI>HDMI converter and playing HD material. Good set up really.

But the picture via Freeview left me seriously underwhelmed. In fact the analogue tuner looked far better for a lot of channels. Surprising as it may sound for a major store, their terrestrial reception was fantastic.

I'm not sure at the moment actually that the PV500 handles broadcast SD material all that well. Considering all the praise it was getting here by new owners I was a bit dissappointed by what I saw :cool:

Best way to describe it was a very processed look to telly images, bit like early renditions of 100hz CRT sets, when they weren't very good at it.

19. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice to hear some different views on the screen based on actually seeing the thing.

SD DVD playback via component nothing special but fine
    Freeview poor. PW7 fed via scart far better freeview pic and comparable SD DVD

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes I would actually be inclined to say dependent on viewing if you want the all round better quality picture that the PE50 is the better option for Freeview. If you want the benefit of HDMI compatibility etc in the long run then the PV500. But I would not say that the PV500 was hands down the better option.

I think after the initial interest has settled, views may settle down as well. On viewing that set up the PV500 looked very similar to the Pioneer 435 which they had next to it. Not much between them TBH.

21. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Take it you dont rate the PV500 then ??????? but then demos in big stores would really let you see the sets at the best possible methods of viewing.

Hmmm

22. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Sorry greyhorse but it's kind of obvious that you're taken by your new purchase but lets try to put some perspective on it please :)

I was actually invited to a Diga & Viera presentation earlier this year where they had these on display. Yes it's good but even there it was being outdone by the PE50 on Freeview right next to it. I spoke at length with the Panny Team there and they agreed.

The set up in JL was actually quite good for a dept store, I mean running a PC into it to get the best out of the res is not what your likely to get or expect everywhere that easily.

Seeing it in different environments always helps as well. Whilst as a screen it is still very good I personally don't feel the Terrestrial aspect of it is brilliant. It's easy to get caught up in the HDMI future proofing scenario. However this Viera is designed as a complete telly, that caters for a number of formats, the terrestrial aspect of it which I feel is a slight weak point.

It's not case of rating or not. It is of course a good screen but I would be using it a lot for freeview and terrestrial and SD DVD for a good while yet and it has to be good at those aspects as well. I am not prepared to watch WMHD clips running from a PC to keep myself happy forever.

23. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

All I can say on that is our eyes are not the same. I watched the PV500 and PE50 and Pioneer and I thought the PV500 was better for detail and PQ on Freeview. Also I watched the picture on HD sat and the PV500 blew them out of the water.

I have now cancelled my sky as the free view picture is better on my PV500.

Just my eyes and my ears.

So no offence intended. :hiya:

24. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    No offence taken I know exactly how good a Viera is and this would be my 2nd Plasma purchase ;)

I would also suggest a demo to people rather than just go on current hear say. Or maybe even hold out for the HD8 panel if you want to get the very best out of it.

25. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    when i was demoing the pv500 again today i asked the salesman if he had heard anything of a hd panel nly version of the pv500 and he said the panasonice rep say`s there isnt one to his knowledge and hasnt heard anything on the shop floor so to speak ?

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Talk of Aug/Sept likely release dates for panel.

27. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I think that rather than before and supplying the black via commercial and silver via retail, they may only supply both black and silver via commercial, meaning that the retail shops will not easily be able to get hold of them and will not be kept in the loop as regards release dates and prices etc..