1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen the new LG 50px4D

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dave H, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Saw it in currys today showing the usual HD material, and it looked stunning.
    it comes with built in Freeview and SRS surround mode all for £2999 :thumbsup:
    has anyone seen this screen, and are LG a good make or should I save up for the Pannasonic ?

Dave.

2. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use your own eyes, :lease: a fair preportion of the population have poor eyesight and dicky colour perception.

I have an LG and very happy. :smashin:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Try a search for LG on this forum, it will give you an indication of whether you can say they are a good make or not. As for saving up for a Panasonic, you are already in Panasonic display territory there.

4. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a 37" one in Currys in Kendal showing HD material and it looked pretty good to me, and I have got a PV500.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sure, Mal. The question reads:-
    Which to my mind is a actually a separate question to 'how does it look with a top class signal'. Even the poxiest display looks good with HD, and the pQ on modern LGs is not poxy. I wish I could be so positive about LG UK.

6. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi I have never seen the Panasonic with a HD signal but it looks good with the built in Freeview on most channels.
    I was saying for the price the new LG 50PX4D looks a good deal. I know its not as stylish as the HD Panasonic but at a grand less it might be worth the risk.

Dave.

PS they also had the 60 inch version which was not quite as good but the size of it was unbeliveable.

7. daatkins

daatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me tell you a story.

A friend of mine used to have an LG 28" CRT. It failed quite spectacularly with a bang and smoke coming out the back one year and two days after she bought it. Those additional two days out of warrenty were all it took to LG to wash their hands of it completely...

8. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what suprised me, I was walking past and I noticed it, the colours looked good and it looked sharp.
    I didn't have a really good look at it but compared to all the other screens in Currys/Dixons that are set up, this one looked far superior and if I was a 'normal' buyer I would have gone for that one over all the rest.

9. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    If you see more plasma TV side by side with good signal then you can believe only your eyes. My local shop has a big wall with almost every plasma at the moment and they display the whole day Euro 1080-the HD compatible looks very good, but the true HD even better, But the PV 500 is a bit soft and with lack of definition compared to Pioneer and LG and JVC next to him.(At least for my eyes.-the HD LG looks very sharp and vivid.). Off course it could be setting etc…

10. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest LG's models are considerably better in PQ, connections, and functionability than the older models, and innovation wise are way ahead of some other Brands. :lesson:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Colin, as I've said before, the biggest issue with LG is not the functionality of a fully working product (in UK at any rate) but the problem of above average breakdown rate and a customer service dept who have acquired themselves a very dubious history.

12. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was told LG make panels for sony...

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They buy them from whoever's cheapest!

14. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why is your glass always half empty, Mr Maw. :(

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Especially where Phony is concerned! LG are 'good value' ie cheaper than many. Sony use the same bits and are expensive. That, surely, is a no brainer, a decision you already made.

16. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give it away, Mr Maw, it's boring. :boring:

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What is it with you, Colin? Even when I make a favourable comment you are obstructive. You and your LG are the boring ones.

18. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:boring:

19. McRod

McRod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just wanted to add that i also looked at the LG 50PX4D today in Curry`s in East Kilbride.

I asked the saleperson if i could have a demo and he explained he`d go and get someone who`s better qualified. Within a minute a second salesperson was with me and he really couldn`t have been more helpful.

It was running the HD demo from a demo box hard disk drive and it was simply stunning looking. I wanted to see how an ordinary dvd player would look on it and the guy duly obliged and started disconnecting and rewiring with basic dvd players etc.

He was unable to cable it into their SKY digital set-up due to it being too far away but he set it up using what he termed as "the worst case scenario" whereby he opened a £4.95 scart lead, plugged in a £35.00 dvd player and played the dvd movie "Shakespeare in Love". (I half expected "Monsters Inc" to be trotted out but it wasn`t :) )

I was impressed.

Took him 5 mins to do this and i was very impressed with the results. Made me wonder just how good a quality HD DVD player with decent HD cable would look.

This panel certainly looks to be the real deal and the salesperson was great. Was quite amusing , and refreshing, to see him dismantle the display stands and plug in leads and cables etc. It`s the way it should be tho.

This is definately on my very short list for a 50" HD Plasma. (and i`ve seen a fair few now). Value for money, it was outstanding.

Concerned a little bit about the after sales service tho, so an extended warranty might be well worth considering also.

Rod

20. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I don't think they break more then other brands-the forum is full with people having Panny and Pio with dead pixels, buzz etc. The LG PX11 was the one that had 12% or more breakdown, but from what I am reading since May this year very little problems with LG at the moment