Just seen @ the cinema: Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To make it short: it was in a way entertaining but only if you are really bored and leave your brain outside, there were so many contradictions and open questions that I actually wonder if I should not have taken my brain with me!?
    Neither the special effects nor stunts were new or impressive, plain ol' boring stuff we have seen before (too often perhaps) and the soundtrack wasn't that good either though I actually had a "preferred position" in terms of my seating (towards the back in the middle of the row).

Nothing I would recommend or need to talk about any further.

Note that this represents only my very personal opinion of the movie, others have the right to judge otherwise ...

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    It seems we've reached that "Summer Blockbuster" time of the year again.

Am I getting old or do they not make 'em like they used to? I think the last Summer movie to blow me away was The Matrix, and since then everyone seems to be trying to do the same thing. Too much money and not enough ideas. :confused:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Exactly my thinking, nothing really new, either stupid remakes, more stupid sequels (Highlander #157) or more-or-less copies of other films.

Only found "Swordfish" highly entertaining though as well it copies somewhat from 'The Matrix' and Mr. Woo - will get it on DVD when it comes out.

Evolution wasn't too bad either, at least I had a good laugh. :)

Oh, my tip: 'The Crimson Rivers' starring Jean Reno

French made so a change from the standard Hollywood food, see as well my entry titled "Die purpurnen Fluesse" made some time ago ...

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,353
    Must say I enjoyed X-Men last year, but have not heard of anything really great coming up except maybe Planet of Apes? Little snippets look really good, but I know nothing of the script! If it's a rehash of the original film or the book Monkey Planet I will probably write it off.
    Oh Lord of the Rings looks good but is not a summer blockbuster?

Ruby quarts shades.

:cool:

5. projectionist2001

projectionist2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Editor HCC

Editor HCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JP3! Seen it. Loved it. Real dinosaurs this time around. Fantastic.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I took the kid's to see Shrek last weekend, a great family film with some laugh's and a good P**S take out of Disney.
    The best Computer animation Iv'e seen so far.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Just saw it (TombRaider). Loved it, great FX, those boobs almost look real!

Jeff

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :confused:

How sad. :D

Acutally looking forward to Final Fantasy, the trailer looks great now let's just hope that the movie doesn't disappoint.

10. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I went to see it on Saturday, and I thought it was OK (you definatley don't need your brain though), and at least I didn't go out for a fag halfway through like I did with Charlies Angels.

So if you want something fun to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon you could do worse.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ho by the way I've just got Tombrader on DVD
    yes you heard right DVD the downer is it as Chinees subs that cannot be turned off. But it is Dolby Digital (at lease that what the amp shows) it got to be an ARR DEE ARR ARR?
    but these boys are getting very good I've also picked up a number of so called Region ALL disks from the same stall. I suspect they're also pirates as they are for films like Castaway and The replacements I dont think the studios would make these Region free but I was fooled for a long time. Ho I also got a very good copy of Jurassic Park III on VHS

find them at Milton Keynes Sunday Market

[ 16-07-2001: Message edited by: Big Pasty ]

12. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cats and Dogs, Fanal Fantasy and AI look brilliant. You can find the trailers on www.imdb.com

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me What?

As for pirate films Im not making them and do not fully approve Im just pionting out that there seems to be a growing market in what must be Pirate DVD's.

or is Tomb raider out in Region 1 or somthing to be honest I havent checked.

I seem the remember reading China does not have Copywrite laws, So are they making Pirate DVD's?

14. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,304

Who is gonna tell him ? :)

Best film so far ? SHREK. It is so very very funny, not only best animated film AND best comedy but also one of my top five all time fave films. Do YOU know the muffin man ? :) LOL

Looking forward to Swordfish also and definatly Final Fantasy !

Saw Tomb Raider at the cinema in Paignton whilst on a short break. Thought the film was nothing special at all, even the action sequances were very UNimpressive, they seemed too fast and cut away too quickly. There was also NO story, even the games had a story :) however the cinema was great, they have a special screen ( well 4 of them ) call THE DIRECTORS screen, and no matter what the film rating you have to be over 18 to get in. They have great big comfy seats and you get to take you beer in with you, great, just like being at home :)

15. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Pirated DVDs (as VCDs) are very common in Asia, not because they don't have any copyright laws but because they are unable (or I dare to say rather not willing) to enfore them.

Prices in Malaysia (pirated / original):

VCD - MYR6 / MYR10-40
    DVD R0 - MYR18 / --
    DVD R3 - MYR60 / MYR128
    DVD R1 - MYR18 / MYR160 or more

Most piracy business is run by syndicates from HK (Hong Kong) which has 'outsourced' their business to safer places like e.g. Malaysia or the Philippines.
    From here copies are send everywhere in the world.
    It is said that one (VCD) plant can earn up to USD 1 mil. profit a month (initial investment USD 3 mil. for the machinery etc.) as the cost for producing each discs is pennies only.
    The factories are hidden and highly guarded and in some countries even government agencies (military for example) seem to be involved in that business. [May not apply to Malaysia.]