1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen @ the cinema: The Quiet American

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I went to see this movie without any expectations and knowledge of what I was into, though I did hear it had something to do with the Vietnam war.
    So here we go: Based on the novel by Graham Green Michael Caine portrays Thomas Fowler, a reporter and not a correspondent (that means he just reports facts without commenting it as he claims in the movie), working in South Vietnam during the 50's while the French are fighting there. Newcomer Do Thi Hai Yen plays his girlfriend Phuong, a young and beautiful dancer (and beautiful she is!) he saved from a brothel but can't marry because his wife in London won't allow him a divorce.
    One day he mets a young American called Alden Pyle who works for the medical corps. Fowler introduces his girlfriend to him and that's where the trouble starts: Pyle falls in love with the beauty and is supported by the girls sister who doesn't particular like the older and poor Fowler.
    Fowler then get's drawn into the war itself, nearly loosing his life in an ambush but he is saved by Pyle.
    Things start to get worst with a car bomb attack in the city and slowly Fowler suspects that Pyle is not who he pretends to be, always showing up where Fowler goes.

I won't tell anymore as else I would give away too much but I really did like this movie. Great acting by the 3 leading casts as far as I can judge and an interesting story.
    That said the movie might be a bit sensitive due to the current events and has actually been called anti-american after the pre-screenings in the US shortly after 911. It was then to be delayed for a year and IMHO has not been shown since in America.
    However I review this movie here purely from an entertainment point of view without any political relevance.

* * * * 1/2 out of 5

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    I was surprised by this one. I hadn't expected much, if anything, from it but I found it quite engrossing.
    I'm not sure Caine really deserved a nomination for best actor, he always just seems to be playing Michael Caine to me. Still, the story was nicely engaging, I thought it had a similar kind of feel as The Killing Fields and The Year Of Living Dangerously, although given the subject matter in all 3 cases that's hardly surprising.
    I'd watch it again.