1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen @ the cinema: Matrix Reloaded

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, May 20, 2003.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was quite looking forward to this one. I loved 'The Matrix', have the DVD and watched it many times - for enjoyment, not because I can't figure it out of course. Well, or both. ;)

Matrix Reloaded was quited hyped but unfortunately fails to deliver, in fact I left the cinema quite disappointed, thinking the story was really bad and served only to connect the different action sequences. Some of them were damnd good and impressive however, especially Neo fighting Agents Smith and Smith and Smith and ... and the long car chase. Pretty cool.
    Besides that I had the impression that I had seen most of the things, even technically there wasn't anything really new. Bullet-time was new and exiting when Matrix came out, now we have seen it many times (in other movies) and IMHO it's just 'boring' in a way, kind of like those John Woo slow-mos which were copied and repeated over and over.
    I won't get into more details here but if you don't want to see the film or you actually hate Matrix you can have a look at that other thread I will post. It will contain major spoilers though.

Besides that I thought the opening sequence was too long and one particular scene didn't suit the movie at all (was a bit cheesy if you ask me and similar to Blade) I also found that some of the CGI was a bit poor, like what we saw in SW E2 (the background / looks of Zion mainly).

The twins were pretty cool but other new characters were just irritating or annoying, made me wonder what purpose they actually served.

I left the cinema with a feeling that Matrix Revolutions has to be much better for Matrix Reloaded to find it's way into my DVD collection to complete the triology - but if Matrix Revolutions does not deliver it will be like Highlander: there can be only one.

Conclusion: only recommended for fans of The Matrix. Others should stay well clear of it.

* * * (3) out of 5

PS: In case you haven't read my review of X2 but in comparision I would say X2 was the better movie and a better sequel, too.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80122

2. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little harsh I think, after all it is just a Hollywood movie... Lets get the story out of the way, there is one, but it is thin and is not embellished by two hours of movie. However, as an action movie it is TOP CLASS. The many Smiths fight and the car chase are some of the best action sequences on film.

There is no wow factor like the first film, there is nothing ground breaking like T2, but it is rollicking good fun.

20 minutes of cuts wouldn't have hurt. Maybe they'll release the Studio Cut on special edition DVD!

7/10

3. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    saw it last night and left the pictures disapointed some fight scenes are cool others are just repeats of scenes from the matrix. i think they have made a mistake in doing the matrix in 3 parts, the first part is a classic nothing will ever compare to it but if the 3rd part is anything like reloaded they should of split parts 2 and 3 in half and just have one film. There is just to much boring stuff in it, my gf fell asleep in it lol.
    4 out of 5 for fight scenes
    2 out of 5 for film as a whole.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i was all chuffed since i managed to get a special invite to the premiere :D which included free beer and drinks and basically they seemed to give me anything i asked for..... and an aftershow party...... nicely done! :D

but the film was disappointing, i was looking at my watch on numerous occasions, wondering how long had gone and if we were going to cut to the point sometime soon! The action was good but as noted was much of the same, though to have neo hammering everyone was a nice change :D

I think depite the disappointment, it probably sets itself up well for revolutions, there were a few things in there i wouldnt want to leave niggling in a viewers mind al that time, but im sure that all will be explained....... but its definitely a matrix fans film, it would be a total waste of your time to see if you didnt like the original

ad

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I saw it last night 8:20, first showing at my local THX screen, I loved it, cant wait for the DVD!

6. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just saw it at my local multiplex and I have to say it is an amazing spectacle - the car chase, Neo/Smith confrontations, scenes in the mainframe etc are stunning. Bullet time has been so extensively used in the intervening 4 years that it looks almost old hat, but as it is used here it looks excellent.
    I agree that there are some extended periods of what critics love to call exposition (sub: waffle) - the meeting in the restaurant is extremely tiring to say the least - but these periods serve to lead up to the next set piece and lay groundwork for Revolutions.
    Of the new characters I liked Persephone and the Keymaker was cool little dude, and as for the regulars Smith is developing a nice line in sardonic humour. Wasn't sure about Anthony Zerbe as one of the Councillors though - ever since I saw him in The Living Daylights hamming it up as Sanchez's smuggling accomplice he has always seemed a little ridiculous to me!
    Overall I would say a solid 8 out of 10, with the promise of a massive climactic finish with Revolutions, and as stated above it will make a stunning DVD release.
    dr_m
    PS
    Don't forget to stay until the credits have rolled - there's a short preview of Revolutions.

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,886
    I couldn't get out fast enough. If they think I'm paying more moeny to see Revolutions they can think again.

I have one word to say about this film : TRIPE

8. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...gotta be happy about the Ducati though...

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,886
    Well yeah. It was the films one saving grace :)

10. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What the destroying of it :laugh:
    and a good old yam r1 would easy out run them cars :D

11. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was disappointed too: both the Smith fight and the car chase went on for so long that I got bored in the middle of them! The twins served no purpose, the plot was all crammed into the last 15 minutes, and what was Colonel Sanders doing in it! Was it a parody of battery chickens/battery humans??

I won't bother with the third film. I prefer sci-fi to have a bit more sci in it.

Seemed like a vehicle for special effects, rather than a good story.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the twins were rather wasted......... there was so much could have been done with them and wasnt

ad

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    There was too much Kung Fu. The ideas are great though. For me the themes of the story and the idea's were more interesting than the 15 minute long boring car chase.

Lots of questions tha need answered and the final installment will hopefully provide them. I'll be going to see it.

G

14. crooked fingers

crooked fingers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't believe how "uncool" some of the stuff was. Everything about the first one was new and exciting and in the second one we had a ten minute rave scene from Fragel Rock except the music wasn't as good ("let the music play, de, de ...."). I agree that there's a good story buried beneath the rubbish dialog and I thought the action was stunning but it wasn't a patch on the first one.

15. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Hi,

Yeah i was kinda dissapointed too, but like the film film with every viewing, it grows on you. I think the first time round, theres too much hype and your are looking at the new characters, etc and not 100% focus on the story.

The thing i found was weird, with the freeway sequence was that the keymaker seems to take to being on top of a truck with assasions (spelt wrong), chasing him and with loads of car crashes, he took to it like a duck to water!.

They tried to be a little hip with this movie like with the dancing, and what was with all the kissing and movemaking, very james-bondy style.

Oh, well there are only films, and they entertain. Sequels very rarely stand up to their originals, as the magic of the fx and the characters is gone.

Good job i watched shaolin soccer a day after, now thats a film!!!.

rai

16. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SPOILER
    SPOILE
    SPOIL
    SPOI
    SPO
    SP
    S
    SP
    SPO
    SPOI
    SPOIL
    SPOILE
    SPOILER

Wasn't the Keymaker one of the sentient programs so would not have no fear of dying?

end spoiler.