1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Seen : Star Trek Nemesis

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Jan 4, 2003.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hmmm. I think I liked it! :)

Loads more action than Insurrection (yawn) and generally a darker feel throughout. A little slow early on as they explain everything but picks up nicely. Shin Zon hams it up a bit and Picard's voice seems to wander from accent to accent, but generally all acquit themselves pretty well. Great space battle scene too. If there are to be any more ST movies then this darker, heaver feel is definitely the way to go.

Has to be said though that they are starting to really show their age now... Troi really suffers on thrity foot high screen let me tell you.

Good visuals (no noticeable crap CGI) and massive DD soundtrack so should be a classic demo DVD in due time; bass really punishing and continuous throughout so should rock the subwoofer.

Overall 7/10. Could have been better but still far beyond Insurrection IMO. Some interesting cameos by known actors underneath Romulan makeup - and I think I spotted Bryan Singer in one scene as a bridge officer!!

Just my two'penneth of course.

dr_m

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Went to see it on thursday night and not bad, would have been better if the cinema had a sound system not made by chad valley the projector wasn't on a bungee cord from the ceiling and there was a country wide ban D***heads in cinemas and W***ers trying to race round the carpark in 1.1 Fiestas with more glassfibre bodywork than lilly savage.

Decent film but dont go to cineworld in wolverhampton.:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Saw it this week, mildly amusing. Data can read the matrix code now can he? ;) I thought First Contact was better. What I thought was strange is that the film seemed to be spliced together from about 50 strips of film, there was cigarette burns every 5 mins followed by the usual judder!

4. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was amazing. The long, long battle between the Enterprise and Shin Zan's ship was incredible - perhaps the best battle ever, regardless of format (sword/gun/photon torpedo!).

In terms of scale and atmosphere I thought it matched LOTR - of course this is very different, but very special indeed.

Had the action of First Contact - but about ten times better and without the schmaltz. The stuff with Data at the end was genuinely sad :(

I can't imagine the film being any better. 6 out of five :eek:

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    agree with you daninthemix

i also enjoyed it as much, if not more than LOTR - as a cinema experience, though i def. think those that have grown up with the next-gen series (as i did), will have got the most out of it. It had all the elements which i think make the best startreks, and thankfully no time travel (oh lets blow everything up/kill all, then look, everythings ok), and also not a flight joystick in sight ;-).

this was solid trek, and and easily up there with first contact - maybe even better.

dean

6. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep...I'm kind of 'in there' at the mo, having watched all 7 seasons of next gen over the past couple of months. I feel Nemesis is the only one of the films that doesn't 'dumb down' for a non-Trek audience:p

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No where near LOTR and I'm not even a LOTR fan! First contact and Generations were far better! not enough Space scenes for me either. Nice to see JLP and crew back but was this realy the best they could do??

Overall I was pretty dissapointed with it, wich is a shame as I am a fan of TNG.

6/10 (IMHO)

Taz.

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  9. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmm, did I expect too much...I didnt really enjoy the movie, bits of it for sure, I half expected Bambi to jump out at the end. Im sure Trekheads will love it, I felt some scenes were tedious and I was embarrassed to sit and watch them as if I was gunuinly enjoying myself. I watch all Trek stuff when I can and to this day considiered myself to be a bit of a Trekhead, perhaps Im not a Trekkie after all due to comments above. Perhaps it was the gigling from girls a few rows back that marred my viewing pleasure and hence opinions.

I thought First Contact was much better.

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well what can I say, I just seen this tonight and was very dissapointed indeed...

Being a big fan of the next generation I was looking forward to this alot, after seeing it I thought that it was very slow in places, several characters were very under used and the story as a whole was quite lame.

I reciently read elsewhere that some of the cast had issue's with the director regarding their characters in the film mainly because he didn't have much experience with, or knowledge of the Star Trek world, IMO, I think that this shows.

In it's defence I did enjoy the space battle and some of the next generation character interactions (what little of it there was) but that's about it :(

I would rate most of the series episodes over this film, and that's the thing that dissapoints me most.

Iain.

11. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i used to be on the committee of the Leeds fna club, and a few of use (6) went to see it Saturday evening. We all enjoyed it, but three of us in unision on exit said "Star Trek 10: The Wrath of Shin Zan"!

5.5 out of 10, although I think subsequent viewings will bump that up.

Plus I had a couple of manky pints before hand, and Ie was really ill during the showing so that may have marred my enjoyment.

12. currysauce

currysauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you on about daninthemix? Didn't you think the acting was similar to that of Eldorado? And how dare you compare it to LOTR.

13. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that you Steve? You goddamn human paraquat!

14. currysauce

currysauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh? what you on about mate? :confused: :confused:

Get your facts straight before you accuse me. Just because I'm new here no need to slag me off.

15. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies. I just thought it inconceivable that there be two Nemesis-hating curry obsessives in the world. My mistake:rolleyes:

16. currysauce

currysauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apology accepted. Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes. Like going to see Star Trek...

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Wrath of Khan..........................RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should of called this movie preperation H coz that is where it belongs:D