Just Seen - Star Trek: Nemesis

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Confucius, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Saw this over in Canada a couple of days ago.

Some excellent action scenes, funny, poignant and as alluded to in the publicity, has an element of 'closure' (which is both sad and satisfying). Can't really say any more without spoiler(s).

It built from a measured, some may say slow, start to a crescendo about half way through that never let up. Sadly the last half felt a little rushed at times, with a few unanswered questions as to the actions of some characters.

All the cast are on top form, though I didn't find the principal villain entirely satisfactory - Shinzon was more Dr. Tolian Soran than Khan Noonien Singh, and with a big question mark over the motivation(s) for his ultimate goal.

There were wormholes in the plot big enough to fit a starbase in, but I can forgive these simply because it is Star Trek.

Sounded very punchy indeed - it was shown with dts sound - and with some excellent visual effects too.

I'd put the films in this order now:

1= Voyage Home & First Contact
    3. Search for Spock
    4. Nemesis
    5. Undiscovered Country
    6. Final Frontier
    7. Wrath of Khan
    8. Generations
    9. Insurrection
    10. Motion Picture

With a better actor as the principal villain, and a couple of the plot holes closed off, this would have been a contender for the the best film so far. It just feels as though completion was a little rushed.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    without asking too much and not knowing anythin at all..... you suggest this to be the end of star trek.... or have i taken that out of context?

ad

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    A bit out of context!

Honestly can't say much without giving some plot away, and I wouldn't want to spoil anything. There isn't, say, the finality of Generations, but it wraps things up.

In theory, at least, there could be more Next Gen movies.

I should've said in my first post that I did thoroughly enjoy it!! Certainly enough to see it at the cinema here in January.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    whats release date then?

ad

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    It premiered just the other day, and is on general release from January 3rd, with some cinemas showing it as a preview on January 2nd.

6. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an interview with Patrick Stewart he says everybody is working on the word final in "this is the begining of thier final journey" (sic), where-as the studio want you to concentrate on the word begining. He says " we could be begining for a while yet"

However on Liquid News (or something similar - maybe Talking Movies) he (PS) has said that he wants closure on Picard - he has played him for 16/17 years.

I've also heard that the DS9 crew don't want to do a movie (or was that the Voyager crew - can't remember)