Just seen: Reign of Fire

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is an infuriating film. Some excellent effects and a couple of really impressive set pieces - but also a flabby structure, abysmal dialogue, colourless characterisation and plot holes so large you could fly a dragon through them.

All that time and money and expertise, all thrown away for the want of a halfway decent script.

Sad...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

None of that matters... cos it's got Dragons in it and I got a week off to go see it in hopefully an empty theatre!

Originally posted by Bert Coules
This is an infuriating film. Some excellent effects and a couple of really impressive set pieces - but also a flabby structure, abysmal dialogue, colourless characterisation and plot holes so large you could fly a dragon through them.

All that time and money and expertise, all thrown away for the want of a halfway decent script.

Sad...
Like so many hollywood films these days... sigh!

Ah jeez,

I was going to go and see ROF today, shall I still bother?

How bad is it?

Taz.:cool:

Of course you should bother!

Never let someone else's opinion influence you when you've a chance to make a decision for yourself. For all you know, I might be talking through my hat.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

I have read very mixed reviews but most seem to like it. I fancy it myself.

It may not be the best fil out ther but i do think the dragons are still worth seeing :D

Originally posted by Bert Coules
Of course you should bother!

Never let someone else's opinion influence you when you've a chance to make a decision for yourself. For all you know, I might be talking through my hat.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Well after that stern telling off;) I'm going to see it at 15.30:D

Will post my own review later.... hmmm.....nachos! :D

:D

Just seen it and on leaving I asked the mrs what she thought "Not bad" and she liked the dragons.

As for me, ..... What a load of rubbish! :eek: I've seen some bad films and that was one of them! As for the dragons, Draco from Dragonheart was far better animated and dragon like (IMHO).

The film quality itself was another issue, more grain than a packet of Uncle Bens and an annoying line of sparklies about 1/5 of the way in from top to bottom.

All in all I just wasted £17.50 but the Nachos were good;)

Taz rating 2/10
Mrs T rating 6/10

Oh dear, sounds like a Dungeons and Dragons let down - films like that ake you understand bars in cinemas. Hic.

The mrs and i did a deal i would see the guru if she would watch reign of fire

the guru is a far better film

reign of fire is a very silly film - It uses the Chewbacca defence

but the dragons are very cool indeed

i was not impressed with the flashbacks via newspaper clippings that was disappointing. I think the promotion poster was very misleading

Your reference to Chewbacca is apt. In fairness, I should have mentioned that there is one (and only one) well-written scene in Reign of Fire - but it relies entirely upon a different, and rather better, movie...

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

i seen this on friday past and can honestly say i enjoyed it, the only disappointment forme was that there were not enough dragons. in truth it was a good b-movie. if i were to change the film at all i would probably have shown how the dragons took over the world to see the amount of action would have been awesome and perhaps there wouldn't have been as many people knocking the film back. all in all a good night at the movies.:D

Just seen this thought it was a decent film.I think 9/11 may of had something to do with there being no scenes of London and other capital cities being destroyed.

If you go in to the movie sit down and turn the old brain off i think you'll find it a very enjoyable movie........

but always place a napkin on ya shirt or the nachos cheese leave nasty stains down ur front.....

Watched this while stuck in Dover waiting for a Ferry - utter and complete sh*te - avoid.
Christian Bale is English and he STILL does a truly awful accent that fluctuates throughout. As for McConnaughey - he looks like a reject from WWE wrestling and plays it that way. Some of the dragon CGI was OK, but as usual after all the build up it was pretty damn easy to kill the big, bad, ultimate mutha male now wasn't it?

Izabella Scorupco, however, is mighty fine. :D She even made Vertical Limit watchable.

Save your money and rent it after five pints of your particular poison have dulled off your sense of taste..... and memory.

dr_mabuse

just rented this and think you lot are on drugs.

as an action/fantasy popcorn rollercoaster ride this movie RULES (sorry about the MTV review)!!!

amazing effects, superb set-pieces and the DTS track was incredible! Totally and completely enjoyed this one.

I'll be buying this one no worries (can't believe it was from the same fella who did X-Files the movie, this was light years ahead of that nasty thing)... I rented Deathwatch at the same time because of our recent forum visit and well... being kind... that was terrible!

Reign of Fire is as the first post says, a really infuriating film - an interesting idea but with just a passable script, varying performances from the cast; a few really good set pieces that still seem to short change the viewer - pretty sloppy from a director who has made more gripping & satisfying episodes of ST: Next Gen/X Files than you would gather from this - and one of the best movie posters of recent years that raised expectations high only for the audience to find out the image used was based on a couple of brief shots in a montage sequence!

The Dragons however ARE great - what you see of them, even if they do owe a lot in their look/design to the Vermithrax - the dragon from what, for all its' faults, is still the best dragon movie ever made - DRAGONSLAYER.

I really wish Reign of Fire had been a bigger commercial success, as it may have prompted Paramount to dig into their vaults and give Dragonslayer a clean up for DVD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom