1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen pirates of the caribbean

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sick Note, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Was looking forward to this and it was definately worth the wait. Some great set pieces and plenty swashing of buckles! best part of the film though is Johnny Depp who plays his character Captain Jack Sparrow so fantastically over the top and steals every scene he is in:D
    Recommended:smashin:

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Looking forward to this myself, though i think the trailer i saw has somewhat spoiled my enjoyment of the full thing - once again a case of showing far too much. Shame it seems to be the marketing people who have control over trailer content, and not the director.

3. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read that Depp based his character on the human riff machine that is Keith Richards.

Must have taken some make up. Or an acid bath.

4. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Keith Richards sounds about right, he´s spaced out for the entire film!:zonked:

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm also looking forward to it. I hope there's lots of zombie pirates using nautical terms!

"Avast ye!............brains!"
    "Ahoy thar me hearties..........brains!"
    "Raise the mizzen mast!"

and of course the classic:

"YAAAARRGH!!!" :)

6. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw it last night.
    It's one of the best films i've seen for a while. It's so funny, really well made and the action scenes are great.

Don't miss it!
    Deffinately the best film on at the moment, so if your looking for something to watch, watch this!

7. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with the above....

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic... not a thinker's movie by any means... but as an action/drama/comedy it just "worked"... (well the 4 of us that saw it thought so anyway!)

Johnny Depp was superb... and for once the effects in a movie were a) very well done and b) not overused...

Highly recommended!

Mark.

8. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And can anyone honestly say they thought there was a 'bad' performance by any of the key cast?

I certainly can't.

Geoffrey Rush was awsome as Barbossa, but Johnny Depp was amazing!

My favourite movie of the year, followed by X-2 and then Matrix Reloaded.

I can't wait for the DVD.

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen this today..

A good fun film - not a zombie film by any means but Johnny Depp was really good..

Saw at Odeon Leicester Sq (screen 1) - not too impressed. Me and the missus noticed flashes of red in B&W type shots - very off putting, and the bass was not much cop (as a reference saw matrix2 at the warner village in Leicester Sq -THX-and was VERY impressed)

""And can anyone honestly say they thought there was a 'bad' performance by any of the key cast?""

The bloke from the LOTR was a bit limp........ ;)

Will be buying the DVD though,

Rob

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent film, only it's running time could be considered a flaw - it could have done with some harsher editing to lose about 15 minutes or so.

And Johnny Depp is simply mesmerizing as Jack Sparrow ('That's 'Captain' Jack Sparrow'). Keira Knightley is certainly very watchable also :)

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Saw it last night, great film. Agree with all the above.

So mant familiar Brit faces that I couldn't quite place.
    Even Gareth from 'The Office' with his dodgy false eye!

Interestingly, it was shown in Sony's SDDS sound system at our local multiplex, which is a first.
    Sounded OK but was spoilt by the leakage of the Subwoofer sound from T3 showing next door!

That's the first time i've heard sound from another film at this multiplex. All i can say is T3 must have an awesome sound.

12. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't notice the length at all. I enjoyed it THAT much that I didn't want it to finish. And I would even say that I hope there's ton's of deleted/alternate material on the DVD.

13. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got to add another positive report for this film. It really deserves the big box office figures it's been getting in the US. It's got repeat viewing written all over it, and I will be checking it out again in the next week or two.

Jonny Depp is a revelation as Jack Sparrow and I agree with Idoodle in that the rest of the cast was excellent. Everyone was clearly having a good time. It also makes a change for a period film not to feature the English as the dastardly evil villains with no redeeming qualities (thankfully Mel Gibson wasn't involved or it might have been different :rolleyes:)

"Drink up me hearties - yo ho!" :laugh:

14. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else notice Mackenzie Crook from 'The Office' and whats-his-name (don't know his real name) from 'This Life' ?

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jack Davenport. I thought he played his role nicely, gave Depp a real 'straight' character to bounce off of.

16. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Went to see this last night and agree with all here, excellent. First time in many years that the sound of applause was herd from the audience for a film. :clap: :smashin:

17. F4STLOVE

F4STLOVE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah this movie was soo much fun, its such a nice change from
    all the sci we've had so far. Jonny Depp was fantastic!!

18. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sort enjoyed it, but not as much as I might have had it been more historically accurate ... I'm a big Patrick O'Brien fan (nearly same period historical fiction) & bits of Pirates (quick-firing muskets none ever seemed to reload, high explosive canonballs) ticked me off. There was one line of dialogue in particular - can't remember what - that seemed to be historic speak but was actually complete twaddle.

The ghostly buccanneers were entirely accurate, of course.

19. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you looking forward to Russell Crowe in Master and Commander?

20. Iam

Iam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally oh yes, but then I reread the books (at a rate of one or even two a week!) & now I'm looking at the film with as much trepidation.

I've never seen Russell Crowe do comedy - which the books are (to a degree) - & he does n't strike me as a bundle of laughs (not that I'm any judge!).

The film will probably be an excellent action movie ... whether it'll be anything more is another matter.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Pirates was the best film I have seen this year - after 10 minutes I forgot that there was 2 feet of picture off the bottom of the screen, th picture was lopsided to the right and there was a 6 inch gap between the picture on the film and the edge of the screen on the right hand side...oh, and my feet were stuck to the floor...:rolleyes:
    I think only Pirates is the only film that could have kept my interest in such a flea pit...if only I had seen it 3 weeks earlier when it was showing in the THX approved screen 4 at the UGC in Crawley instead of the nobody approved screen 10...:(
    Got to agree about Jonny Depp though - I thought he was brilliant in Ed Wood - but this was defo his best performance to date IMO...

:smashin: :smashin: from me...

22. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Having heard nothing but positive reports about POTC:TCOTBP, I was really looking forward to this, but I'm sorry. It did nothing for me. Johnny Depp, whom I usually like, gave a performance so over the top and annoying, I wanted to punch his lights out after 5 minutes. Orlando Bloom was bland, Keira Knightly was, well Keira Knightly. Jack Davenport was as wooden as the plank Miss Knightly walked, and Jonathan Price phoned in his performance. Geoffrey Rush was OK, at least he looked like a pirate, not some bizzare Adam Ant / Duran Duran hybrid.
    After 20 minutes both me and the other half were bored stiff. Even Cutthroat Island was better than this twaddle.
    Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I give this rubbish 1/10:thumbsdow

23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Poor Mr. Pickles......... it was supposed to be cheesy and wooden, I guess if you don't like the smell of a good stilton you won't enjoy.

I loved the old pirate who said "Arrrgggghhh tis bad luck to bring a lady on board." very wooden and cheesy lines but amusing nonetheless.

24. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Enjoyed it - not as good as other no brainer adventure movies like the Indiana Jones Trilogy or the 1st Mummy movie. Johnny Depp was brilliant, but Orlando Bloom was very dull. Geoffrey Rush was also cool. Wouldn't rush to see it again. I think T3 has been my favourite summer blockbuster.

25. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Indy a 'no brainer' and likened to The Mummy !!! :confused:

Be prepared to be lynched :mad: ;)

26. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Its Saturday afternoon, matinee adventure, cliff-hanger stuff. Thats what I mean by no-brainer as it isn't exactly thought provoking, ddep and meaningful material, is it? Quality though. The Mummy doesn't come close to Indy, but was very enjoyable in that genre. "Pirates...." was enjoyable also, but it hasn't made me want to buy it or see it again, the others did.

Lynch away!

27. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Loved it - 2/3 full cinema fair number of kids but not a peep from any of them I think that says what an enjoyable movie this was. Depp (wot no credit for Keith Richards as dialogue coach), Rush (great Bristol accent well sometimes when it wasn't Irish) et al were great. Godd script, well paced, appropriate soundtrack (not written by Zimmer but his production made it sound like one of his) & good effects (maybe a bit scarey for the tinys though) & some great one liners. Roll on the DVD (love to hear what JD has to say) & the inevitible sequel.

I wonder if they'll update the dodgy ride at Disney that inspired it?

28. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>>Having heard nothing but positive reports about POTC:TCOTBP, I was really looking forward to this, but I'm sorry..........(clipped)<<<<<

It looks as though you were expecting something else. I try my best to go to the cinema with as few expectations as possible and an open mind which is why I wasn't disappointed when I saw Blair Witch Project. That combined with a low entertainment threshold.

I'm curious about the comments regarding historical accuracies, in particular the dialect. Is there much recorded and historically verified about the language and dialects used by those pigeon holed as pirates? I'm sure they must of been one of the first true multi-cultural societies - language and all, which would probably have left the audience in a state of wonder from start to finish.

This was a film where the characters were derived from historical & cultural role models and popular fancy. If I wanted a true and accurate account of sea-borne piracy I would have sought out a National Geographic article on such.

It was a good ol' swashbuckler. Not even an original concept. An up to date version of those same films from decades ago, providing the visual treat that CGI now allows us.

If you went expecting anything other than that then you were bound to be disappointed. After all, Jerry Bruckheimer was involved in it

29. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw it last weekend.

Thought it was OK, wouldn't go overboard about it......

Ba-boom
    :clown:

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, Mr. Depp was good, but I enjoyed it for other reasons... :devil:

Attached Files:

• kk.jpg
      kk.jpg