1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen: Man on Fire

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Man on Fire, starring Denzel Washington as a bodyguard out to get revenge is a great movie - but not your typical action flick as the trailers might imply, and neither does it compare to movies that I know of with a similar theme.
    It does have action, it is violent but never too explicit, humorous at times, and the performance of the lead actors is spot on. Also liked the story and the ending.
    The only criticism that I have that Mickey Rourke plays in it, too, but luckily we don't see too much of him.

Otherwise highly recommended and good for a 2nd viewing at the cinema. :thumbsup:

* * * * * out of 5

2. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have to echo those sentiments...this is one great film to watch. :smashin:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    I believe the main character was used in number of other books after the one this film was based on.
    I too enjoyed the film as I always enjoy DW performances, the thing I did not like was how it was filmed as it was jerky and fast forwards a lot of the time and at times could not make out what was going on especially the turning point of the film.
    I would have given it 9/10 for the excellent story and acting but the film techniques drops it to 6/10.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    SPOILERS!!!!

i saw it last week at a preview screening i enjoyed it but it could have been tighter. the setup with the girl (who was fab by the way) took alittle too long. i think it took about an hour to hour ten before she was kidnapped. if this was about 45 mins then the film would have come in at around two hours rather than 2 and a half. all in all very enjoyable.

Gary

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Really, really enjoyed this one. Denzel is on good form, as is Christopher Walken in a small supporting role. As said previously the film is quite violent especially the finger cutting off scene but never detracts from the quality of the overall film. Yes it is a tad long, but i think thats due to getting in the 'hollywood ending'. But a solid 8/10.

6. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking forward to this one.The clip I saw with the bomb up the bum amused me(I have a sick sense of humour)!

7. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,857
    just watched this this afternoon,its a top notch goodf ilm ,the performance of the actors is excellent,especially the girl and denzel,8/10

8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,316
    Just a note of warning to anyone getting this on R1.

DO NOT read the back of the DVD case prior to watching. It gives away a major spoiler.

Greg

9. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    SPOILER!

Actually I was surprised by the ending. As the girl had been released and he was going to meet the baddies I assumed he would also have one of those bombs hidden up his jacksie and kill eveyone (as he was going to be killed anyway).

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dragging back an old post here but just wanted to say i got a chance to see this film tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was a bit overlong. Why has it taken so long for this film to get released here, i'm sure i saw some post from like 3 months ago discussing this films release in the states?

Also just wanted to ask something, did anyone else notice that some of the music in the film sounded similar/same as that in Gladiator, also being used in the film to set a similar tone?

Nick

11. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just saw MoF last night (in a near empty cinema :smashin: ) and thought it was a great film. Top marks for everything, especially the acting. Didn't think it was too long as I was gripped all the way and the camering that some found a problem I thought gave the film more of an edge.

Highly recommended.

Mark.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
    top quality movie.
    I actually thought the editing style and the look of the film were spot on myself. Tony Scott does seem to do a lot of that these days