1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST SEEN: Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Beek1, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so I've only just got back from the press screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and at the moment thoughts about it are simply racing around inside my head. At this stage, it's simply too soon to put them down in any sort of order (although I will do this soon - although if anyone has any questions about the film, feel free to ask), but I just thought I should tell you that at last somebody has delivered a movie which easily lives up to the hype surrounding it. The cast are uniformly excellent (with Sir Ian becoming the perfect embodiment of Gandalf), the CGI effects are simply mind-blowing (after seeing what WETA has done with entirely CGI creations like the cave troll and the Balrog, you'll wonder how ILM could ever try and get away with the sort of junk they produced for The Mummy Returns again), the story is continually gripping (not to mention suitably downbeat) and Jackson proves that he is a director gifted with being able to make the most of his source material.
    The only down side to the whole thing is that now I've got to wait until at least this time next year to get an early showing of The Two Towers. Oh well, it's time to start watching trailers all over again.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    You bastard! :)
    But I forgive you the intense jelousy you just invoked in me - you don't know how happy you've made me knowing the movie is decent.

3. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While it certainly isn't the greatest film ever made (as far as I'm concerned it's not even the best film of the year!), The Fellowship of the Ring is undoubtedly the best fantasy film I've seen in a very, very long time. It really has been worth the wait.

Unlike Lucas, Jackson is a man who doesn't disappoint.

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the superb Full Trailer on my Rush Hour 2 DVD :(

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lucky bastard, I have still got to wait 9 whole days before I get to see FOTR. It's good to know that you enjoyed the film though. Even though there have been loads of reviews from the States which have praised the film very highly English tastes can differ a fair bit, so it is encouraging that a Brit liked the film as well.

Beek1, I am interested in your comment though that you did not think it was the film of the year seeing as most of the films released this year have been complete crap, so what film(s) this year would you put above FOTR and why?

Also have you read the books before or where you a Tolkien novice when you went into see the film? Do you think this film will appeal to the average movie goer?

Anyway looking forward to your complete review.

6. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What can I say? I'm an old romantic at heart and the two stand out movies for me this year have been Moulin Rouge and the exceptional Tears of a Black Tiger (plus there was The Man Who Wasn't There to take into account as well).
    As for being a possible Tolkien novice, well it's been a good 13 years since I last read the novels, although I have seen the animated movie several times over the following years, and I've always had a soft spot for fantasy films. Personally speaking I thought that the film was as close to Tolkien's novel as it was possible to be given the confines of three hours. Sure some of the mythology had to go (as did some characters - although nobody is really going to miss that annoying, tree-hugging, poetry-spouting hippy Tom Bombadil), but I do still wonder how well a 'mainstream' audience is going to take to the myriad races they are confronted with in the film. Still, if there's one thing the film does exceptionally well, it's in quickly, efficiently and dramatically explaining the entire history of the Ring to even the most ignorant viewer at the get go.
    Trust me. You're all going to love it.

7. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GRRRRRR! :p

8. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply I can't wait for the 19th

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Stroll on general release day, I can't wait..:D

Si

10. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on from my earlier comments, I thought I should possibly put this film into context with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and comments I made in a thread elsewhere on this site regarding that film. After my criticism of Chris Columbus' (lack of) direction concerning the first Harry Potter movie, one of the best things about Lord of the Rings is Peter Jackson's use of imagery to propel the narrative forward. There is a slight tendancy to over use the old "it's an epic story so every scene has to begin with the widest shot possible" trend, but the camera placement and movement draws you completely into the story. All in all, possibly the kindest compliment I can pay Jackson is that he's created a film which looks exactly like the world of Middle Earth I imagined when I first listened to the superb Radio 4 adaptation.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    What is the screen ratio of the film? all the snippets I’ve seen look 1.85:1 I thought it would have been 2.35:1.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

12. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to IMDb, it is 1:2.35 on 35mm film.

Cliff

13. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I thought I would give you my review as I went to see FOTR last night.

First of all I will let you know what my bias is on LOTR. I have read the books three times and I love it as a book, it is probably one of my favourite books ever. I am also a big fan of the fantasy genre as have done my fair amount of role playing in my youth.

I am also not in anyway a film reviewer, I just love films like most people on this forum. So because of that I am just going to give you my honest opinion on it, you can totally disagree with me I do not problem with that

So now I have got that out of the way the one word that I would use to sum up the film is amazing. I think Peter Jackson has done a wonderful job on this film especially as the first book can be slow at times and from an action point of view not a great deal happens. All the major battles happen in parts two and three.

PJ has captured Middle Earth, it is just how I imagined it, from the Shire to Rivendell to Mordor you do believe that you are there. The sets and the landscape shots are just mind-blowing, you will not see a more visually spectacular film, until the Two Towers comes out.

The acting throughout the movie is also brilliant, there is not one bad performance. The only thing that did niggle me was Gimli's voice, a bit too Scottish for my liking, I also spotted PJ's cameo but I will not give it away. For me the best performance was Ian McKellen as Gandalf, it was just captivating.

The special effects were also very good about as good as ILM at their best. I did find some of them though did not look too realistic, especially when Sauraman was standing infront of the Orthanc tower.

One word of warning the bad guys are as scary as hell, from the black riders to the orcs they are very believable. How this film got a PG rating is beyond me, do not take small children this will scare them.

The stand out moment is Moria, and the chase through the mines. The initial fight scene in Moria is very good but at times the camera was a bit to close to the action for my liking but this is a minor niggle. The fight at the end is also very good.

I am not going to go into much more but I would just like to sum up my emotions throughout the film. This is a roller coaster ride of a film taking you from real highs to real lows. In certain scenes my heart was just pounding, it has been a very long time since a film has done this. Also when the Fellowship come out of Moria the cinema went silent, this does not happen often when you are in a cinema. The biggest praise I can give this film is what happened when the film finished, the audience applauded.

The film is not perfect, it does have faults and is probably not the best film I have ever watched but it is the best fantasy film I have had the pleasure to watch on the big screen. Roll on Christmas next year for the Two Towers.

Final rating 9/10

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I have to agree with Ian Cox, Ian McKellen is simply brilliant performance as Gandalf, I have never relay took much notice of this actor but over the last few year I have seen him in Gods and Monsters, Magneto in X-Men and now in this, all totally enjoyable performances.
    As to the film, the Hobbit village was just as I expected and how some of the actor appeared small well what can I say. The scene in the mines just before they crossed the bridge was stunning and looked totally authentic.
    Only thing, I was to see part 2 now.

By the way isn’t Ian McKellen a Sir? And if a isn’t why not.

:cool: Ruby quarts shades.

15. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes he is a Sir, I forgot to put that in my review.

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    Hi Ian
    I hope my posting did not come across as though I was pulling you up over the Sir, it was I just thought he was, and with you not mentioning it, I checked on the movie database and he was not knighted there either.
    I will have to look out for some of the other films he has made.

17. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garrett

No offense taken at all, after you put your post up I remembered that he was a sir.

Also what did you think of the film generally?

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    Hi Ian
    What can I say, the casting was great, the story was more or less followed faithfully, the special effects were the best I’ve seen, the scenery was absolutely stunning. And nearly 3 hours long Personally I did think it slowed down a bit in parts which wasn’t bad except the guy on the other side of the isle started rocking his squeaky shoes. I would have liked to have seen what Gollum looked like. Roll on the Ennts (pardon the spelling). This is a film to see on the big screen.
    I wouldn’t mind living with Arwen’s people, what a beautiful place. If it hasn’t been said before I’ll say it now Star Wars of the 21st century. I won’t be getting the DVD later next year though, I will be getting the box set when it comes out.
    Did you spot Dominic Monaghan (Merry) from Hetty Wainthropp Investigates(filmed in part in Burnley where Sir Ian McKellen was born).
    Most of my thoughts have been covered in your review, I too would say more but do not want to spoil any of the plot for people who do not know the story.
    Nice to see Christopher Lee again, shame Hammer didn’t make more Duke de Reau films.

19. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    9/10 for this film but.........
    I found the film grainy, a very poor Print or Picture. Could this just be the cinemas set up?
    When calling the NEW Ster century in Romfond they said it was showing in SDDS, But last night on my first visit here it was only a Dolby Digital Es cinema, If I had not gone with another couple I would have left it and gone to the new SDDS UCI 20 miles away.

So is it any better in a UCI SDDS? cinema & is the picture still grainy?

I will go and see it again if it is better.........:rolleyes:

Keith

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I saw the film in the Odeon Leicester square and the print was A1.

21. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I watched it last night in Germany but in the original version (not dubbed). Funnily there was a pee-break after one hour causing an interruption, however me and my buddy enjoyed the movie. Looking forward to part two next year!

22. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw it at the weekend and throroughly enjoyed it.I wouldn't say it's the greatest movie ever made and I found it a tad repetitive at times (hero's travel followed by a fight scene x6) but overall Peter Jackson has delivered an excellent fantasy flick.I certainly can't wait to see the next installment next Christmas.

23. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Saw it yesterday with the wife - sorry to say that both of us were unimpressed and actually quite bored with the whole thing.

Found the story pretty simplistic, the characters cheesy, the "humour" pathetic, and had the distinct impression that we were being force-fed morality snippets every five minutes.

I'm sure it's fantastic if you've read the books, but for myself and 'er indoors (neither of whom have read the books) it was a 3 hour yawn-a-thon.

Fight scenes were very messy, and the special effects, while good, were by no means the best I've ever seen - the award for seemless CGI/live action interaction still has to go to Starship Troopers IMHO.

Very disappointed cos I was really looking forward to seeing the movie based on the almost universally good reports I'd heard.

Bit alarmed to see that LOTR has toppled The Godfather as the Best Film Ever over on the IMdB......tres weird. :confused:

24. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I'd be amazed if it appealed to everyone, those who have read the books know precisely what to expect.

It was written by a man approximately 50yrs ago whose imagination knew pretty much no boundaries and just about anything goes.

Its simply a story of good versus evil and as such its a blinder, the film in my opinion couldn't have followed the story any closer (except Gandalfs fall into shadow in the Mines of Moria should have seen him fighting the Balrog all the way into the Abyss) and the landscapes growing mightier and more impressive the nearer to Mordor the Felllowship travel.

I for one cannot wait for the next installments and congradulate Peter Jackson on his efforts to realise Tolkeins image of Middle Earth on the big screen!

Jeez I sound like an anorak :D

Si

25. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I thought they changed the beginning intro a little about Gollum I though he killed his brother for the ring. Or did I miss it as people were still coming in, also just when they got to the good bits on the Star Wars trailer.
    Wouldn’t have minded a pee break myself but, I held it, unlike half the people in the pictures that couldn’t (if that’s where they was going).

26. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, they cerainly know how to make them like they used to now! I don't think I've seen a movie since 'Lawrence Of Arabia' that so deserved the description of being an 'epic' movie. I sat there, numb-arsed in my seat for over three hours, in another world, fighting orcs and running from demons... only now, when I think of the film the next day, do I realise just what I have seen. Wonderful acting, brilliant, dark directing that Lucas could only wish to be able to half match, and a story so classic that it could never be overshadowed by the awesome special effects. A movie I would recommend seeing, at least three times.

I can't wait for the whole trilogy, ten whole hours of pure brilliance. Reckon I'll need a cushion.

27. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Blimey - I wonder how all this brilliant story and "epic-ness" managed to pass both myself, my wife, and just about every other watch-checking fidgeter in my local cinema by????

Seriously - I wonder how many people really talking this movie up were already fans of the books?

Cos, no offence, but I've seen many, many movies (like most people on this forum) and this one would struggle to make it into the top 100 movies I've seen.

I'm really perplexed as to why this movie didn't float my boat...I love fantasy films, but this just left me cold....I think it was cos it just felt so.....well....nerdy....sorry:confused:

28. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was in awe. My wife really enjoyed it too. Neither of us has read the book. I have now bought the book and I am trying to get through it but I must admit the film was far more entertaining.
    Wonderful film imho and far far better than Star wars.

Darren

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Awesome film.:)

30. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am actually more on Juz's side, I did like it and want to see the sequels but IMHO it's far away from epic proportions nor would I rate it the best movie I have ever seen.

Then again I never understood the fuzz about Star Wars either ... :confused: