just seen it - WOW !

monkeyleader

Prominent Member
Reaction score
well Cambridge was showing two screens this morning at 00:05 and managed to get a ticket.

Sat down and prepared myself ..... and I wasnt dissappointed. The effects are (no pun intended) out of this world, acting is solid and it kept me on the edge of my seat ..

there were a few 'cheesy moments' that made me go .. ooo, but the one scene that did it for me ... right at the end ... yoda .. I wont say anything more .. but for those of you who have seen it .. you know what i mean ... rocking ...

anyhows going to get more tickets and take the wife this weekend ..

cracking show ...

nige

Originally posted by monkeyleader
, acting is solid

Just which performance did you rate?

I thought all the cast varied from distinctly wooden to 2nd rate.

Samual Jackson? who came across as stiff and unimpressive. Was this really the person that shot to fame with his intimidating performance in Pulp Fiction.

Christopher Lee? who walked and talked as though he still had a wooden stake through him from his dracula days.

Or maye it was Haydn Christianson with his impressive 'roger more' range of emotions.

you sure you didnt see a different movie or just get caught up in the Star Wars addiction?

Regards

Best Starwars film ever made. Just back from seeing it twice in a row. As for the acting, this is Starwars, not some political drama. The acting and lines are cheesy because of the surroundings. I don't know why people look back at the first three films and think they are masterful in the acting department. They never were.

Originally posted by groundy

Best Starwars film ever made.

Better than Episode I and Episode VI but never as good as IV or V. It lacks originality, lacks decent cinematography & Samual Jackson should be ashamed of his performance.

This is a poor movie but a great installment in the Star Wars Franchise.

As for the acting, this is Starwars, not some political drama.

So people only act in Political dramas?

I was trying to convey the point that the acting is not at fault but rather the material and story the actors are given to work with. In political dramas such as Traffic, JFK, and many others, actors are given the chance to truely shine through an array of emotions. The Starwars universe does not allow for this (IMO) so you should not expect it. The acting takes a backseat to the story and the on-screen action. Regardless of the mythical status of the Starwars films, they are made to be enjoyable, fun sci-fi flicks and do not set out to win any awards (apart from SFX maybe). Comparing Samuel L. Jackson's role in Pulp Fiction with his role in Episode II for example, and making the conclusion that his acting was unimpressive, is unfair. He's playing a character that is supposed to be reserved, not intimidating. Would you have preferred him to be running around spouting Ezekial 25:17 before disposing of the enemy?

The acting was in no way bad because the lines couldn't have been delivered any better. They suited Starwars.:)

Saw it today in Boldon (North East). Best moment was when Yoda suddenly bursts into action and a group of lads sitting at the back behind shout 'gan on Yoda!' in their best geordie accents.

sorry but have to disagree with you.

Matters not whether its sound of music, star wars or Mr Smith oges to washing ton. A bad actor can kill the most fantastic monologue and a good actor can bring wamth to the dullest of words. Did you ever see the footage of ian McKellen reading 'Like a virgin' for comic relief one year?

no I didnt expect Jackon to don Big black afro and start paraphrasing psalms just as I didnt expect Ewan McGreggor to burtst in to song either, which is a shame really. They could have had a Jedi Kareoke session in the cantina.....

Edit (This movie is worth watching just for the Yoda / Dooka lightsabre duel)

Fair points but you must admit that the Yoda scene was a surprise....and a welcome one at that.:p

Originally posted by groundy
Fair points but you must admit that the Yoda scene was a surprise....and a welcome one at that.:p

Would have been but id unfortunately got wind of it before hand.
Cant remember if it was a trailer, posting or what.

Unfortunately spoilers for Episode II are everywhere. The worst culprits are the news groups as people take pleasure in posting the details in the Topic Subjects so you've already read it before you can look away.

A particularly bad spoiler was exhibited on the Ideal World Shopping Channel the other night. Out comes the Episode II trading card collection and the first card they show.........:mad:

saw the film last night (yawn) with my son. (small yawn)
Yoda's bit definately took it down a few pegs but this is star wars, hype and all.
Amidala's back must have hurt like hell when she fell off the ship into the sand.
didn't rate it too much but i'll still buy it on dvd, c'mon George Lucas needs the money!

a friends just sent me this mail.

Subject: empire on dvd - unclassified mail

>"Darth Vader Strikes Back"

>

>There's going to be an extra scene included

>in the DVD release of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

>coming up next year! Basically, it expands on

>the scene where Vader reveals his fatherhood

>to Luke, and ties up some loose ends created

>with the release of Episode 1...

>

>The Empire Strikes Back: Extra-Special Edition

>

>INT: BESPIN GANTRY - MOMENTS LATER:

>

>A furious lightsaber duel is underway. DARTH

>VADER is backing LUKE SKYWALKER

>towards the end of the gantry. A quick move by

>Vader, chops off Luke's hand! It goes spinning

>off into the ventilation shaft. Luke backs away.

>He looks around, but realizes there's nowhere

>to go but straight down.

>

>Darth Vader: Obi Wan never told you what

>happened to your father.

>

>Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed

>him!

>

>Darth Vader: No... I am your father!

>

>Luke: No, it's not true! It's impossible.

>

>Darth Vader: Search your feelings... you know

>it to be true...

>

>Luke: NO!

>

>Darth Vader: Yes, it is true... and you know

>what else? You know that brass droid of

>yours?

>

>Luke: Threepio?

>

>Darth Vader: Yes... Threepio... I built him...

>when I was 7 years old...

>

>Luke: No...

>

>Darth Vader: Seven years old? And what

>have you done? Look at yourself, no hand,

>no job, and couldn't even levitate your

>own ship out of the swamp...

>

>Luke: I destroyed your precious Death Star!

>

>Darth Vader: When you were 20! When I

>was 10, I single-handedly destroyed a Trade

>Federation Droid Control ship!

>

>Luke: Well, it's not my fault...

>

>Darth Vader: Oh, here we go... "Poor me...

>my father never gave me what I wanted for

>my birthday... boo hoo, my daddy's the Dark

>Lord of the Sith...waahhh wahhh!"

>

>Luke: Shut up...

>

>Darth Vader: You're a slacker! By the time

>I was your age, I had exterminated the

>Jedi knights!

>

>Luke: I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's

>Canyon

>

>Darth Vader: Oh, for the love of the Emperor...

>10 years old, winner of the Boonta Eve Open...

>Only human to ever fly a Pod Racer... right

>here, baby!

>

>{Luke looks down the shaft. Takes a step

>towards it.}

>

>Darth Vader: I was wrong... You're not my kid...

>I don't know whose you are, but you sure ain't

>mine...

>

>{Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates,

>then plunges down the shaft.}

>

>{Darth Vader looks after him.}

>

>Darth Vader: Get a haircut!

:clown: :clown: :clown:
That is THE funniest thing I have read on these forums. I'll have a pint of what your drinking.:D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom