Just Seen Insomnia

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by stealther, Aug 31, 2002.

1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Just seen Insomnia
    Ive been waiting to see this movie for ages as Williams and Pacino are my two favourite actors. So ive been dying to see them play against each other.
    Pacino emerges on top as far as the acting goes but then that goes without saying.

As for the movie I would recommend seeing it to any crime thriller fans.

Anyway Momento director Christopher Nolan does it again.
    Its certainly better then any other movie currently being screened at my local Warner Brothers.

Pacino 9/10 Williams 8/10
    The film overall 7/10.

Hilary Swan is fit but her front teeth are really big!

This is not a spoiler as it is in all the reviews:

Al Pacino plays an LA cop who gets consumed by guilt after he accidentally kills his partner while hunting the killer of a teenage girl in Alaska.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have been looking forward to this film

however, i was disappointed

The acting was superb they did the very best with a weak script. Loved Memento but the pace of this film was just too slow.

I thought the film was pretty good but i was expecting a lot more

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Saw it last night and I thought it was a good movie but by no means great. I'm a big Pacino fan and have been looking forward to it for ages but I have to say I was ultimately disappointed. That said, the Alaskan scenery was breathtaking in some shots.

The script managed to surprise early on and the film took an unexpected turn but the pace was too slow. Also, two scenes in the film blatently ripped of two other movies that did them better.

The first scene ripped of Se7en.

The second scene ripped of Silence Of The Lambs.

I won't say what they were but to anyone watching the film, they should be obvious.

Still, I would advise going to see it because it's still better than most other recent films.

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what scenes just do spoiler and leave a gap

i just can not think of the 2 you mean

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK - definate SPOILERS below:

If you're wondering why the S W A N K in Hilary S****'s name is starred out, it's due to the forums controls on naughty words - taken a bit too far in this instance I think :rolleyes:.

The first scene I was referring to was when Pacino turned up at Finches apartment door. There is a sideways shot of the camera looking down the corridor with Pacino standing outside - very reminiscent of Se7en when Pitt and Freeman turn up at John Doe's apartment. The scene goes on in Insominia when Robin Williams appears outside the door and notices someone is inside. He then makes a run for it which begins the chase scene - again just like Se7en. Finally after the chase, Pacino returns to Finches apartment and kicks the door down - yep you guessed it - just like Se7en. The scene ends with Pacino picking up the phone only to be greeted by the killer on the other end. Same as when Pitt picks up John Doe's phone in Se7en. Direct and blatent parallels all round.

The sceond scene was at the end when Hilary S**** turns up at Finches cabin for an innocent purpose, i.e., to pick up the letters from Finch. Again, reminiscent of Jodie Foster turning up at Jame Gumb's house at the end of Silence. Both did not know they were actually at the murderer's house. Inside in Insomnia and Finch is looking for the letters while S**** looks around - at the same time in Silence, Jame Gumb is looking for the forwarding address of the previous occupent while Foster looks around the house. In Insomnia, S**** notices the murdered girls dress and she now realises she is actually in the murderer's cabin. In Silence, Foster notices the Deaths Head Moth flying about and again realises she is in the murder's house. Finch takes S**** hostage in the celler. Jame Gumb already has a hostage in the celler. Pacino turns up and Finch makes a run for it. In Silence, Jame Gumb makes a run for it and kills the power making it hard to see for Foster. In Insomnia, Pacino hasn't been sleeping and is finding it hard to see straight just like Foster couldn't see in the dark in Silence

Pretty conclusive to me and blatent rip offs which were not done as well as they were in the aformentioned films.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep i do agree with you on both those

i do remember thinking something similar about the se7en scene whilst i was watching now

i was really expecting more of Nolan after the very original Memento

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed, Memento was a very cleverly written film. One of the few films that I just had to watch again as soon as it finished. In fact I think I watched it 3 or 4 nights in a row :confused:.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,085
    Is see Robin Williams is playing out of normal character in it, usually when he gives his better performances.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,085
    Only read it to a point incase there was a spoilers. Just read it and I think I have read one.:(

Just wanted to know what a performance he gave.

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stealther if you like Pacino then you should watch 'The Insider' and 'Heat'...both great films :)

12. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I felt really funnt after I left the cinema, I felt like I hadn't slept I really felt for Pacino's character.

I agree with some of the comments the story was interesting but the script was fairly weak.

The funniest bit was when Pacino and Williams were fighting and sound shouted out "DON'T CALL ME MORK" which caused a lot of tittering.

13. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I felt really funny after I left the cinema, I felt like I hadn't slept I really felt for Pacino's character.

I agree with some of the comments the story was interesting but the script was fairly weak.

The funniest bit was when Pacino and Williams were fighting and sound shouted out "DON'T CALL ME MORK" which caused a lot of tittering.

14. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this was a top film, great acting and really liked the twists in the story although at times you could kind of guess what might of been in the mind of the writer.

After enjoying memento and now insomnia it only seems natural to checkout http://us.imdb.com/Title?0154506