1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen hd feed of 436 next to pv500!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by birdseed, Sep 19, 2005.

1. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dear all,

I know there are multiple posts cropping up comparing these two screens, but id yet to read of anyone actually seeing them side by side.

I just saw the 436xde beside the pv500 in comet, fed by the standard hd demo they show.
    This will be a very lay persons view of it and its just my opinion, i accept others WILL feel different!

Gut impression when i walked in, was that the 436 had more colour to it. The aircraft display with the gloss red wings looked more glossy, the microlight being flown with the geese, the wings white surface looked whiter and there was more detail in the background.
    The HD demo of battlestar gallactica, with all the black backgrounds, i felt the pio was slightly darker, certainly not by much however, and the clarity of the green clouds was better on the pio.

However there was a short football sequence and i had to admit the panasonics pitch was pretty faultless. But i could see the issues that people complain of when watching the pitch on the pio. ( i dont watch football so its not an issue for me, but will be for others).

Also the footage of the couple on the boat in venice, the background was better on the pio, but the skin tones, were more realistic on the panasonic

The salesman did point out he felt the pio looked more pixelated up close than the pany did, and i could see what he was getting at.

I also noticed the yellow/orange comet logo on the white background had distinct margins and no shadow on the pany, but a touch of ghosting on the pio.

I spent half an hour playing with the settings on each, but i kept trying to make the panasonic look like the pioneer. I think that says which i preferred. But i did go back again twice, just to check i couldnt change something else to make them look the same.

I was in the shop last week and then the pany bet the 435 hands down.
    This week, im going with the 436, despite the negative things ive said about it.

The saleperson did however say that if i was willing to buy it today, she could do it for me(she could ;) at the price of the panasonic at £2500. It was on for £2800 including speakers, i didnt notice if it included the stand but delivery, in three days time was an option.

The panel only arrived in the shop on saturday, todays monday so it wouldnt have many hours on the panel.

I think ill go back tomorrow morning for another look just to double check i feel the same about the negative points and try to see some dvd through it.

If anyone can tell me the contrast, colour, brightness settings theyre using on their 435, it would help get the best picture when i go back tomorrow.

If i recall it was set to

Contrast 30-(50%)
    brightness +1
    sharpness -6
    Cant recall the colour setting and tint was neutral.

Hope this helps

PS there was the hitachi 7200 next to the pany, but i didnt spend any time looking at that.( being terribly unfair, and at risk of offending hitachi owners,) i think that says what i thought of it.

2. 6022tivo

6022tivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Just for others ref, the 436 is £2498 on the comet website offer.

3. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    @birdseed, thanks for posting your impressions. Two things:

(1) You sometimes compared the "Pio" against the "Pioneer". You might want to edit your post to correct that. Otherwise we don't know what you mean. One of those sure should read "Panasonic".

(2) Which is the football pitch problem you're talking about in the Pio?

4. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    did u notce notoce any juddering with pioneer

5. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Madshi,
    Thanks for the feedback, you spotted my "deliberate" mistake. edited as above, please repost if ive missed any.

I believe most plasmas have problems with football pitches looking unrealistic, im not implying its a problem unique to pioneer. I believe what people mean, and what i saw was artificial greens, and hence patches of one green next to another, it looked like watching a computer game. The panasonic was the better of the two, on that front, I felt it was almost non existant on the pany, but an issue, albeit a small one on the pioneer.

Longy,

Im not sure what aspect of it you mean judders, i dont recall noticing any, but if you pose the question a diferent way, ill try to answer better for you.

Best regards all,

Oh yeah, i just saw prc direct are doing it for 2450 with 2 yr warranty, anyone with any experience of them?

6. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    yeah sorry mate , when the picture pans left or right ,ive heard the panasonics are pretty good at this

7. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Longy,
    It wasnt something i was looking for, but i dont recall noticing a problem with that on either of them. Ill look for it tomorrow though and report back.

8. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Didnt make it back to shop as promised, but looking around on the net for prices, the comet deal online at £2500 including speakers and table stand seems pretty good, given the speakers and stand retail at £200 each,.

I plan to buy it next week, from comet unless my local hifi shop which is advertising at £2800 can give me a good deal including mounting. Is anyone interested in the speaker and table mount for a reasonable price? I need to fund my wall mounting bracket for the 436.

PS the pioneer website suggests the speakers would do the 435 and 436 but not the 434, the table stand seems generic.

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Bit confusing there - would suit the 435 and 436 but not the 436 ???

BTW, also available here with 3 year guarantee.

Cheers,

Martin.