Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just Seen: HBO's The Wire (Season 1)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gary D, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    After a couple of abortive attempts to watch this - i've finally finished the whole 13 episode season in two days :eek:

its one of the best TV cop shows i've seen in recent years. if your a fan of "the shield" then you will love it, although its not as "action" orientated as Vic and his team.

It follows one case (trying to catch a Kingpin drug lord) all the way through like Murder One, 24, et al so its not as episodic as some dramas. But this adds to the depth and richness of the story. being HBO, episodes last about and hour each but long term HBO's fans will know that this an elastic concept :D

Its intelligent, witty, heart breaking and immersive. fantastic direction, a script and never sounds contrived or forced and acting right out of the top draw. it even credits the viewer with some intelligence by not having a "previously on the wire" bit at the beginning.

loved it - roll on season 2 :D

Gary

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I had my doubts at first but it is a series that grows on you and rewards the effort involved in sticking with it and will be a must watch when it returns to FX.

3. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I gave up before the end of the first episode. All I could hear was unnecessarily foul language. Did it get better after the first 20 minutes?
    I'm not a prude and loved the Sopranos for example where the swearing was in context with the storyline. With the wire it just seemed totally gratuitous.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Since I have no experice of working in an under funded and over worked US inner city police force it's hard to know for sure if this is indeed reflective but I would not be surprised if strong language is pretty much run of the mill.
    As for The Sopranos it wouldn't surprise me if the writing actually played down the language used in the club and when the guys met away from their families.

I take it you don't watch Deadwood?
    :)

I think you made the right decision if 20mins was enough for you, if you can not accept strong language as "normal" for the situation and setting then the show would not have improved by your standards.
    One murder scene actually consisted of the two detectives saying "fudge" and variations thereof with no other dialogue for over 5 minutes and you understood exactly what they meant by the inflection:)

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    do i take it that you have never been around many poor people? swearing is a way of life. i dont think the swearing in the wire was over the top (how can you say it was out of context?. go to a poor estate and listen to the people talk. i've worked drug rehab units and remand centres and the foul language is nothing out of place. Or turn on an episode of jerry spinger and listen to that. personally i think that things like eastenders are very unreal as they have no swearing.

Gary

6. Senrap

Senrap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Starbust and Gary D,

Thanks for your responses.

I do know what the real world is like and I know that for many, swearing is a normal form of expression, irrespective of their financial status

I have no problem with swearing on film or tv but for some reason I hate the words "mother f " and in the case of The Wire, for the first 20 minutes the "good guys" appeared to be uttering this every other sentence and that was before I had the opportunity to see any "poor people".

I have never objected to any programme being shown on television and if it is one I don't like, I switch over to something else!

I know people from all walks of life thanks and I suspect some "poor people" would take exception to comments suggesting that using foul language goes with the territory.