Just seen Harry Potter 2

T

Taz

Went last night to High Wycombes all new 'Film works' Cinema (previous UCI) to see Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets.

The Film is a lot darker than the first, more grown up but very simular to HP & TPS there are some fantastic digital effects, some of the best i've seen in a while the quidditch flying scene and the flying car were very well done, but (for me) it still remained too alike to the first. The sound track was nothing out of the ordinary but 2 or 3 times it made use of the DTS it was presented in. Picture, - if it was mustard it would have been whole grain! on the greys but the blacks were nice and dark and there are a lot of them! This was the first advance showing in the UK and the cinema was not even 1/2 full so maybe Mr Potter is coming to an end at the movies?

IMHO you would have to be a true fan to sit and enjoy every second having said that my Mrs is a big fan and she loved it and wants to go back!

I give it an average 3 / 5

Taz.:cool:

Gonna go see it today if there's any tickets available in Brighton Odeon.

To change the direction a fraction........ given the inevitable presence of kids running about, talking, screaming, rattling popcorn.....blah blah blah....... i have decided to postpone viewing until a later dvd date

ad

Just seen it as well in a packed auditorium!

I was a little disapointed with this film it didnt quite live up to my expectations. When will Hollywood learn that CGI characters just spoil movies:mad:

Jason Issacs was excellant as Malfoy tho
As with the first film some terrible acting in there as well.

Taz I thought the sound was excellant especially the bass the best Ive heard in my local Warner Brothers.

Overall 4 / 5

Taz whats the new cinema like, havent been to "wycombe 6" for years.

Originally posted by Geezer
Taz whats the new cinema like, havent been to "wycombe 6" for years.

In actual fact its very nice, only just finished their multi million refit, very posh foyer, now has a pizza parlor, a Nescafe cafe, a big bar, etc. all the screens have had new seats at an angle where you could see the screen if you had the Harlem Globetrotters sat in front of you! And they have been given Dolby Digital / DTS back in all screens after they lost the licences for not keeping up standards best of all there are some monster bass transducers under the floor in all screens They have done a great job with it, prices are now £5.25 to compensate for the work! Just a pity they didnt refit all the bl**dy dopes that work there!:D Its now called 'The Filmworks!'

Just a quick point

I'd have to agree with Stealther the sound in HPCOS was excellent with some truley thunderous bass. Watched the film at Warner Bros in Harrow last night and it was packed. Credit to the kids watching the film they were very disciplined, even during the middle section which I found to drag slightly.

3/5

Saw this yesterday at Leicester Square Odeon. Didn't hear a peep out of the 70% children in the audience, apart from the obigatory oohs & arghs and screams.

Much better film than the first, with excellent casting. Particularly Mark Williams & Jason Isaacs.

Very dark and scary, although they bottled the violence in one scene at the end, choosing to show it in silohette.

Best CGI spiders since ELF and what a boffo sound mix. Bass heavy and cheeky to boot.

Look forward to owning this on DVD.

I thought this better than the first simply because it could go straight to the story this time without having to introduce the characters.

Sound was excellent and the effects were good. The cast plus new faces were all good especially the excellent Isaacs.

Left wondering who will play Dumbledore in the next film.

4/5

Originally posted by Taz
In actual fact its very nice, only just finished their multi million refit, very posh foyer, now has a pizza parlor, a Nescafe cafe, a big bar, etc. all the screens have had new seats at an angle where you could see the screen if you had the Harlem Globetrotters sat in front of you! And they have been given Dolby Digital / DTS back in all screens after they lost the licences for not keeping up standards best of all there are some monster bass transducers under the floor in all screens They have done a great job with it, prices are now £5.25 to compensate for the work! Just a pity they didnt refit all the bl**dy dopes that work there!:D Its now called 'The Filmworks!'

Sounds a lot better might have to go check it out,

As the title suggests I went to see the movie. I have read the first two books prior to this movie and I though the second was book had more fun and excitement. Sure enough the movie showed this however this does not mean that that movie was great. The adults actors did a great job however the children struggled at times. In general the story had some great scary moments but on the whole it reminded me of a 80s children fanstasy film which is a compliment however it doesn't offer anything new.

As expected they knocked off quite a few bits a bobs from the book, especially my favourite, de-gnoming the garden and the lack of screen time for Ron's siblings.

Even John Williams didn't give anything that I could leave humming to or admire.

On the whole a weak 4/5 from a book fan, 3.5/5 for a movie goer.

My mate not a book fan had bit of trouble keeping up with the pace, but hey that might be 'cause he was eating all the popcorn :)

YJ

on a side note i thought the release was the 15th, yet starcity were showing it.

I think most places were doing a week of 'previews'. :D

but it's a children's film of a childrens book!!

This fact was brought out by the fact that almost every piece of information about the characters or Hogwarts turned out to be relevant later on! Therefore the film is hardly going to be that gripping if you can sit in the auditorium thinking "best make a note of that - I bet it'll be important!"

Having said that, I took the kids (3 & 5) to the Warner multiplex in Reading, and found it quite watchable ... scared the jobbies out of the kids, though!!!

Originally posted by Taz
In actual fact its very nice, only just finished their multi million refit, very posh foyer, now has a pizza parlor, a Nescafe cafe, a big bar, etc. all the screens have had new seats at an angle where you could see the screen if you had the Harlem Globetrotters sat in front of you! And they have been given Dolby Digital / DTS back in all scr....

Such a shame that there's NO legroom if you're more than 5' 2". I end up going to the Warner in Reading more and more now, you can practically lie down in their seats.

Originally posted by [Luc]
Such a shame that there's NO legroom if you're more than 5' 2". I end up going to the Warner in Reading more and more now, you can practically lie down in their seats.

EH! I'm over 6 foot and have no problem with Wycombes seats!:confused:

Maybe you have extra long legs! ;) :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom