Just seen: Ghost in the Shell (R0 DVD)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My second manga/anime film after "Perfect Blue" and I start to like those more.
    Perhaps better picture quality than the above and another interesting story line (sci-fi) make this a very enjoyable DVD - but strictly for the adults only.
    English soundtrack comes in 5.1 and is pretty good though not rears are not overly used.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Reiner,

"Ghost In The Shell" was released as both a Region 1 and a Region 2/4 DVD, but not as Region 0. They are slightly different in content, in that the R1 version has all the content accessible on any DVD player, whereas the R2/4 version has some of the same content, accessible on DVD-Rom only. Plus, the R2/4 version didn't have a proper widescreen print. (Some problems in the encoding process, I believe!)

Personally, go for the R1 version, and not the inferior R2/4 disc.

Oh, and the film is brilliant, as is "Perfect Blue". Can't wait till the new, remastered version of "AKIRA" comes out in July on Region 1 DVD, as a Double-DVD set!!! Stonking or what?!

Pooch

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bought it in Australia and there was no region label on the back, hence I assumed it's R0 ... could be wrong though and it may be the R2/R4 version you mention.

Have you seen Princess Monokoke? Any good / worth getting?

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've borrowed some anime of a mate who's using them to learn Japanese. He rates princess Monokoke as even better than ghost in the shell (which I've seen), but princess is R1 so I haven't seen it yet.

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick Review:

Princess Monokoke - Superb R1 Disc, Superb Anime Film best watched in Jap with Subtitles but also has a *reasonably* decent Dubbed track (has high WAF).

Regards Neil.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Reiner,

Jenz is right: "Princess Mononoke" is probably the best Anime film I've seen in a long time, though "Perfect Blue", and "G.I.T.S." all come close to being the best!

However, whilst the quality of the DVD is fab, the extras are pitiful. All you get is a trailer, and one, piddling little featurette approximately 5 minutes in length! Typical "Buena Vista" release really!

This is one of those DVD's you buy, for the film and not for all the additional extras. However, "Buena Vista" could easily have added loads of behind-the-scenes stuff! If you want to see how the whole thing came to be, check out "Princess Mononoke: The Art and Making of Japan's Most Popular Film Of All Time"! It's an expensive (£27-99) full-colour, hardback book, that lovingly details all of the stuff about how P.M. was created, and how some of the scenes were produced.

The book should be available in your local Waterstones. The ISBN is 0-7868-6609-8 and is published by Hyperion, New York/Studio Ghibli. A fab coffee-table book!

Pooch

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Okay, you guys convinced me, will put it on order.
    Not interested in the extras actually, just the movies do it for me.

Thanks chaps!