1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Seen - From Hell

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Beek1, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Beek1

Beek1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caught a preview screening of the Hughes Brother's adaptation of Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell's fantastic graphic novel last night, and after going in with very low expectations (despite the fact I've loved the Hughes Brothers' other films, most comic book adaptations suck), I've got to say that I enjoyed it. Sure it cuts back a lot of the occult material which made the graphic novel so compelling, but as a Hollywood take on Jack the Ripper it's actually pretty damn good. All the cast bring their characters to life (and thankfully Depp and Graham's English accents don't grate), with Robbie Coltrane stealing the film, and visually the film is a masterpiece. The only real downsides are the fact that by amalgamating Inspector Abeline and the psychic from the graphic novel into one character, they've just made the investigation of the case too easy (I'd rather have seen more detctive work involved) and that the whole tag line about the Jack 'giving brith to the 20th Century' is kind of lost in the film now that the story has been pruned of the previously mentioned occult stuff and flashes of the modern day during the Ripper's crimes. Still, this is pretty good stuff which should go down a treat when it opens over here in February.
    And I can't sign off without saying how excited I am, as my ticket for Monday's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring press screening arrived this morning. I'll post my verdict on that film early next week.