Just seen at the Cinema: My Little Eye

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by James45, Oct 4, 2002.

1. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just saw this at the opening of the Leeds International Film Festival and director Marc Evans introduced the film as an "experiment in the unpleasant" which sums it up perfectly. My Little Eye does for reality TV shows what the Blair Witch Project did for woodland.
    Five people answer an internet ad for a reality based webcast, the nutshell: spend six months in a creepy mansion in the frozen wilds of Canada being filmed 24hrs a day and if no-one leaves the house the 'contestants' get to share $1million between them.
    Just as in the Blair Witch strange things start to occur and the less macho members of the group start to feel all is not well but the others - with both eyes firmly on the million dollars - persuade them not to leave saying that "the game is just [email protected] with them".
    Filmed on video from the point of view of the cameras in the house My Little Eye manages some great 'jump out your seat' scares and uses a creepy soundtrack (what Marilyn Manson should have done for Resident Evil) to great effect. At the start of the film you 'log on' to the site and throughout modem dial-ups, hard drive hums and system beeps help crank up the tension.
    My Little Eye also features a cracking sex scene with a belter of a song, featuring some filthy lyrics, which I must find to play in the car.
    Grainy night vision cameras also add to the chill-factor creating some nasty visual imagery and the end product is a good little film which will find its way into my DVD collection eventually (can't wait for those surround effects) and shows what is possible with a budget of just $2m. If you liked the Blair Witch you'll love this!

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's good too hear that for once a film might live up to all the hype it's being getting. I first heard of this film about three or four months ago and have been waiting too hear what it was like ever since.

I have been getting a bit bored with all these 12 cert horror films and this is a film that sounds like it's meant for adults for a change.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the min-review James, I'm so glad the film worked in your eyes.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Hopefully with the US Ring also meant to be very good, it may mean Hollywood looks to these kind of more adult/psychological horror films as the way to go forward.

If they can combine these types of stories, with big budgets and a sly eye on what Korean and other Asian country films are doing at the moment, we could see a new era of truly great horror films.

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,188
    Here's a few more horror/"extreme" movies playing at the Leeds festival. I don't know the dates/times, but if Leeds was closer (and I hadn't vowed never to return to that scumhole) I think I'd have to see some of them. Avalon would be a real belter on the big screen

Versus
    Audition
    Avalon
    Cure
    Dark Water
    Dagon
    Dead or Alive
    Evil Dead
    From Beyond
    City of the Living Dead
    Happpiness of the Katakuris
    Ichi the Killer
    Kichiku
    Man Bites Dog
    My Little Eye
    Re-Animator
    Ring 1 + 2
    St johns Wort
    X

Definitely some worth checking out.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're there, DO NOT MISS Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetary man) which screens at 12.30am, 13 October.

I was lucky enough to see it in Times Square when it first opened there and it is a very classy horror film.

6. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    listings are at www.leedsfilm.com

glad you like cemetery man I'm doing the Night of the Dead 2 next saturday, back to back horror from sat 10pm until sun 8am, cemetery man is playing as part of that!! But what the hell is Rupert Everett doing in it!!:eek: :eek:

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I'm jealous :blush:

Everett must have been a little skint around the early 90s... I doubt he'd relish the thought of working with Anna Falchi's 'acting' talents again. After all, the only good things about her aren't much use to him :D

8. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh and I have a press pass so it's all free as well!:D :D

Looking forward to Cemetery Man sounds completely mad, also a new print of the Evil Dead is playing at about 3am.
    To be honest tomorrow' Lovecraft day sounds better featuring Wendigo, Necronomicon, From Beyond, Re-animator and Dagon. And stuart gordon who directed re-animator and dagon is there all day introducing the films.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I weren't convinced that you're an alright kinda guy James, I'd surely despise you with a passion on hearing that :D

10. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good review James, spoilers nicely avoided.
    I'm definitely catching this one next week.

Cheers, Paul

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my little eye was quite good the score added to its creepiness

however

it's very very very very stupid

as was BWP when you thought about it

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd never heard of My Little Eye til I started seeing the trailers on TV!

Sounds good though - when's the DVD out (I prefer to savour horror in my own home :devil:)

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so are most films when you think about it tho, a little suspension of belief helps!

14. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    me an a few of the boys went to see this tonight an i have to say i never heard of this film an had no idea what it was either.i have to say the first 45 mins seemed to drag a few little things happened then nothing for a while.but when it was revealed what it was all about i was gripped i liked the way it was filmed an the score was creepy aswell.be prepared for a bit of a wait before stuff to get started but after that its disturbing to say the least.i had a look round the cinema as it was kickin off an the faces on most people where of shock an i for one am happy i have seen it.id give it 3 an a half out of 5 :D

15. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this on Saturday night and I must say I found it very boring. It was predictable. Uninvolving tripe. The last 20 minutes are the only bits worth watching and I nearly didn't see that cos I wanted to walk out.

I won't be getting this on DVD.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally saw MLE on Saturday night. Yes, it was daft in places (one pivotal moment especially) and it did seem to take a while to get into it's stride but overall I thought it was great overall. Nice to see some novel camera/direction work and as mentioned on here, the soundtrack works perfectly.

The best part for me was getting to the cinema early, being a little upset that even on Saturday night the place was empty, then watching as about 200 18 year olds wandered in and then seeing about 6 people walk out of the film. 'Scream' it isn't.

Any film that people walk out of is fine with me ;)

17. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    A shame, it could have been really good, but unfortunately they missed the mark - by a long way.

Predictable,
    no real suspense,
    missed out on making it really scary - considering the environment it was set in, and the way it was filmed they could have done so much more
    Uninvolving

what a shame,

finally, it didn't help that it had trailers for what appear to be some very scary movies on before...

I spent the whole film wishing they'd play the trailers again.

:(

Blair witch was much better.