1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Seen: Alexander (Directors Cut)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Jan 9, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Well, i'm out the other end of nearly 3 hours of historical epic - phew. So, is it the mess you've been lead to believe it is?

Alexander the Great, one of the greatest military commanders in human history, If BBC2's Time Commanders is to be believed his tactics are still taught today, nearly two and a half thousand years later. Although you wouldn't know of his military prowess from this film. Prowess that enabled him to expand an empire across half of asia. To form the largest empire the world had known to that point

The film focus's on Alexanders whole life - his realitionship with his mother (Angelina Jolie) and the shadow of his father (Val Kilmer). Unfortunatly the films scope is just too large, cramming in everything, meaning that some characters and situations are introduced and then glossed over. The story is told through flash backs that are all over place, zipping about in time - leading to a feeling of disorientation. The battles are huge, massive numbers of solidrs which i assume are CG. but this leads them to be very confusing. However they very bloody - think drenched. :eek:

However, the most jarring aspect is the fact that everyone speaks with an Irish accent. You get used to it after a while, but its a bit weird. i'm not suggesting that a bunch of actors with new york accents would have been acceptable, its just strange to see even non irish actors speaking with the blarney lilt.

So, while i really wanted to like it, i'm sorry to say i cant - it's a mess. See i could get through the whole post without mentioning Gladiator :D D'oh!