1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Seen a Pioneer 436

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Sep 17, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,358
    Just been to my local Sevenoaks Sound and Vision to see a Pioneer 436.

It was difficult to make comparisons becuase it was the only plasma in the shop. What I would say is that it looked pretty good but it didn't leap out as something special.

I know a lot of it is down to set up but I have been in other shops (including Comet and Currys) where certain plasmas have stood out from the rest.

As I said perhaps it was because there was nothing to compare with and maybe I'm just getting used to them.

What was more interesting was the feeds. They showed both terrestial freeview showing SD and a Belgian satellite feed showing HD.

The interesting thing about the HD feed was that it was genuine broadcast material not specially prepared demos. The demos I've seen in JL and Comet have been spectacular but this was just orindary. The HD material varied from football to old Thunderbirds (Gerry Anderson) to the Aviator movie. All of these looked pretty ordinary, hardly better than SD. When I commented on this, the salesman said that HD content really varied from channel to channel and searched through a few more for me. Eventually we found what looked like a National Geographic program on African widelife - this was spectacular.

For me this was very interesting because it shows that the quality of current broadcast HD material varies greatly and the reality is that most of it is much poorer than the demos that are being shown.

This has really swung me back to SD plus a scaler and consider HD in a few years time.

If you want to see for yourself, this was at Sevenoaks in Crawley.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also saw the 436 they had in crawley earlier in the week. I really cant say i disagree with anything you said above. The HD feed looked good, but i didnt come away with the burning urge to buy one.

I saw the freeview feed and it looked "acceptable", until an advert came on for one of those stupid insurance ads came on, the salesman face was teribly pixelated.

To be fair to the set when i saw it, it was only a couple of days old, and the plasma, im assuming wasnt burned in by that point. Thought id add that in its defence.

( i did see the pv500 today with sky in a panasonic shop. the picture on sky ranged from acceptable( knowing that skyHD is coming) to again bloody awful. On the rugby on bbc1, i finally saw what people criticise plasmas about when they display pitches. Howver on the same channel slightly later, the golf looked quite satisfactory)

3. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    which one did you prefer?? i think it seems there pretty much the same

4. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I havent seen enough to make that decision yet, but if i had too, based on what id seen so far, and excluding any other aesthetic or mounting issues, id have to say the pv500 had it.

Having said that however, the HD demo on the 436 didnt have this blocking effect on the pitch that the 500 did, but im comparing apples to oranges regarding the feeds, so its not a fair comparison

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626

The Rugby did look great, a mate called me who just got his PV500 last week to say it looked really bad and what should he do, anyway after adjusting some picture settings he said it looked stunning, he had it on Cinema mode and everything at 50% but by the time he finished setting it up yesterday he said the contrast was nearer 25-30% and colour below 40%, he said there was such a fine line (like one click on the remote) between it looking stunning and the whole picture falling to pieces, so it just goes to show you really must get the remote when in a shop and have a play.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello all

One key point (for those who will swallow the extra cost) with the 06XDE is the ability for owners to have these displays calibrated by a pro and have two additional user selectable 'Menu' options - you can add a Daytime and a NIghtime setting over and above the usual Cinema, Game, Dynamic modes.

The guys who undertake configuration/calibration work for owners all swear out loud whenever a PV500 is mentioned.

I think too you have to take your time if your going to really try and eyeball these displays - you need to see them with a range of video and film source material and of course SD and HD broadcasts if that's what your primary source is going to be; not easy but that's the challenge for those who constantly advocate 'dealer demo's'.

Best regards

Joe